autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

One picture from 2020 Mobile Tech Expo

One picture from 2020 Mobile Tech Expo

This year I had 8 classes at Mobile Tech Expo. I had all new topics from years gone by. I was a tick concerned about people showing up for my first class, not due to the topic but because the first classes in the morning tend to struggle for attendance simply because not everyone is great at getting up early in the morning (for a class), especially if the night before they were celebrating with their peers in our industry.

I'm happy to say my first class, which was my class on how to do Gel-coat Correction and Gel-Coat Ceramic Coating Installation, was PACKED and STANDING ROOM ONLY. I'm sad to say, I personally didn't take a moment to snap a picture of the full auditorium from my perspective and have yet to find a picture showing just how full it was.

The only picture I have so far from the event is this one, I"m not sure which class it was but from the looks of all the tools on the tables, my guess is it was one of my classes on orbital polishers and even this class was packed.

Thank you to everyone that attended any of my classes this year or stopped by the Autogeek booth.

2. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: One picture from 2020 Mobile Tech Expo

Here's the list of classes I taught this year.

One thing I tried hard at was to make them as INTERACTIVE as possible - not just a power point slide with everyone staring at the wall. For the boat class I machine sanded the boat hull LIVE showing step-by-step how to

• Sand
    • Compound
    • Polish
    • Strip
    • Coat

And I think the people attending found it very interesting to see the process performed in real-time. We also had a number of people that took the boat class, (45 minutes), then sign up for the 2-day class where they were able to do the entire process themselves to real boats.

The tire coating class was also packed out. I think everyone like watching the Big Bubba get machine scrubbed and then have a Tire Coating applied.

2020 Mobile Tech Expo Class Schedule for Education Day on Thursday in Orlando, Florida

You can find the online schedule here. Look at the column under the title Detailing - second column from the left

MTE Education Day - Thursday

I have something special for each of these classes to make them as hands-on with IMPACT as possible. Also - Autogeek working on something to for everyone that attends a class.

2020 Schedule Mobile Tech Expo Classes for Education Day

Thursday, January 30th, 2020

8:00am to 8:50am

1: Boat Detailing – Wetsanding, Correction, Chemical Stripping & Installing a Ceramic Coating

Learn to do this,

In this class you will learn the fastest techniques for removing DEEP oxidation via machine wetsanding followed by how to remove 100% of your sanding marks and restore a swirl-free, show car finish to a boat gel-coats. Then you’ll learn the correct techniques to chemically strip the gel-coat and install a ceramic coating. Most important – you will learn how to remove most of the GRUNT work out of the process, which also means dramatically reducing time and sore muscles. This means less work, less time and more profit. PLUS – removing deep oxidation means better results that last longer. Sealing with a ceramic coating means the oxidation stays away longer and the results last longer, this means happy customers and increased word-of-mouth advertising.

9:00am to 9:50am

2: Short Stroke vs Long Stroke Orbital Polishers – Differences & Benefits

Some people say long stroke is the best. Some people say short stroke is the best. The reality is, there’s a time, place and best application for both long and short stroke polishers. In this class you learn the differences in both types and the benefits for both types plus finally figure out which type is best for you. If you’re just starting out – choosing the wrong tool wastes not only time, but money in the added costs of pads and products. Generally speaking, while there is something to be said that the more you spend the faster you can detail, there is also something to be said for a low cost tool that can get the job done and get the job done just as well and just as fast. Come to this class to find out.

10:00am to 10:50am

3: Free Spinning Orbital Polishers vs Gear-Driven Orbital Polishers – Differences & Benefits

In this class you will learn the MOST IMPORTANT DIFFERENCE between ANY free spinning polisher versus ANY gear-driven polisher. The difference equals time and time equals money. You will also learn which tool is better for finishing softer, finicky paints and which tool is best suited for doing the grunt work. PLUS, learn the 2 types of HUMAN ENERGY required to use a free spinning orbital polish while the gear driven only requires 1 type of HUMAN ENERGY. This difference is never considered or shared anywhere in the detailing world and it makes a HUGE difference on YOU as well as the overall time you invest into any paint correction work.

1:00pm to 1:50pm

4: Detailing Clay vs Detailing Clay Mitts, Towels & Pads – Differences & Benefits

Some people think clay mitts, towels and pads are the best way to remove above surface bonded contaminants like overspray paint and industrial fallout. Some people think they are the fastest way to mechanically decontaminate paint. But that’s not always true. Detailing clay was introduced to the U.S. market in the early 1990s and it’s still just as an effective and important tool in your detailing arsenal today as it was 30 years ago. In this class you will learn when detailing clay is the best choice and when clay substitutes are the best choice. You will also learn time and money saving techniques to use with each option. The final end-results always START with a great foundation to build upon. Learn why to never skip the mechanical decontamination step and the fundamental law of car detailing – gloss comes from a smooth surface.

2:00pm to 2:50pm

5: How to chemically strip paint and install a ceramic paint coating PLUS how to properly wash a ceramic coated vehicle.

