autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Real World Ceramic Coating Test by Mike Phillips

Similar results as me when hood is still dirty. WG CSC not as round/small/impressive of beads as PS and other fine ceramics (in your case CQ).

I’m still trying to determine if prep has anything to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it’s a bit of a tricky color... looks like the SIO2 sealant has a darker and richer look in the beading picture. It that a lighting effect or is it something you can notice in person?

Fun side fact: I have used a lot of WG DGPS in the past. When people come back for another detail 3,6 even 8 months later, it is usually still beading and doing its thing. Makes customers happy! For me, it’s easy on with a machine, super easy off! Also if you machine apply, a bottle can get you about 50ish applications.... rather impressive and a value in my book.
    Jim

3. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

Similar results as me when hood is still dirty.
    And this is why I did my best to photograph and document the film of dirt that has built-up and baked-on.

It's my opinion that this irregular surface texture can and will affect the shape of water beads.

Washing this layer of dirt of should enable water to form the more perfect circular shape of water beading that people love to look at and prescribe to mean better protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

I know it’s a bit of a tricky color... looks like the SIO2 sealant has a darker and richer look in the beading picture. It that a lighting effect or is it something you can notice in person?
    Hi Jim,

Good eyes. And "yes" there is a very dramatic color difference in that section.

For those that might not be able to see what Jim's talking about, perhaps you're looking at the picture on an old monitor or your cell phone, Here's the same picture above only I've drawn a circle around the section that appears to be darker than surrounding paint including the bare-naked paint below it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

Fun side fact: I have used a lot of WG DGPS in the past. When people come back for another detail 3,6 even 8 months later, it is usually still beading and doing its thing. Makes customers happy! For me, it’s easy on with a machine, super easy off! Also if you machine apply, a bottle can get you about 50ish applications.... rather impressive and a value in my book.

I always like the easy-wipe-off characteristic if you let if fully dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    And this is why I did my best to photograph and document the film of dirt that has built-up and baked-on.

It's my opinion that this irregular surface texture can and will affect the shape of water beads.

Washing this layer of dirt of should enable water to form the more perfect circular shape of water beading that people love to look at and prescribe to mean better protection.
    I’m curious to see the new beading after wash and rinse. CSC was still a bit lagging for me even when clean. And when dirty it’s still noticeable that PS and CQ are beading better with the dirt layer.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jim,

Good eyes. And "yes" there is a very dramatic color difference in that section.

For those that might not be able to see what Jim's talking about, perhaps you're looking at the picture on an old monitor or your cell phone, Here's the same picture above only I've drawn a circle around the section that appears to be darker than surrounding paint including the bare-naked paint below it.

I always like the easy-wipe-off characteristic if you let if fully dry.

Could this just be an optical illusion caused from the direction and angle the photo was taken?

It is clearly darker then the bare naked paint, but I can see what appears to be a color variation between each coating where the tape was applied to the hood. I think the PS appears to be darker because it is in the forefront of the photo.
    Nate

2016 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Long Bed Bronze Fire

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nadams18 View Post
    Could this just be an optical illusion caused from the direction and angle the photo was taken?

It is clearly darker then the bare naked paint, but I can see what appears to be a color variation between each coating where the tape was applied to the hood. I think the PS appears to be darker because it is in the forefront of the photo.
    I did a hood test on dark black paint and it was easy to see the darkening effect from PS and CSC compared to bare paint and DGPS. But I couldn’t see any significant darkening difference between the two SiO2 products (maybe the PS just slightly the darkest). So in summary, it seems possible that all 3 ceramics on Mike’s hood darken a lot, similarly).

Post Thanks / Like

Any update on this, Mike? Did you wash in April? Anything new since?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

Any update on this, Mike? Did you wash in April? Anything new since?

Yes I did I just haven't had the time to process the pictures and then post them.

If you look at my posting history, I've been very busy answering new members questions and detailing cars so I can use products and then write real-world reviews.

I'll try to get to the pictures I took on Saturday, May 2nd and then we're almost up to the end of Month 2

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I did I just haven't had the time to process the pictures and then post them.

If you look at my posting history, I've been very busy answering new members questions and detailing cars so I can use products and then write real-world reviews.

I'll try to get to the pictures I took on Saturday, May 2nd and then we're almost up to the end of Month 2

Thanks Mike! It’ll be cool to get two updates close together.

Don’t rush on my part, I was just interested but know you’ve been reviewing and responding a lot lately.

Mike Phillips

On Saturday, May 2nd, approximately 32 days after starting the test, I washed the car and took a few pictures.

Here's dirty, dry paint, ready to wash.

I'm using GTechniq Citrus Wash - it's was on a shelf by itself so I grabbed it - no other reason. As you can see, I used some painter's tape to divide the two halves of the hood in two. I'll leave the center sections along.

Rinsing....

Results
    Most of the water flowed off or self-cleaned off the hood.

The next morning before leaving for work, I took a picture of the morning dew that had accumulated on the hood. you can clearly see the test patterns.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast