autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Desperately need new microfibers ...

Whatever route you decide, Don.....

I would strongly suggest that you invest in the largest PFM drying towel that you deem useful.

Don't sweat the price. (I did for a long while, and want to kick myself for not buying one sooner).

They are worth EVERY penny, and you'll have them for years.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

2. Likes luckydawg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Whatever route you decide, Don.....

I would strongly suggest that you invest in the largest PFM drying towel that you deem useful.

Don't sweat the price. (I did for a long while, and want to kick myself for not buying one sooner).

They are worth EVERY penny, and you'll have them for years.
    Since I started using an electric leaf blower to dry my car, there is very little water left on the surface, I was thinking of one or two of the smaller ones. I heard the big one can be difficult to handle.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    Since I started using an electric leaf blower to dry my car, there is very little water left on the surface, I was thinking of one or two of the smaller ones. I heard the big one can be difficult to handle.
    Yeah, that's why I said "largest one you deem useful". A lot of guys say the largest ones are "too large".

With a full sized truck, I disagree. I also like to use my blower to dry.

But remember, sometimes it isn't practical to crank the blower (early in the AM), and a PFM will dry my entire truck with no blower at all.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

This one is on sale and perfect for drying a car. 28x20

Griot's Garage PFM Terry Weave Drying Towel - 28 x 20 inches

Surpassing my 16x16 as favorite drying towel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    If you are uber careful with your towels, by this I mean,

Store them when they are clean where they cannot become contaminated.

Store them after using in some type of CLEAN hamper (before washing), where they cannot become contaminated.

Wash then and dry them.

Fold and inspect - the STORE where they cannot become contaminated

Then "yes" that would be a good well-rounded starter supply of microfiber towels. I think we can all agree that Griot's puts out top quality and WELL THOUGHT OUT PRODUCTS.

Agree.

But my blue Griots towels, nice and fluffy to the touch and clean, started to leave lint all over my car when using them to wipe off DA compound and polish residue. Did they just get old or did I do something wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

... would this be a good starting point?

Finest PFM Microfiber Towel Set
    I'll support and confuse some of the other comments.
    The GG package set is a solid purchase but I have to agree that you need a few more depending upon your washing and cleaning process. I have that drying towel and it is everything they claim and others have confirmed. I have their cleaning soap but use it for spot cleaning pads and some hand wash towels. Their PFM towels are a bit small be very high quality.

As to variety, I have purchased and recommended two kits direct from The Rag Company (TRC), The Gold kit is really solid starter and for less money I have bought two Silver kits (out of stock). My neighbor liked the kit so well that he bought a few more of the waffle weave drying towels for his F150. If you ever watch any of the TRC videos, Levi started using those Edgeless 365 short nap towels and it is a towel that can be used 365-days of the year. Not my choice for drying but still a solid performer.
    Ultimate Auto Detailing Microfiber Kit (GOLD Enthusiast) | The Rag Company

I saw Mike Phillip's suggestion and having used those in his classes, they work just fine for all the processing. Yes, you can pick others but each will have a special purpose. Watch some of Mike's reviews that shows the towels and you will see a pattern depending upon the products or process.

I do see comments of towels that start to lint and sometimes it happens and in my case I can trace back to my mistakes. I am so glad that AG offers the TRC towel option in the mix of products. With the frequent promotions it is easy to add a few towels to meet their minimums for free shipping. I normally watch for AG sales as TRC runs specials but only about 6-times a year and then limited selection. And when AG offers a kit with a new product they often add MF towels for the job. That is great as I have picked up so good towels to try and use with the products.

Have a blast!

8. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is getting confusing!

I occasionally use a fairly heavy polish once or twice a year (right now it's been the Hybrid Solutions Polish and Wax) but I primarily use spray sealants and quick detail sprays - I mostly only do my car, but occasionally I will do a family member's car.

My needs are simple. One or two medium sized drying towels, medium because I keep hearing the large ones get unwieldy and aren't good for tight areas and since I've started to blow dry the car, I don't need a big drying towel.

I need a few towels that are good for removing polishes/com.pounds and a bunch of towels for spray sealants and QDs. If these don't work well for windows, I'll need some glass towels too.

I was thinking that TRC and Griots would be my bet bet, but after Mike Phillips said how much he likes the COBRA towels ... well now I don't know.

More confused than ever ....
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Don, I’m about to add more to the confusion, but hopefully it’ll point you in the right direction!

Drying Towel: GG PFM- Griot's Garage PFM Terry Weave Drying Towel - 28 x 20 inches

I know it’ll be a little big as you’ve said, but for the price right now I doubt you’ll find anything better! If you tend to blow dry I honestly would skip the whole “drying towel” and grab a few oversized towels 16x24 or just stick with 16x16 and dedicate them to that use.

Oversized or other 16x16- Cobra Supreme 530 Microfiber Towels, buffing towels, car detail towels, drying towels
    or maybe these- Chinchilla Buffing Cloth Combo, microfiber buffing towels, micro fiber

The combo gives you one of each towel, 16x16 and 16x24, I figured get the combo and see which you like more and then grab a second of whichever size. I believe the combo would be more than enough after blow drying though. Added bonus they’re extra plush so you can use a detailer to pick up any water spots or add a spray wax as you wipe down.

Wax Removal/Polish Removal- 12 Pack Storm Gray Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloth

These towels are great! Maybe grab another pack in a different color, one for polishes one for waxes? The short nap breaks into the polishes and waxes and allows you to transfer your “elbow grease” without the towel biting into the surface and slipping like a longer nap towel would. (Think when you wipe something and the towel sticks but your hand keeps moving and you lose the towel, make sense I hope?)

Quick Detailer/Spray Wax Towels- 16x16 Eagle Edgeless 500 Microfiber Towel - Blue - 5 Pack
    Or these- https://www.autogeek.net/chinchilla-cloths.html

I use the eagles myself quite a bit and they’re wonderful, soft and plush and work so well for waterless washing, quick detailers and spray waxes and for a final buff. Chinchilla towels are similar and a higher GSM for added plushness!

Glass towels-you can use the towels I added in the wax/polishes section if you’d like, your aim here is to have very low nap.

Hope that helps and if I did the math right in my head should be under $100 all in!
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

I use a blower (I never turn it on before 11am) to dry. But I currently use a drying aid because I don't want to drag a towel across the finish without lubrication. So the PFM isnt usable for me given my technique. Would you just use the Eagle Edgeless for that drying aid and buff? I do touch each panel entirely and dont just do "the wet spots"...LOL.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcats98 View Post

I use a blower (I never turn it on before 11am) to dry. But I currently use a drying aid because I don't want to drag a towel across the finish without lubrication.

So the PFM isnt usable for me given my technique.

Would you just use the Eagle Edgeless for that drying aid and buff?

I do touch each panel entirely and dont just do "the wet spots"...LOL.

Because you're blowing off the majority of the water and then misting on a drying aid, I'd say any quality microfiber towel that's good for use with spray detailers and waterless washes would be a good choice.

What's more important is making sure which ever type and brand of towel you use - make sure it's NOT contaminated.

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

13. Thanks Bearcats98 thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast