autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Help! I think I have installed swirls in my windscreen by accident!

Hi guys, hope this is in the correct place.

I think I have installed swirls in my windscreen by polishing it.

***edit*** this is a video of the swirls: ***edit***

YouTube

Last weekend I wanted to install the Gtechniq G1 glass coating. This was my first time with this coating, and the first time polishing windscreen, although I have polished paint before at an enthusiast level.

I 2 bucket method washed the windscreen, used surfex HD APC 10%, then used carpro TRIX, claybar'ed it with BH auto clay and Dodo juice Born slippy, then cleaned the glass with AG fast glass. I rinsed in-between steps also.

I then polished it to just clean it, I was not looking for defect removal, as there weren't many to my knowledge - also was aware of how hard it is to polish glass well. I polished with a das6 V2 DA, orange CG hex logic pad, and Gtechniq G4 (as recommended), doing a quarter of windscreen at a time, with 4-5 slow passes with minimal pressure (less than I would for paint).

I then wiped this down with IPA 1:1 with water. I then installed sealant as per instructions with no problems.

It was only at night I noticed problems. When streetlights shine through the glass it reveals (literally thousands of) little swirl marks. I call these swirl marks because they look exactly like paint swirls. I am really struggling to get a camera that shows them well enough for you guys to see. They are multi-directional and form a circle around the light like swirls do. I cannot feel the swirls with my nail, but there are others that I can - but these are big wiper-installed scratches that were already present before polishing.

I am now wondering whether I have caused this by polishing (incorrectly). My theories are:

- that possibly the pad was not fully clean after being used on paint a while ago (although I did wash and brush out)
    - maybe I have not used enough polish and dry buffed
    - another theory is that maybe I have gone over one of the few rock chips on the screen and it has picked up a piece of glass from there and dragged it all over the screen

The one thing to note is that there are NO SWIRLS where the wipers do not cover on the screen when wiping. However, I cannot work out how wipers can cause multi-directional scratches, and for me to only just notice them now. I have had this car for 2 years and done a lot of nighttime driving. Unless this 'cleaning' has just highlighted them to me. I am confused and a bit upset if I have damaged my glass.

The two questions I have are:

1. Do you think I have caused this and if so how?
    2. Can/should I attempt to fix this? (I was looking at Ceriglass and Rayon pad and following instructions as per this site?)

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this, any feedback is much appreciated.

ps - the G1 coating is AWESOME on the motorway

Mike Phillips

Re: Help! I think I have installed swirls in my windscreen by accident!

Quote Originally Posted by framoman View Post

The two questions I have are:

1. Do you think I have caused this and if so how?
    If the micro-marring wasn't in the glass before you polished the glass and now you can see it - then "yes" somehow you inflicted the marring from the product, the pad or the process.

2. Can/should I attempt to fix this? (I was looking at Ceriglass and Rayon pad and following instructions as per this site?)
    I've polished out a LOT of glass in my life and I've always had good results using CarPro Ceriglass and THEIR glass polishing pad. I have at least a half dozen articles on polishing glass, do some searching using Google and these search terms,

Glass polishing scratches pits Mike Phillips

That should pull some info up, then read it. Glass polishing is hard because glass is hard. Because glass is hard it also takes a long time. So get your pads and products in order and then be prepared to spend an hour or two removing the micro-marring.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this, any feedback is much appreciated.

ps - the G1 coating is AWESOME on the motorway

Sorry for the late reply, I can no longer keep up with all my job duties here at Autogeek.

Mike Phillips

Here's one of my how-to articles,

Glass polishing - How to remove scratches in glass

Note the portion under the word IMPORTANT in RED TEXT

IMPORTANT
    Never start by working on the glass in front of the driver field of view. Just in case something goes wrong you don't want to impair the view of the driver.

Only someone that has polished a lot of glass or has made this specific mistake would know to WRITE this in a how-to article for others to read.

Mike Phillips

Also

Apologies for just now finding this, when you posted it, on 02-24-2020, 06:07 PM - I had already left for the day.

On the Friday before your post I started a 3-day class where my class detailed 14 cars in 3-days. Then the next day, I'm an IDA Certified Trainer, so I proctored Skills Validation tests al day and then left and went home and crashed and burned.

My classes are hard on the students and they also require a LOT of energy from me.

Pictures: Paint Correction - Ceramic Coatings Class - Autogeek - February 2020 - 100% Hands On Training