autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Magnesium Chloride on New Black Audi

Magnesium chloride is a "salt" just like sodium chloride. Magnesium chloride is most often used when temps go below 15-20 deg F, as that is the point where sodium chloride begins to lose its effectiveness. Magnesium chloride should have no more effect on paint than sodium chloride does as both are considered "neutral salts". Sodium chloride dissolved in water produces a solution with a pH of 7 while magnesium chloride dissolved in water produces a solution with a pH of just under 7 (not completely neutral in the strictest sense, but so barely acidic that it is negligible). When it comes to effects on our vehicles, the biggest difference between sodium chloride and magnesium chloride is that magnesium chloride is more hygroscopic and thus draws moisture more readily, in turn more readily causing corrosion.

2. Thanks acuRAS82, RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Likes BillE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Practice on a less important car than your baby.

If you want to keep it real simple, even Bubba-Proof, get some BLACKFIRE One Step and some foam polishing pads. Super simple, works great.

If you want to go the coating route, the hardest part of beginners is not applying, or "installing" the coating, it's chemically stripping the paint. Also - you can't use a one-step cleaner/wax if you're going to use a coating, you'll have to use a dedicated polish.

Here's what I would recommend at this time; the Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating is super easy to use.

What do you have for polishes?

Thanks Mike,
    I have some Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover. How would you think that would compare to Blackfire One Step? After getting some feedback regarding the potential for swirls and scratches... even on a ceramic coating on black paint...I'm still considering using Wolfgang DGPS rather than ceramic. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lkaten View Post
    Thanks Mike,
    I have some Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover. How would you think that would compare to Blackfire One Step? After getting some feedback regarding the potential for swirls and scratches... even on a ceramic coating on black paint...I'm still considering using Wolfgang DGPS rather than ceramic. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks again
    I’d give a water spot remover like Car pros spotless a try. If so a light polish will probably work. Dont be scareed to ceramic coat if polishing.... not to much harder than applying wax. Just do on a sunny day to pull out and look for high spots.

Regular sealant won’t stop that from happening. Polishing the tough part but with right products and just keep pad moving youll be fine.

Give Car Pros Essence a whirl if your polishing. Coat it.... top the coat in the winter with the WG or a sio2 sealant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Thanks lkaten thanked for this post
    Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For whatever it’s worth, and I’m the guy who posted earlier that I never get salt stains, I noticed just tonight:

While doing a RW to my Acura which has a ceramic QD test going on the horizontal panels, salt wiped off easily over the areas with the QDs and the vertical panels with BF SiO2 Spray. That’s consistent with my experience since I can remember. However, on the tape lines between the ceramic QD areas, where there is just bare paint, the salt and dirt was sticking. It didn’t wipe off easily at all and required careful agitation and finger nail scraping to get off. This was in 15-20 different spots on tape lines.

It’s interesting to note because this never happens from my memory, but my cars always have new and/or layered protection. Last night I purposely drove around in snow squalls to put stress on the QDs. The roads were loaded with salt and all horizontal panels had salt everywhere.

While I’m not sure what type of salt is used here in SW PA (temperature was around 25 when I was driving around), it has a green/blue tint where rock pieces were caked onto bottom panels. Whatever is used, my protected surfaces reject it pretty well with RW wipes. The bare paint requires uncomfortable agitation. It got me thinking about recent threads where users discuss if LSPs really do anything to protect. I laughed while reading those, and I can say for sure that LSPs certainly make a huge difference in cleaning winter’s road salt off.

7. Likes RamAirV1, lkaten, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    For whatever it’s worth, and I’m the guy who posted earlier that I never get salt stains, I noticed just tonight:

While doing a RW to my Acura which has a ceramic QD test going on the horizontal panels, salt wiped off easily over the areas with the QDs and the vertical panels with BF SiO2 Spray. That’s consistent with my experience since I can remember. However, on the tape lines between the ceramic QD areas, where there is just bare paint, the salt and dirt was sticking. It didn’t wipe off easily at all and required careful agitation and finger nail scraping to get off. This was in 15-20 different spots on tape lines.

It’s interesting to note because this never happens from my memory, but my cars always have new and/or layered protection. Last night I purposely drove around in snow squalls to put stress on the QDs. The roads were loaded with salt and all horizontal panels had salt everywhere.

While I’m not sure what type of salt is used here in SW PA (temperature was around 25 when I was driving around), it has a green/blue tint where rock pieces were caked onto bottom panels. Whatever is used, my protected surfaces reject it pretty well with RW wipes. The bare paint requires uncomfortable agitation. It got me thinking about recent threads where users discuss if LSPs really do anything to protect. I laughed while reading those, and I can say for sure that LSPs certainly make a huge difference in cleaning winter’s road salt off.
    So you polished down yo bare paint beforecapplying QD’s? Didnt know that was going to be that thorough of a test. Any work better than others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avant View Post
    I've had similar spotting/etching on my black Audi after driving on a mag-chloride treated highway. The good news is that they can be removed by machine polish much like hard water spots, at least that has been my experience. Not sure about the aluminum trim pieces.

Porter cable should be able to handle it, you may need an aggressive pad/polish combo - what do you have now?
    Thanks Avant,
    I have white and orange foam pads and Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    So you polished down yo bare paint beforecapplying QD’s? Didnt know that was going to be that thorough of a test. Any work better than others?
    Yeah my current test had the paint flayed and polished, then paint prepped. It’s QDs on bare paint and on Essence (sectioned off). I have a list of sheeting performance as of a few days ago. New update coming Monday night.

11. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am guessing since you just picked up your new Audi, you have not had a chance to apply a sealant, wax or coating to it. This may have made it more difficult to remove the magnesium chloride, requiring an extra polishing step to remove it. We use magnesium chloride on many of the roads here (Indiana) and so far I have not had any staining on my paint. Maybe the LSPs I use on my car are preventing it from staining who knows.

Hopefully you will be able to remove the stains with a single polishing stage! Unless you have a heated garage, it is going to be tough to polish and apply an LSP this time of year.

If I ever move, it's going to be to a location where they don't have winter!

RamAirV1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirV1 View Post
    I am guessing since you just picked up your new Audi, you have not had a chance to apply a sealant, wax or coating to it. This may have made it more difficult to remove the magnesium chloride, requiring an extra polishing step to remove it. We use magnesium chloride on many of the roads here (Indiana) and so far I have not had any staining on my paint. Maybe the LSPs I use on my car are preventing it from staining who knows.

Hopefully you will be able to remove the stains with a single polishing stage! Unless you have a heated garage, it is going to be tough to polish and apply an LSP this time of year.

If I ever move, it's going to be to a location where they don't have winter!

RamAirV1
    Yep...just picked up my new Audi. One week ago... I was kind of bummed to get it coated with MgCl2 before I could put any protectant on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody for all the advice. I've tried 3D Eraser Water Spot Remover and that didn't take the stains out. Looks I'll be polishing it out as soon as I have a chance. Then I'll coat it. I appreciate all the comments.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12