autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex Cordless Polisher

Get a rotary to complement your DA,the best of both worlds.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ptwhital View Post

Has anyone tried the Flex cordless. I bought one and from what I can see it's a waste of money. It's ok for waxes and sealants but it will not correct. I have the 3401 and a rotary both are Flex and they are awesome machines but the cordless is a letdown.

I merged your two threads together. You only need to start ONE thread per topic.

3. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I just got done teaching a class and I demonstrated the FINISHER. I had no problem maintaining pad rotation and neither did Sylvia, and it was the first time he ever used a machine to machine polish.

The foam polishing pad is rotating. Note where she's holding the back of he this cordless tool. There is something to be said for technique. The polisher is also on the 6 speed setting.

BUT - I have experience and used the right pad. The pad you see her using is a 6.5" Lake Country Force Hybrid Foam Polishing pad and it works about or better than any pad for this type of tool.

This is a 15mm free spinning random orbital polisher and there are a slew of these on the market. And for what it's worth, I don't use ANY brand of 15mm free spinning random orbital for correction work - I use gear-driven, short stroke or rotary.

I share the reason why, without saying it directly in my article on the topic of the

Ghosting Image

Google that using the above words and add my name,

Mike Phillips

Indeed Mike.

Sylvia done an awesome job with the FINISHER in hand but not only - I had Sylvia using the PIXIE in 12mm throw configuration & Blackfire ONE STEP on the front of this slick Cadillac with no trouble at all.

Sylvia rocked!

Aaryn NZ.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

5. Likes Diner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post
    I should of read the thread cause it is so tempting to get one. The only good thing about a long throw that is unique to it is you can zone right out and put your self on auto pilot. Can that be done on 3401 or is it pulling you around
    Little tougher to zone-out w the 3401, louder, not as smooth (especially with a 6.5" pad) and it will pull ya around a bit if you get outta sorts.

To me, using the Flex is like kicking the door down to get in a room, long-throw is like picking the lock. Either way you're in the room, just different approaches...

7. Likes oneheadlite, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Just to revisit this thread...

Last year when Autogeek held their Detail Fest show at the Barrett-Jackson Auction at the Palm Beach Fairground, I demonstrated on the hood of a rental car sharing tools, products and techniques.

At one point we shot this video. In the video, I machine sanded a section of paint on the hood of a rental car and then removed the sanding marks using the Cordless, FLEX XFE7-15. I used a Lake Country 6.5" Force Hybrid Orange Foam Cutting pads and BLACKFIRE One Step, which is a one-step cleaner/wax or technically a cleaner/sealant - most of you would call it an AIO.

Point being, (and I say this in the video), you don't normally remove sanding marks with free spinning random orbital polishers using a cleaner/wax. It's just not done. It's not normal. What's normal is to remove them using a wool pad on a rotary buffer. But you'll see me do it here LIVE in front of any and all passerby's at the show. I also did this over and over again.

Note: After I pull the power trigger, I lock the power trigger into the "ON" position and then move my hand to the back and support the tool holding the back of the battery. I do this as it's more comfortable and it's easier to keep the fact of the pad flat to the surface so the pad will rotate.

>CLICK< on the image to watch the video.

I don't have a YouTube channel so all my videos are on my FB page

Normally is use this tool and all 15mm free spinning random orbital polishers for finishing work and use the BEAST or a rotary for correction work - but as you can see in the video, I was not only able to maintain pad rotating with a large foam cutting pad but I also removed the sanding marks.

9. Likes Aaryn NZ, Thomkirby, Rambro liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123