autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coatings application vs ambient temperature....

Quote Originally Posted by scv2005 View Post
    Case closed, really going to wait till spring, not driving the car much next 7-8 weeks anyway....
    Good call, no need to stress about it.

2. Thanks scv2005 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sealant good idea to get you through winter. I would recommend maybe a sio2 topper/sealant you can use to top your coated vehichle. PA Cosmic and Kamikaze Overcoat are to of my favorites, Pricy though.

If bot wanting to spend A lot I just used Griots new Ceramic 3-1 and if it last a strong 3 months may be a game changer. Easy on easy off. Great beading. I left a high spot and it hardened up like a true coating. Cleaned up easily with more product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks scv2005 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing new to add, but just another data point. I too tried an application of CQuartz UK in weather which was 60's-ish in my garage and pretty humid. Flashing was taking upwards of 10 minutes or longer. Normally I can coat a car pretty quickly, but in this case it took much longer due to the wait for everything to flash. I think the 70's is the sweet spot for applying a coating.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

The best for colder temps - would be CQUK - but even then I also found 50 deg is about the lower limit....

I did have good luck with Gyeon CanCoat in high 40 deg temps though - so you could try that - it's a coating lite - but certainly an option for now.

I also just finally tried Kenotek ShowRoom Shine after my latest Waterless Wash (WG Uber Rinseless) - and that really seems to work out well in 40 Deg temps for some added protection (And mates well with WG Uber). Or another similar option might be CarPro Elixor

Ultimately I believe the option to wait until spring for a full coating is the best plan - but there certainly are options to add protection in the short term.

7. Thanks scv2005 thanked for this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

interesting post. any updates on how the coating held up so far guys? for the folks that had long flash times?

Post Thanks / Like

I've not experienced any issues with durability or performance of the coating after application. As long as it dries and flashes correctly everything is fine, it just takes FAR longer in cooler weather.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I've not experienced any issues with durability or performance of the coating after application. As long as it dries and flashes correctly everything is fine, it just takes FAR longer in cooler weather.
    thanks, I guess you can easily do a average size hood before breaking out the towels?

Post Thanks / Like

I used UK3.0 and Gliss V2 last week and temperature was cool, not cold. I actually appreciated the fact I could do a whole panel at a time and not rush to wipe it off, it wasn't flashing super fast. Last year when I did my wife's car I did it in June and it was hot and humid and I was having to rush quite a bit more then. Gliss flashed a little faster than UK but still allowed me enough time to do larger areas. CQuartz UK was designed for colder climates but when version 3.0 came out they tweaked it a bit to make it work better in warmer climates (which wasn't easy to do with original UK) and now the new version takes a while to flash if it's cold. To me it's not a bad thing, you can spread coating over a bigger area before you need to go back to wipe. You just have to keep things under control so you don't end up forgetting to wipe off an area.
    Bruno Soares

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah I love the idea actually of being able to take my time. was kind of kicking myself for not going with kamikaze just for that reason. Then i ended up ordering cquartz for the very reason I don't have to worry about warmer Temps lol looks like I choose the right product for my situation

Post Thanks / Like

Still solid coating here. Washes and cleans up like it did day 1.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast