autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: How to do a Test Spot and then buff out your car! Video Explanation by Mike Phillips

The video in the first post walks you through how to use a Porter Cable polisher but the same techniques apply to any orbital polisher.

I also explain and SHOW in detail - how to do a TEST SPOT.

So important.

Mike Phillips

Re: How to do a Test Spot and then buff out your car! Video Explanation by Mike Phillips

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I should have watched this before the last two Saturdays spent with my Griot's buffer. I'm only halfway in and will watch the rest, but I did not prime the orange pads. Otherwise I think I did a good job of ensuring I had good technique, but may not have the right product mix. I was using Mothers Compound and Finishing Polish, but it makes more sense to use the test spot method with three products available, as the swirl remover may be what I need. I was not happy with the results after two days of attempts - last weekend doing the entire car, and yesterday focusing on just the rear end and the hood. I may have improved the swirl marks a little but they're still visible, and there are other scratches that aren't coming out after multiple attempts of compound followed by finishing polish and orange/white pad combo respectively.

It's hard for me to get good pictures of the swirl marks and scratches even in sunlight with my cell phone camera but I'll give it another shot later today - photo below of the tailgate area which does clearly show a pretty rough rear bumper cover.

I did apply by hand, Mothers Reflections advanced wax, after doing all this, each time. But one thing I'm curious about; any spatter of compound or polish that occurs on areas of the car that are not painted, like rubber trim or wiper blades - what's the best way to get that out? It's pretty stubborn!

One more random question - after using a dedicated load in the washing machine of microfiber towels, mitts, and my foam pads, the orange pad in particular still had white residue on it - not a stain, I could actually feel the residue and see it on my hands. You had linked me to this thread a while back re: how to properly wash the foam pads but not seeing anything about that here:

Training Cars - For the September 2020 Detailing Class

Thank you, as always!

How to do a Test Spot and then buff out your car!  Video Explanation by Mike Phillips-tailgate-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fju2112 View Post
    I did apply by hand, Mothers Reflections advanced wax, after doing all this, each time. But one thing I'm curious about; any spatter of compound or polish that occurs on areas of the car that are not painted, like rubber trim or wiper blades - what's the best way to get that out? It's pretty stubborn!

One more random question - after using a dedicated load in the washing machine of microfiber towels, mitts, and my foam pads, the orange pad in particular still had white residue on it - not a stain, I could actually feel the residue and see it on my hands. You had linked me to this thread a while back re: how to properly wash the foam pads but not seeing anything about that here:

Training Cars - For the September 2020 Detailing Class

Thank you, as always!
    here's one thread on trim. ideally, you'd want to tape/cover things to prevent it. a few options to remove it - all purpose cleaner, dedicated wax remover/trim cleaner, an eraser.

Getting wax off trim

what did you use to wash the pad? maybe try soaking and washing by hand.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! I did not catch the name of the tape that Mike was using on the Chevelle in the Test Spot video, want to be careful not to just use what's laying around.

I just used regular laundry detergent to wash the pad. Is that a no-no? I know there are purpose specific detergents for pads but thought I saw on here that it's fine to use that for microfiber and pads. Happy to wash by hand as well; I imagine it's fine to squeeze it a bit to get excess product out. (I probably used too much product after watching the Test Spot video anyway.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fju2112 View Post
    Thank you! I did not catch the name of the tape that Mike was using on the Chevelle in the Test Spot video, want to be careful not to just use what's laying around.

I just used regular laundry detergent to wash the pad. Is that a no-no? I know there are purpose specific detergents for pads but thought I saw on here that it's fine to use that for microfiber and pads. Happy to wash by hand as well; I imagine it's fine to squeeze it a bit to get excess product out. (I probably used too much product after watching the Test Spot video anyway.)
    Use a scent free and dye free detergent. Tide Free and Gentle, Oxiclean Free, All Free, etc for microfibers. Not sure about the pads. I heard of people hand washing them with a small amount of Dawn, squeezing as much moisture out and then air drying them.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    2021 Ford F-150 XL STX 5.0 Coyote
    2016 Ford Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost
    2010 GMC Acadia 3.6

7. Thanks fju2112 thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll consider myself lucky - I did use a "Oxiclean free" generic type of detergent as that's what we always use. Thank you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12