autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buffing too much ?

Quote Originally Posted by Inverted View Post
    Thanks. Looking for some guidance on measuring the paint thickness. What is the best tool for this for the money ?
    Buy this 1. It can be found on Ebay for less than $15 bucks. I guarantee you it works. It comes with plates/sheets to calibrate it that undoubtedly prove it’s accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that’s a leap in technology from the one I have that cost like$200. If mine goes, I’m getting one of these!
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Buy this 1. It can be found on Ebay for less than $15 bucks. I guarantee you it works. It comes with plates/sheets to calibrate it that undoubtedly prove it’s accurate.

At what gauge reading do you need to start worrying about polishing off the clear coat?

Or better yet, how many mills can you loose with an aggressive compound/pad and a DA polisher?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avant View Post
    At what gauge reading do you need to start worrying about polishing off the clear coat?

Or better yet, how many mills can you loose with an aggressive compound/pad and a DA polisher?
    Excellent question, was wondering the same thing....

Post Thanks / Like

PTG's are a gimmick in my opinion. Unless you spend thousands on a unit that will measure clear-coat thickness you are still guessing.

They way I see it... Who cares how thick the overall coating is? Primer, basecoat and clear-coat. Unless you separate and measure each layer independently, what's the point?

Post Thanks / Like

And I forgot to add: Truck looks great!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

7. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avant View Post

I say this somewhat jokingly, but not really... I start worrying when I can’t get a reading. Or bearly any reading at all.
    That’s when the red flags come upBuffing too much ?
    It’s usually times like those when you really begin inspecting the paint with a closer eye to figure out what could be the cause... Usually it’s due to a re spray or different material body panels, etc.

The only true and complete way to measure paint is having kept measurements from day 1. [that’s pretty rare] Knowing what the measurements were from the start to the current day is the only true way to get a close idea of what you’re really dealing with. Otherwise you’re hoping based on an overall measurement that at least some of it is clearcoat.

But getting a somewhat substantial measurement helps assure you in comparison to not being able to get a reading at all [or very little reading].

9. Thanks Avant thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To the OP: Saw your post on the Tacoma forum. I too have a Tacoma (a 2018). My wife has had five of them. I don't know how many times I have used a DA polisher on these trucks. Mostly just with a polishing compound. So far you apparently have done no damage. Not an ad for Meguiar's, but I have used their products almost exclusively for over 40 years...both the professional line and consumer line. I trust these products to do a good job. Stick with Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and you will be staying in "safe territory". I usually use one of the newer thin polishing pads on my DA polisher. For the "tuff" scratches, I use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. One thing that has not been mentioned...be darn careful when polishing close to edges. The paint is much thinner in these areas. Some detailers even mask them off. Is is possible to burn through clear cost with a DA polisher? Yep, been there done that on an edge. Just enjoy your truck. Avoid automatic car washes and bush busting off roading if you want to keep that pretty blue truck lookin' good.
    Two white Tacomas and two black Harleys...No sense complicating my life with color.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Inverted View Post
    Thanks. Looking for some guidance on measuring the paint thickness. What is the best tool for this for the money ?
    The PTG is an instrument that reads the total thickness from the metal to the top of the paint layers. Do a search on Mike Phillips articles on paint thickness. The gauge will NOT tell you the amount of clear coat left. As Mike tells it, a single sheet of a sticky note is thicker than your clear coat over your color paint layer. So using the PTG you will see a pattern that will vary where you read on the car surfaces.

I agree that most likely you are still safe but using a compound like 105 is aggressive and that you are still likely safe but can do this only a few times and you will see the clear coat starting to degrade if left in sun a long time. KEEP your truck protected at all times is my advice, my son's old Tundra cost me $2500 to remove the paint on the hood and cab because it went too long without care.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Didn’t realize 105 was so aggressive. I’ve gone over the truck with a fine tooth comb and haven’t found really any evidence of damage.

I did find a few “imperfections” in the paint however. However, I’m not sure these are from a buffer. They appear to be imperfections in the finishing process. It looks and feels like a pimple and can be felt with a fingertip. I saw the same imperfection on the hood of a new Tundra on display at the dealer. Has anyone seen these ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buffing too much ?-45246d6e-07c1-49a2-a80b-384cc32e29ff-jpg  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast