autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Awlgrip Boat Paint - How do you remove oxidation when the manufacturer states not to use a compound or polish?

Awlgrip Boat Paint - How do you remove oxidation when the manufacturer states not to use a compound or polish?

Anyone that's been reading anything I've written for the last 18 years online in the forum world knows I MUCH prefer to answer questions on the FORUM than in an e-mail.

With the forum - tens, hundreds, thousands even hundreds of thousands of people can read and benefit from the info.

Look how many people have read my single article on restoring antique and single stage paint and most people don't own a car with single stage paint!

The statistics show over a half a MILLION people have clicked on a link somewhere all over Skynet to get to and then read this article.

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

So yeah - info on a forum is a LOT more powerful, useful and leverageabe than in an e-mail.

So I get this in an e-mail from a past student from a boat detailing class.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler

Mike,

My name is Tyler Wilson. My father and I came to your detailing class three years ago.

First off, I’d like to thank you for teaching us the tricks of boat detailing. It has allowed us to start our own company and completely corner the market in our area.

Secondly, id like to say that Andre is an awesome guy and has always helped and taken care of us through our journey.

Finally, I’ve got a question for you.

When detailing these big sport fishing yachts, we run into awlgrip a lot. Online it says that you shouldn’t use any kind of compound on it, but you can coat it in wax.

However, if the oxidation is already through the paint, what would be your move?

Should we go ahead and compound it then wax and seal it, or do they have to just go with new paint.

I appreciate any knowledge on the subject you can pass.

Thank you so much for all your help.
    Sincerely

Tyler Wilson
    TNT boat detailing

Great question Tyler and I'll answer you in a follow-up post.

Mike Phillips

Re: Awlgrip Boat Paint - How do you remove oxidation when the manufacturer states not to use a compound or polish?

First - I cover the topic of polishing Awlgrip in my boat book but on the AG store it reads this book has been discontinued?

Paperback book - How To Detail Boats With Marine 31 by Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Re: Awlgrip Boat Paint - How do you remove oxidation when the manufacturer states not to use a compound or polish?

Here's what I know....

FIRST - DON'T COMPOUND AWLGRIP

YOU'LL DESTROY IT.

Awlgrip is a marine specialty paint. When it is sprayed, it works kind of like the PPG Ceramiclear paint system, that is a portion of the paint mixture migrates to the outside to create a harder shell of resin. This harder shell of resin resists oxidation and degradation better than gel-coat and THIS is why it is used on LARGE EXPENSIVE boats or yachts.

It's really expensive to paint a large vessel with Awlgrip. It's just as expensive and possibly even MORE expensive to dry dock a large vessel like an Yacht and RE-PAINT it with Awlgrip.

So the Awlgrip company simply says - Don't compound or polish - Only use their boat wash and their Awlgrip sealant.

We both know that isn't going to work once time has gone by and the Awlgrip has succumb to oxidation.

So here's your options. Actually, these are the boat owners options, you just have to explain these options.

1: Do nothing.
    2: Have the boat repainted with new Awlgrip
    3: Have the boat owner sign a release of liability and then LIGHTLY POLISH the Awlgrip.

For option three, there are a number of ceramic coating PRIMERS and Ceramic Coating AIOs. Most of these offer very little cut or abrading ability. They might do the trick but you wouldn't know until you do a..... drum roll.....

TEST SPOT

I would say for you and your dad, you might be better off to take a pass on jobs like these just to avoid the hassle and the immense labor. That or carve out this type of work and dominate it. But you're going to have to do some research and testing.

Good question - no easy answer but I did my best. Try posting your question to any Facebook Group and see how in-depth of an answer you get that also looks out for your best interest?

4. Likes Dano shine, FrankS, mrtim liked this post