There is a LOT of confusing on the correct way to chemically strip urethane clearcoats and even urethan single stage paints. There’s even more confusion on how to correctly install a ceramic paint coating. This class will not only clear-up all the confusion, but it will also take all the mystery out of the process. You will learn how simple the coating process should be so you can decrease wasted time, work faster and at the end of the day, make higher profits per hour. You will also learn the secret to avoiding mistakes to get it right the first time. PLUS – the MOST IMPORANT tool you need no matter what brand of coating you install.

This class will also show you the bubba-proof, common sense way to wash a ceramic coated car using a simple process that you can share with all your customers to protect and preserve your hard work while educating your customer so they don’t put swirls and scratches back into their freshly coated car. Keep your customers happy while protecting your reputation and professional business image.

How to correctly chemically strip paint and then install a ceramic paint coating

How to correctly wash a car with a ceramic paint coating

3:00pm to 3:50pm

6: One-Step AIOs vs Paint Correction & Ceramic Coatings – Differences & Benefits

Coatings, coatings coatings!!! Everyone is talking coatings. The rage is all coatings! BUT – if you own a detailing business or are starting a detailing business you MUST offer multiple detailing packages to match your different types of customers and their different types of cars. And ONE of those packages needs to include a great AIO package. In this class you will learn when to sell a coating package and when to sell an AIO package. You will also learn the most IMPORTANT question to ask and the FIRST question to ask any potential customer. Their answer will tell you which package is right for them. Matching the right package to each customer is key to decreasing wasted time and maximizing profits. And it’s as simple as asking the right first question.

1-Step Process versus 4-Step Process

(This doesn't include the normal prep wash steps of washing, drying, claying the car)

4:00pm to 4:50pm
    7: Tire Coatings vs Tire Dressings – Differences & Benefits

Tire Coatings are just as cool as paint coatings and paint coatings, they last longer too. With a tire coating, you no longer have the problems of tire dressing sling. The key is to know when to use a tire coating and when to stick with a tire dressing. In this class you will learn the difference between tire coatings and tire dressings. You will also see LIVE how to prep and install a tire coating. The prep process is key, and the results will blow you and your customers away! You will also learn how to determine which customers and tires are a good match for a tire coating. Most important, you will learn how to educate your customer as to what a tire coating is and then how to correctly maintain the tire coating for maximum longevity and that deep dark black look everyone loves. Besides all of this, you will also learn how to avoid making any mistakes that can be time-killers and how to ensure your success for happy customers. Use tire coatings as an add-on to any detailing package to increase the profitability of any detail job.

Tire Coatings

TIRES MUST BE PERFECTLY CLEAN

DRY TO THE TOUCH - NO SLING

Tire Dressings

MACHINE SCRUBBING for perfectly clean tires.

MACHINE APPLICATION of the tire dressing - works the dressing INTO the rubber.

PERFECT FINISH - NO SLING

Friday, January 31st, 2020

8:00am to 8:50am

8: How to become the recognized detailing expert in your hometown.

Make more money, get more referrals and fill your schedule with cool cars and new cars. In this class I will show you the simple technique I used to break into the cool car detailing world and get more customers via word-of-mouth advertising. Besides sharing the secret to my detailing success, just as important – I share with you the absolute wrong approach that most people try… and then fail at never knowing why. Knowing WHAT to do is just as important as knowing what NOT to do and you will learn this in this incredibly popular class.

All new topics. Lots of new tools, pads and products.

LIVE DEMONSTRATION in CLASS

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, your classes are always very informative! I think I only took one of them this year (the 8:00 one), but it was great talking with you and finally getting your book and having you sign it for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike, are you taking the classes to the MTE at Las Vegas this year?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post

Mike, your classes are always very informative!

I think I only took one of them this year (the 8:00 one), but it was great talking with you and finally getting your book and having you sign it for me.
    It's always great to see you Mike. I think when you stopped by the Autogeek booth after Education Day I was so busy doing demos and answering questions it was hard to talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

Hey Mike, are you taking the classes to the MTE at Las Vegas this year?
    I don't believe so.

At least no one from Autogeek has said anything to me and I have not heard anything from anyone at Mobile Tech Expo.

If it were up to me, I would love the opportunity to teach classes at the Vegas event. I'm sure there are lots of people that will be attending that have never been to the Orlando event.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

Hey Mike, are you taking the classes to the MTE at Las Vegas this year

Do you have any pictures from the boat class showing how packed it was?

There was a lady that came into the class and stood in the corner of the room where I was standing and took some pictures but I have know idea who she is.

I'd sure like to get her pictures though - every chair was taken and people were standing all around the back of the classroom.

I'm not sure how many people these classrooms were outfitted with chairs but my guess wold be around 100.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    There was a lady that came into the class and stood in the corner of the room where I was standing and took some pictures but I have know idea who she is.

I'd sure like to get her pictures though - every chair was taken and people were standing all around the back of the classroom.

I'm not sure how many people these classrooms were outfitted with chairs but my guess wold be around 100.

I believe she was with MTE. I saw her in a few classes - she would show up a few minutes into the class and take a few pics from the front.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post

I believe she was with MTE.

I saw her in a few classes - she would show up a few minutes into the class and take a few pics from the front.

I remember her, but Meghan checked with someone at MTE and they don't know who we're talking about.