autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need advice - drying towel and car wash soap

What's up all? I have run into a problem. I am almost out of Meguiar's Hyper Wash and AG is out of stock (1 gallon lasted me 2 years, not bad). I know a lot of you would suggest a RW or WW, but I am old fashioned and like suds - lots of suds and I don't really want a wash & wax or something that will leave "stuff" behind after rinsing the car. That's why I liked the Hyper Wash - it left nothing behind. What would you all suggest?

Secondly, my microfibers aren't very absorbent - I have to dampen them like a chamois (and wring them out a lot) to get them to work well. I don't have the income to let me get a good forced air blower (I'm stuck with an electric leaf blower that is only so-so, it leaves a lot of residual water on the car and I still have to use a mf cloth to mop up what's left. What is a good mf towel to get for strictly drying the car? I was looking at The Rag Company's 'Dry Me a River.' Is that a good option?

Thanks.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice - drying towel and car wash soap

Hyper wash is hard to beat I’m currently half way through my gallon. Only thing close that I’ve used is griots concentrated car wash. It works just as good but expensive and requires more per gallon then hyper wash. I currently use griots pfm drying towel it works good but I’m going to invest in a dryer.

3. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    What's up all? I have run into a problem. I am almost out of Meguiar's Hyper Wash and AG is out of stock (1 gallon lasted me 2 years, not bad). I know a lot of you would suggest a RW or WW, but I am old fashioned and like suds - lots of suds and I don't really want a wash & wax or something that will leave "stuff" behind after rinsing the car. That's why I liked the Hyper Wash - it left nothing behind. What would you all suggest?

Secondly, my microfibers aren't very absorbent - I have to dampen them like a chamois (and wring them out a lot) to get them to work well. I don't have the income to let me get a good forced air blower (I'm stuck with an electric leaf blower that is only so-so, it leaves a lot of residual water on the car and I still have to use a mf cloth to mop up what's left. What is a good mf towel to get for strictly drying the car? I was looking at The Rag Company's 'Dry Me a River.' Is that a good option?

Thanks.
    I have so many soaps and my next one to try is the 3D soap as the head Chemist/Owner at 3D gave a great explanation with Mike Phillips. That said my Griots Garage soap is solid buy, but then again the new DP product would be a good start to see how it works and well priced.

I you need drying towels AG has great options. I use both Rag Company and Griots Garage, the secret is to use higher quality towels. My neighbor bought the Rag company bundle and went back and bought more of those dry me a river as they worked great. I use the puffel towel, double twistress 20x24 Double Twistress Detailing Towel - Gray ,and the dry me a river in various sizes.

If your car is protected then the corded leaf blower will do the job. Mine is the Worx corded 540 model at $45 and use it first and then use a drying aid and the towels mentioned above.

And a test for your MF quality, if you throw it into a bucket of water and it floats, not good. Push into the water and it still float? Then use it only on interior surfaces and buy a better quality.

5. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just look for a quality soap where you can find it. I just tilt the bottle to see how thick it is, I stay away from the watery stuff. As far as drying towels IMHO nothing beats a Griot's PFM, however I do have a few of the ones you mentioned and they do a nice job. Meguiars Water Magnet towel is pretty good and can be had here at AGO or many local stops.

7. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Look to Griots for this solution. Their car wash provides good suds and rinses cleanly. Their PFM drying towel is superb.

9. Likes Don M, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Optimum soap and has a nice dilution ratio of .5oz per gallon. The DP soap is also really nice.

Before you give up on your current drying towel, I suggest soaking it in some water with a few oz of APC then washing as normal. That may bring it back to life.
    Jim

11. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

P & S Renny Doyle Double Black Pearl Auto Shampoo is amazing stuff.

This was covered in a couple weeks worth of pollen before using this shampoo.

The pictures pretty much tell it all.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

13. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    P & S Renny Doyle Double Black Pearl Auto Shampoo is amazing stuff.

This was covered in a couple weeks worth of pollen before using this shampoo.

The pictures pretty much tell it all.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    I’ve been in that car ... just saying.

I’ve always been a fan of CarPro Reset as a soap & Griots PFM drying towels are fantastic too, even the CarPro DHydrate towels are pretty sharp. Hard to get P&S down here but I don’t think they make any rubbish, so another solid choice I’m sure.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

15. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Likes custmsprty, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    Look to Griots for this solution. Their car wash provides good suds and rinses cleanly. Their PFM drying towel is superb.
    UD said it all.

I love HW, but Griot's Brilliant Finish is an excellent soap. Tons of suds, pH balanced, smells great and rinses clean.

As for the PFM drying towel, just get one and never look back. I used mine again last night, and I still smile and shake my head at how incredible it works.

It dried my full-sized Ram after a traditional 2-bucket wash without the use of any blower, and was still gulping up the water on the last panel.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

17. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve also just used up the last of my gallon of Hyper Wash. I’ve still got a few different soaps on my shelf to go through, so I don’t have to order anything just yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post
    I have so many soaps and my next one to try is the 3D soap as the head Chemist/Owner at 3D gave a great explanation with Mike Phillips.
    I agree with this ^ [3D Pink] and it’s the soap I was going to recommend.. It’s a great value, leaves nothing behind, has great cleaning power while still not stripping your lsp, and an added bonus it produces alot of suds.

3D Pink Car Soap 128 oz.

I’ve heard that P&S soap doesn’t produce alot of suds. It wouldn’t surprise me since it’s the only traditional soap I’ve heard of that can also be used as rinseless wash. So you might want to keep that in mind since you mentioned liking suds.

19. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast