autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cutting Differences between Sonax SONAX EX 04-06 and Rupes Quarz Gloss for use 2017 Honda Civic

I am getting ready to polish my car before coating my car with GTechniq Crystal Serum Light and 2 coats EXO V4 on my 2017 Honda Civic which is a deep Agean Blue color.

I would like to do a 1 step if possible on my car but I am willing due a 2 step paint preparation. I have all the Rupes pads and polishes and a LHR 15 MK3 .

My car for the last 2.5 years has had Polish Angel Cosmic coating that I have topped with High Gloss but I am looking for little more durable coating.
    My car has some mild swirls under direct sunlight but not much since I blow dry my car and use a 2 bucket wash with grit guard wash system.

1. Which will give me a better finish for coating using the Sonax with Rupes yellow pad or going with the Quarz with green or yellow pad followed by Keramik polish with Rupes yellow pad ?

I want great surface for coating but want to preserve as much clear coat as possible since Honda's tend to have soft clear caot and less clear then other makes of cars.

2. Is there a a document that compares the amount of cut and finishing of different brands of polishes out there ?

3. I am willing to don Rupes Keramik polish followed by the white pad and Ultra Fine Gel if I will get an noticeable improvement?

4. Any tips for applying CSL and EXO to get the best outcome?

I bought your Rupes book and I love all the information that I am learning.

Thanks Mike for all your help and knowledge over the years .

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cutting Differences between Sonax SONAX EX 04-06 and Rupes Quarz Gloss for use 2017 Honda Civic

In terms of the best one-step approach, I personally would go with Sonax Perfect Finish with RUPES yellow pad.

Of course, a multi-step process will yield the best results.

Going from Keramik to Diamond is marginally noticeable in difference.

3. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cutting Differences between Sonax SONAX EX 04-06 and Rupes Quarz Gloss for use 2017 Honda Civic

Between these two polishes you mention, Sonax Ex 04-06 would be my choice. The test spot it is your friend.

There is this one but again this is based on someones input. Take it for what it is.

Updated 2/2017: Autopia Polish Comparison Chart!

Keramik would be similar to Sonax EX 04-06. It is a bit more oily. You won't notice much difference followed with their ultra fine gel.

There are many videos on the application of CSL and Exo. Follow the directions and you will be fine. You only need one coat of CSL with a recommended 2 coats of Exo. Be sure to have many towels as you will need a few more when wiping off Exo. Lighting is key as well to avoid high spots.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Health Guide View Post

I am getting ready to polish my car before coating my car with GTechniq Crystal Serum Light and 2 coats EXO V4 on my 2017 Honda Civic which is a deep Agean Blue color.

I would like to do a 1 step if possible on my car but I am willing due a 2 step paint preparation. I have all the Rupes pads and polishes and a LHR 15 MK3 .

My car for the last 2.5 years has had Polish Angel Cosmic coating that I have topped with High Gloss but I am looking for little more durable coating.
    My car has some mild swirls under direct sunlight but not much since I blow dry my car and use a 2 bucket wash with grit guard wash system.
    Good summary.

1. Which will give me a better finish for coating using the Sonax with Rupes yellow pad or going with the Quarz with green or yellow pad followed by Keramik polish with Rupes yellow pad ?
    I'd say they would both give you the same finish. I'd try the SONAX EX 04-06 with the RUPES yellow or white pad first. AND be sure to do a TEST SPOT before buffing out the entire car.

I want great surface for coating but want to preserve as much clear coat as possible since Honda's tend to have soft clear caot and less clear then other makes of cars.

Agree. You might be able to remove what's left of the coating and remove the swirls using a foam polishing pad like the RUPES white. It's soft, but not the softest pad on the market so it will provide some cut, especially when clean and dry. As you move around the car and ANY foam pad becomes wet with product - you loose cut or correction. So change pads often.

2. Is there a a document that compares the amount of cut and finishing of different brands of polishes out there ?
    Not that I'm aware of and even if there was such a document it would be out-dated and in my opinion useless. I know I never want to be tasked with writing such thing. It would be impossible to do it, do it right and have it endure over time.

3. I am willing to don Rupes Keramik polish followed by the white pad and Ultra Fine Gel if I will get an noticeable improvement?
    Yes, try the Diamond Ultra Fine with RUPES white pad first if you have it.

4. Any tips for applying CSL and EXO to get the best outcome?
    These are both very user-friendly products. Super easy. Just use normal protocols.

1. Chemically strip surface.
    2. Apply to small section at a time.
    3. Wait the specific time according to directions.
    4. Give section a soft wipe to spread any high spots for uniform coverage and remove any excess product.

I bought your Rupes book and I love all the information that I am learning.
    Thank you. I'm happy you like and I hope to write an updated version sometime in the future.

Thanks Mike for all your help and knowledge over the years .

Rick

Thank you Rick.

Apologies for chiming in so late. Always too busy with all the hats I wear. It's impossible to keep up.

Mike Phillips

Also just to add for anyone wanting more info on how to apply a coating....

I wrote this review back in 2018 and it's LOADED with tips and techniques for chemically stripping paint and then installing a ceramic paint coating.

Review: GYEON Q2 ONE Enthusiast Ceramic Coating by Mike Phillips

LOTS OF PICTURES TOO AS IS MY STYLE

Here's an excerpt for the above article.

High Spots
    When I first heard the term high spot I wondered what the heck they were talking about? As a word-guy, (I have 5 published books so I guess I'm a write and thus a word-guy), I would have used one of these words or terms.

1. Streak
    2. Smear
    3. Excess residue

But once the Genie is out of the bottle it's impossible to put him back in.

The term high spot simply means excess product. It will look like a streak or smear. No problem... simply wipe this high spot carefully to remove the excess product. With this enthusiast level product this is easy to do as the product is very forgiving. With some pro-grade products, the difficulty increases especially if not remove fast enough as the solids that are the coating will start to cure and solidify onto the paint. It's very important to remove the high spots, don't ask me how I know.

Through the magic of photography, using the overhead lights, here are some high spots or in common lingo, smears of coating...