autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

PBL Paint Coating

I installed my first paint coating today (PBL Paint Coating). It went on pretty easy. Still need to put on the glass and rim coating. I plan on using Gyeon Trim for the external trim pieces.

My questions:
    1. Is it ok to use ONR for rinse-less washes? I see a lot of coating wash products out there and was hoping to keep my normal routine.
    2. Is it ok or beneficial to use Bead Maker as a topper after washing?
    3. Or is there really benefits to using coating toppers, or even using PBL surface coating?

Thank you for any and all advice. It is much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PBL Paint Coating

1- yes, you can use ONR
    2- no, at least not in my opinion. Bead maker is poop
    3- maybe. Some like to top their coatings. I prefer to not do it
    Bruno Soares

3. Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by engineerwolf View Post
    I installed my first paint coating today (PBL Paint Coating). It went on pretty easy. Still need to put on the glass and rim coating. I plan on using Gyeon Trim for the external trim pieces.

My questions:
    1. Is it ok to use ONR for rinse-less washes? I see a lot of coating wash products out there and was hoping to keep my normal routine.
    2. Is it ok or beneficial to use Bead Maker as a topper after washing?
    3. Or is there really benefits to using coating toppers, or even using PBL surface coating?

Thank you for any and all advice. It is much appreciated.

1. Agree with BSoares, I use ONR wash some of the washes and it is fine. But...
    I have started using the Wolfgang SiO2 Wash about every third wash. Often do the car with ONR in the car in these cooler temps.

2. Sure, Beadmaker is fine but not really necessary except as a drying aid if you have it. The coating will be nice and slick most of the time. I still use BM on other car and friends without a coating.

3. Yep, the PBL Surface Coating was my second layer over the Paint Coating. So I just used it on the top surfaces and the wife can really tell how slick it keeps the car. I was going to use Pinnacle Crystal Spray but decided the Surface coating was easy and really does not take much product nor time.

I finally listened to Mike Phillips and followed his lead on using those two products. I have been skeptical on coatings but I am coming around on my wife's daily driver. Next will be my truck. I also did DLUX on the wheels and use a spray SiO2 product to keep that lasting quite a long time now. Just use normal car wash soap and no hard cleaners are needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Onr should be fine but does have polymers that some think may affect performance of coating. If you have ONR use it. Once gone maybe look at Griots brilliant rinseless. Has no polymers and cleans well.

Car pros Ech20 will be good to but more expensive.

Mckees N-914,is another good product and may be able to get a good deal on it as AG is clearing out Mckees stuff.

Ive read beadmaker to be a solid topper on coatings but bot much durability. Ive never used prefer sio2 topper. Griots new Ceramic 3-1 is lovely claims if real life 6 months durability. If looking to top more often give CP elixer a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My take, in addition to others’:
    1) You can use ONR... not optimal to keep coating characteristics but it’s not going to cause noticeable differences mist likely if you don’t want to purchase N-914 or Ech2O.
    2) You can use BM but again not optimal to maintain coating properties (particularly water behavior). But some others like the slickness and gloss to overcome the beading downgrade. PBL is slick and glossy on its own IMO and I personally wouldn’t top with BM.
    3) In 1 & 2 above I mention “not optimal”. If you’re a person who likes touching your car and wants to remain with characteristics more comparable to the coating, use coating toppers (including SiO2 toppers and SiO2 QDs) and WWs. If you basically want to completely refresh very similar characteristics, use the Surface Coating as a topper... but not really needed to use too often (like after every wash would be overkill).

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the responses. If anything I may consider using the Surface Coating as I see Mike highly recommends that too. Just wasn’t sure on the coating booster, if that was similar or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by engineerwolf View Post
    Thank you all for the responses. If anything I may consider using the Surface Coating as I see Mike highly recommends that too. Just wasn’t sure on the coating booster, if that was similar or not.
    Good choice. I didn’t realize you were specifically talking about PBL Booster (I’m assuming you are now). I would only include that in your routine if you really feel the need to touch the paint often (I’m one of those guys). If you don’t need to apply something monthly for entertainment reasons, you’d be fine to stick with just Surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the responses. Quick follow up question. If I put the Surface Coating on top of the Paint Coating (but it has been a month and a few washes), how should I prep the vehicle? The paint is still in great shape, so should not need to polish. Just wondering if I need to use the Surface Cleansing Polish again? or will that affect the PBL Paint Coating?

As a side note, and the reason I'm asking all of this, I see good water beading and sheeting, but the paint is not slick at all. I'm wondering if the Surface Coating would provide a much more slick surface and give even better sheeting. This is why I was also asking about Bead Maker.

Post Thanks / Like

No reason to top a similar product with another. They are essentially the same thing. Coatings in general are not slick. Hence why everyone likes to top it with something to get that sensation that gives an individual that warm and fuzzy feeling. You can use beadmaker if you so desire.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick reply Mike... this is what I thought all along. it might not be needed, but I might try to see if I like it. BTW, I also viewed your youtube video and that helped me decide to try the PBL Paint Coating (along with Mike Phillips reviews).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast