autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

COVID-19, Game plan???

With the outbreak turning our approach upside down to car care---

What precaution are you taking in dealing interiors?
    Hazmat suits? High quality disinfectant? Etc....

Me...maybe stay home! Dunno tho...?

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Re: COVID-19, Game plan???

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks....

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    With the outbreak turning our approach upside down to car care---

What precaution are you taking in dealing interiors?
    Hazmat suits? High quality disinfectant? Etc....

Me...maybe stay home! Dunno tho...?

Tom

Hi Tom,

Long time no see.... hope your detailing business is doing great!

As for dealing with this virus, I think following all the good advice that's being circulated online and on most news channels on TV is a good start.

• Wash hands often.
    • Don't touch your face.
    • Avoid places and events that have large crowds.

While I believe in being pro-active, at some point, all you can do is all you can do and then move forward.

5. Likes mbkite, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to minimize this situation in any way, but speaking with my parents in Florida, they said that this is common during hurricane season. This is now just affecting the entire country and many parts of the world and probably to a much higher degree.

Unlike a hurricane that you can prep for and be in the clear within a week(if lucky and no water damages, power loss etc) I feel we’re gonna have to ride this out a month or so till we really get any answers.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

I think the biggest thing anyone can do is educate themselves. Viruses and bacteria don't transmit the same way. Viruses transmit primarily by being airborne. You cannot typically become infected by a virus from a hard surface. The exception would likely be a case where someone sneezed/coughed and wet particles landed on a hard surface. You touch the surface before it dries and then rub your eye - or something similar to that.

So why, you may wonder, are top people in health care not hammering this home? Well they are when they say to remain 3-6 feet away from others ( I've been told the throw from a cough or sneeze makes 12 foot a much better number. But that's not usually practical.). The wiping of surfaces is a hold over of good hygiene.

A family member of mine who is in this field confirmed this when I talked to her recently. She told me that when she was an undergrad she had a professor who had been one of the top people at the CDC. The professor told them that all the cleaning and hand washing wasn't going to help against viruses. But, it was 'good hygiene' (to protect against the other nasties) so they didn't want to say anything that would lessen peoples drive to keep things clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    I think the biggest thing anyone can do is educate themselves. Viruses and bacteria don't transmit the same way. Viruses transmit primarily by being airborne. You cannot typically become infected by a virus from a hard surface. The exception would likely be a case where someone sneezed/coughed and wet particles landed on a hard surface. You touch the surface before it dries and then rub your eye - or something similar to that.

So why, you may wonder, are top people in health care not hammering this home? Well they are when they say to remain 3-6 feet away from others ( I've been told the throw from a cough or sneeze makes 12 foot a much better number. But that's not usually practical.). The wiping of surfaces is a hold over of good hygiene.

A family member of mine who is in this field confirmed this when I talked to her recently. She told me that when she was an undergrad she had a professor who had been one of the top people at the CDC. The professor told them that all the cleaning and hand washing wasn't going to help against viruses. But, it was 'good hygiene' (to protect against the other nasties) so they didn't want to say anything that would lessen peoples drive to keep things clean.
    That’s really interesting ducksfan, I guess it doesn’t hurt to keep things clean from an immune system perspective? Like catching some bacteria from say raw chicken when you’re cooking and that weakening the immune system making it more likely if you do get Covid-19 the symptoms may be more severe?

Also, tinfoil hat, so that people who have too much money already can start madly investing into stocks that are nosediving...

Or maybe they bought up a ton in the cleaning brands a month ago and have already made a lot of money in a short time..

I’ve no idea honestly, but practicing good hygiene and overall cleanliness is something I think lost on many avg people these days so doesn’t hurt to be reminded.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the biggest thing would be to not miss the elephant in the room. And, the elephant is other peoples exhaust air. Clean and wash all you want. But don't do it at the expense of avoiding others' air. It's easy to become complacent in stressful situations by doing 'something'. Don't avoid probability. Have that 'something' be what will most likely keep you well. Then do as much of the other stuff as you have the energy for and feel is necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Exhaust, as in other people’s breath or you saying “hot air?” Me, I’m gonna say both on this one.

11. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol, I was just thinking as I drove home that there's no way that doesn't end up as a fart joke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast