autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Real World Ceramic Coating Test by Mike Phillips

Real World Ceramic Coating Test by Mike Phillips

After using and writing reviews for these two products,

Review: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Spray Coating

Review: Wolfgang Si02 Paint Sealant

I've been asked numerous times,

How long will this product last?

Of course my simple answer is shared in this article,

How long will a ceramic coating last on my car?

But because it is a good question as far as these two products are concerned I'm happy to apply both to one half of the hood of my car as well as a third coating and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and then simply let some time go by as well as the normal way I would wash and dry or wipe this car. If you read my article above, that's what it says,

How is the car washed? Or in other words, How is the car touched?

Real World Testing

Some of the cars I use products on, in fact a lot of them - I'll never see again. Also, some of the cars I work on, and in fact most of them are Garage Queens, like the 1967 Camaro in the above review for Wolfgang Si02 Paint Sealant. That is a true show car and most of it's life it's going to be inside a Man Cave owned by my buddy John. So to try to show how long the product will last on this type of car is not real world.

Mundane Daily Driver - Real-world Exposure

My own mundane daily driver does is in fact parked outside, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in the hot South Florida sunshine. The ONLY time it gets some shade is partially on the driver's side and here at work after about 2:00pm and the building cast shade on the front of the car. But all-in-all, the car is parked outside and tortured by the sun. Here's some pictures to show how it's parked at home. (it is never actually parked under the awning as my wife's car is parked under the awning)

So today I'll clay and machine polish the hood on the Golden Eagle and then apply 3 different coatings to the passenger side half of the hood.

On the driver's side of the hood I'll apply the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

Stay tuned....

And for what it's worth, I've done LOTS of product testing in my life, much of it when I was at Meguiar's. While it's interesting, I kind of got over it because most quality brands will perform as advertised as long as the collective "WE" read and then follow the directions. Then after that, like mentioned above, WASH, DRY AND TOUCH THE CAR CAREFULLY.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Real World Ceramic Coating Test by Mike Phillips

Looking forward to it. I’ll be doing a similar test that can represent Northeast spring/summer.

Mike Phillips

I went out to the garage and prepped the hood of my car and then went through the steps to correctly do some side-by-side testing. Hopefully this will show some longevity results that will answer everyone's questions and help them to decide which products our best for their cars and their detailing style.

To remove any chance of previously applied products I'll machine sand my hood with Mirka Abralon #4000

Here's lightly sanded....

Now I'll machine compound with a rotary buffer and wool pad to remove 100% of my sanding marks....

Here's sanded before side

Here's machine compounded after side,

Removing the tape - Technique Tip - always pull slow and low at an angle...

Here's what all of the paint will look like after compound and polishing - then I'll chemically strip the paint 3 times.

Will chemically strip using GTechiqu Panel Wipe, GYEON Prep and Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep - after chemically stripping 3 times.

I think it will be safe to assume we are down to bare-naked paint.

Next I'll machine apply the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant to the driver's side. Note: It was chemically stripped 3 times also.

Cover-up towel over the side-by-side testing section to prevent any splatter dots or product sling while machine applying the WG Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

Brand new bottle of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

Using a Lake Country 6.5" black soft foam finishing pad on speed 2 of the FLEX cordless Finisher.

Here's a thin layer of Deep Gloss Paint Sealant drying....

On this side I've taped off 3 equal sections for the side-by-side testing. I'm going to use an CarPro CQuartz as a benchmark for a traditional ceramic paint coating. The reason I chose this products was,

A: I already had a un-opened bottle.
    B: It's as I like to say, an established brand.
    C: I wanted to test the other two products against a non-house brand.

Top section = CarPro CQuartz Ceramic Paint Coating

Middle section = Wolfgang Uber Si02 Spray Coating

Bottom Section = Wolfgang Si02 Paint Sealant

This lowest section is bare-naked paint. After chemically stripping I did nothing else to it.

Before applying the CQuartz and the Wolfgang Uber Si02 Spray Coating, I'll first machine apply the Wolfgang Si02 Paint Sealant. The reason why is the directions state to wait 15 to 20 minutes before wiping off and while I'm waiting I can apply the CQuartz and the Wolfgang Uber Si02 Spay Coating.

Took this pictures after applying the Si02 paint sealant

It's hard to see but there's a thin film of sealant drying in the test section - it's almost turned clear.

Time to wipe-off....

And at this point I have applied and removed,

• CarPro CQuartz Ceramic Paint Coating
    • Wolfgang Uber Si02 Spray Coating
    • Wolfgang Si02 Paint Sealant
    • Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

Each product has been applied and removed according to the manufactures directions. The paint has been thoroughly and properly prepped for a real-world test.

And today's date - Monday, March 30th, 2020 around 2:30pm

The Golden Eagle

The mundane daily driver is now ready to be put back into service as a vehicle that is used and parked outside, exposed to the sun and rain 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I have not decided on how often to wash the hood/car but I figure every other week. Was planning on using a pure soap meant for washing coatings. I have some GYEON Bathe around here somewhere, that would should keep the test un-biased.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Questions?

Post Thanks / Like

Thats awesome Mike. Thanks for putting together for us to see.

The Gyeon or Reset would be the soaps to use.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post

Thats awesome Mike. Thanks for putting together for us to see.

The Gyeon or Reset would be the soaps to use.

I think I'll go with the GYEON - I have an open bottle and it's nothing but pure coating-safe soap.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the test Mike.

May I ask why Mike Phillips' car is the odd man out for the covered parking??
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay Mike,

You have out done all of the YouTubers that test their panels! LOL,

Doing the wet sanding with 4000-grit is absolutely the extreme method to prove you have a clean bare surface. Maybe you have started a trend, but probably not.

Gyeon Bath is a great soap, or so I have heard, never have tried it yet. That will keep the test truly a 'real world' experience and one that supports the AG as supplier for all the great products.

Thanks for taking on this challenge for the team!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Thanks for the test Mike.

May I ask why Mike Phillips' car is the odd man out for the covered parking??
    The reason why is because the "wife's" car gets under cover parking.

10. Likes PaulMys, Thomkirby, UncleDavy liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

Okay Mike,

You have out done all of the YouTubers that test their panels! LOL,

Doing the wet sanding with 4000-grit is absolutely the extreme method to prove you have a clean bare surface. Maybe you have started a trend, but probably not.
    Hey if it helps them with whatever they do, it's all good.

Like I mentioned above, there was a time when I did a LOT of testing for products. I often do compound and polishing testing for companies. I've always shared this stuff on the forum but with 45,503+ Posts on this forum, it can be a tick difficult to find any specific thing I've posted without the right keywords.

Not sure if it's a good thing but I've been testing products probably longer than some on the Internet.

Big Picture being, I'm pretty good at testing stuff in a real work scenario. Doing doomsday type stuff is ridiculous because people in the real world are never going to do that kind of stuff. It's more sensationalism than anything else.

Gyeon Bath is a great soap, or so I have heard, never have tried it yet. That will keep the test truly a 'real world' experience and one that supports the AG as supplier for all the great products.

I have a review for the soap and the mitts. I can't find it.

I'll send the mitts to anyone that kind find my review.

Thanks for taking on this challenge for the team!
    All in a day's car wax work.

12. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The reason why is because the "wife's" car gets under cover parking.

Say no more, Mike.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast