autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coatings application vs ambient temperature....

Does it have to be above a certain temperature to apply a ceramic coating properly? Do any work better around 40-50F? I am in the northeast, recently had the clear bra on my 2006 Porsche 911 redone and would like to coat the car... Previously I used Xpel's fusion on another car but it was the middle of the summer here in the Northeast... My garage is not heated but if I time it right and use a few space heaters I can likely get it up to a maintain 50 degrees for say 48 hours or so...Better off waiting till spring?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coatings application vs ambient temperature....

Cquartz Lite has a recommendation of 40-100 F

Cquartz TiO2 50-100 F

Cquartz UK 3.0 40-100 F

Cquartz Skin 40-100 F. This is a dedicated PPF coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently did CQ UK3 and Gliss. I’m also in the north east. I had to wait days to crack 50 degrees. When I did it it was taking really long to flash. I say it’s better to do it in warmer weather.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ntwillie1 View Post
    I recently did CQ UK3 and Gliss. I’m also in the north east. I had to wait days to crack 50 degrees. When I did it it was taking really long to flash. I say it’s better to do it in warmer weather.
    Thanks and Thanks... Kind of what I was afraid of, that even though it can be applied down to 40 it's going to be a pain to work with...I might look into renting some sort of industrial heater. I have two large windows and a door at the back of the garage for plenty of ventilation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scv2005 View Post
    Thanks and Thanks... Kind of what I was afraid of, that even though it can be applied down to 40 it's going to be a pain to work with...I might look into renting some sort of industrial heater. I have two large windows and a door at the back of the garage for plenty of ventilation.
    Any kind of heater that takes propane will generate a ton of moisture in the air(and on everything), you don't want that.

If you can use 1500 watt space heaters you can do it. They will just have to run a bit. Do not plug more than one on any given circuit. A 12 gauge extension cord can get you to another circuit in a different area of the house.
    If the kitchen or bath are close by those will be 20 amp circuits(or should be)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    Any kind of heater that takes propane will generate a ton of moisture in the air(and on everything), you don't want that.

If you can use 1500 watt space heaters you can do it. They will just have to run a bit. Do not plug more than one on any given circuit. A 12 gauge extension cord can get you to another circuit in a different area of the house.
    If the kitchen or bath are close by those will be 20 amp circuits(or should be)
    Thanks Spazzz! Never thought of the moisture issue... Have a ton of dedicated outlets in the garage... My 1,500 watt space heater does very little currently...Garage is about 600 square feet, epoxy floor... Funny side note we cut into the ceiling a few months back as I am planning to utilize the rafter for storage...no insulation at all! Ideally I would love to dormer out the rafter and really utilize the space above the garage but living just outside NYC I am sure the cost and permitting process will prohibit that lol....

Post Thanks / Like

Humidity can be a larger problem than temperature. The higher the humidity, the longer the drying time. 50 degrees is about as low as I would want to go when applying a coating. Wait until Spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ntwillie1 View Post
    Did a car last week in 45f-50f ambient temp, and the CQUK3.0 took forever to flash. I kept thinking I need to remove it, but literally after 15 min it was still smearing. Ended up being around 20 min. After I figured it out on the first panel, it did allow me to apply it to most of the car at once and not feel rushed.

9. Likes spazzz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarkmac View Post
    Did a car last week in 45f-50f ambient temp, and the CQUK3.0 took forever to flash. I kept thinking I need to remove it, but literally after 15 min it was still smearing. Ended up being around 20 min. After I figured it out on the first panel, it did allow me to apply it to most of the car at once and not feel rushed.
    Case closed, really going to wait till spring, not driving the car much next 7-8 weeks anyway....

11. Likes spazzz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarkmac View Post
    Glad to hear I am not the only one that had that experience. I don’t think I waited 20 min per panel as I was worried I would end up having to re-polish my whole car again to remove if I left it on too long. I think I waited about 10 min per panel. When it warms up again I will do a thorough inspection and see if I need to redo. For now I have washed the car twice or so and the protection seems to be there but it had also only been about 5 weeks or so since I applied. My wife will be getting a new car when her lease is up in 4 months so I will coat her car w the same products and hopefully get better flashing times.

OP, for now maybe just apply a sealant for your winter protection. Something like 845 or Optimum spray on sealant (optiseal) should do the trick. Wipe on, wipe off, walk away.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast