autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

How to do a Test Spot and then buff out your car! Video Explanation by Mike Phillips

How to do a Test Spot and then buff out your car! Video Explanation by Mike Phillips

This is my opinion is one of the best videos Yancy and I have ever made together and also one of the easiest to follow, understand and then implement the techniques video on the topic.

I coined the term Test Spot for this industry so I think I'm qualified to explain how do one as well as WHY to do one.

Test Spot - The story behind the story...

This is good too...

The two reasons WHY you should always do a Test Spot before buffing out any car

2. Likes Dano shine, MadDrinks liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: How to do a Test Spot and then buff out your car! Video Explanation by Mike Phillips

Personal request...

I share the link to this article a LOT. If you're reading this and I've sent you the link to this article to help you learn how to machine polish - PLEASE join this forum.

This is where I PREFER to answer questions and help people. When I answer questions on this forum THOUSANDS of people will see the answers and information for YEARS.

When I answer questions in an EMAILL - only one set of eyeballs will ever see the information and that's simply NOT a good leverage of my typing time.

Make sense?

Chances are you found me by doing a Google search that led you to this forum where you FOUND information.

You didn't use Google to find an e-mail I replied to someone answering their questions. (think about it)

So please - consider joining this forum as this is where I MUCH prefer to interact with people. .

Click here to join the AutogeekOnline.net Car Detailing Discussion Forum

Thank you

Mike Phillips

Re: How to do a Test Spot and then buff out your car! Video Explanation by Mike Phillips

And be sure to read this,

How many pads do you need with an AIO or cleaner/wax?

One of the most common mistakes I see most people new to machine polishing make, be they enthusists or pros, is using to FEW pads for any paint correction step with a compound or polish or any paint correction step using an AIO or in other words, a one-step cleaner/wax.

More pads are better - Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

More....

Be sure to read these two articles and do at least one of the things I show...

How to Monitor Pad Rotation? Mark Your Buffing Pads

Use a combination of Sharpie Markers, both Black and Silver and also touch-up paint can be used.

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation

And here's my quote on this topic....

If the pad is not rotating on a free spinning random orbital polisher - you are not doing anything -Mike Phillips

Ha ha.... there used to be a couple of guys that would try to argue that a pad does not need to rotate in order to remove swirls and scratches, that oscillation was enough - but they've disappeared.

In reality, for any brand of free spinning random orbital polisher, if the pad is NOT rotating, then the oscillation isn't full or true oscillation but close to the pad simply vibrating against the paint. And while some people may try to argue that this vibration of a pad against the paint can and will ABRADE the paint - the abrading will be so minute that it will take you a million years to buff out one 16" by 16" area.

So from a practical point of view, and by this I mean, at some point I need to buff out the car, finish it, get my money, go home, take a shower, eat dinner and go to bed, from this practical point of view, having a pad ONLY oscillate or vibrate against paint with swirls, scratches, water spots and/or oxidation is a waste of time.

If you want to remove below surface paint defects in a sane manner and you're' going to use a free spinning random orbital polisher then the pad MUST rotate and oscillate. Anything else is just wasting time. And this is why I tell people to mark their backing plates or the sides of their buffing pads - so it's easy for your EYES to see what's happening at the surface level. Otherwise the action taking place at the pad-to-paint interface is just a blur.

6. Likes mbkite liked this post
    Mike Phillips

One more related article that EVERYONE should read and understand.

Abrasive Technology - THE most important factor when it comes to polishing paint

Anyone that's been to one of our classes, (car and boat), or read any of my articles concerning polishing paint, (or gel-coat), knows that I always stress the importance of using products that use great abrasive technology.

Why?

This picture tells the whole story.

Click the link below and READ and UNDERSTAND the simple idea it states.

Abrasive Technology - THE most important factor when it comes to polishing paint

You'll be miles ahead of most detailers simply by reading the above article and then thinking about it.

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Whenever you did the first test spot and didn't get the results you wanted how many section passes did you do with the compound when you came back to re do that section?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post

Whenever you did the first test spot and didn't get the results you wanted how many section passes did you do with the compound when you came back to re do that section?

Normally for me, if I'm not getting enough CUT from my first Test Spot - AFTER I do a second Test Spot on a new section of paint, I've probably dialed-in the pad and product to get the job done. This being true, then to RE-POLISH the original Test Spot would require LESS than 8 section passes of the new or second process I've dialed-in.

Think about it - if my second Test Spot - usually 8 section passes of the new pad and product combo FIXES an un-touched section of paint - because I've already done 8 section passes of the first process to the first Test Spot section of paint - it's not going to need the full 8 section passes of the new process because this section of paint has already been abraded.

But - off the top of my head I would say I still do 6-8 section passes just to ensure the defect level is to my satisfaction and to also not have to think about it to much and for the most part - move on.

10. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Normally for me, if I'm not getting enough CUT from my first Test Spot - AFTER I do a second Test Spot on a new section of paint, I've probably dialed-in the pad and product to get the job done. This being true, then to RE-POLISH the original Test Spot would require LESS than 8 section passes of the new or second process I've dialed-in.

Think about it - if my second Test Spot - usually 8 section passes of the new pad and product combo FIXES an un-touched section of paint - because I've already done 8 section passes of the first process to the first Test Spot section of paint - it's not going to need the full 8 section passes of the new process because this section of paint has already been abraded.

But - off the top of my head I would say I still do 6-8 section passes just to ensure the defect level is to my satisfaction and to also not have to think about it to much and for the most part - move on.

Ok, EXCELLENT!!!

Mike, you have no idea how thankful I am!
    I've been needing this cleared up for a long time! How to do a Test Spot and then buff out your car!  Video Explanation by Mike Phillips

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post

Ok, EXCELLENT!!!

Mike, you have no idea how thankful I am!
    I've been needing this cleared up for a long time! How to do a Test Spot and then buff out your car!  Video Explanation by Mike Phillips

Stay tuned, Yancy and I are going to make the definitive video on how and why to do a Test Spot.

13. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Stay tuned, Yancy and I are going to make the definitive video on how and why to do a Test Spot.

I thought this other video you did was absolutely amazing as well. I mean I watched the whole thing and was totally blown away! How to do a Test Spot and then buff out your car!  Video Explanation by Mike Phillips Can't wait for the next video!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast