autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: Joining the IDA

Post Thanks / Like

Joining the IDA

Hi Mike!

I took your Boot Camp class last year. I was looking to join the IDA. Even though I really only do detailing on the side I think it can be very beneficial. If I understand everything correctly I join the IDA on the website under "Operator" for $110 dollars. Then I pay for the 10 written exams to take. Afterwards once I pass the written exams I can call up AutoGeek to schedule say for your IDA testing on Monday Feb 24th? Did I understand everything correctly?

Thank you!
    Andre

2. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Joining the IDA

I am interested in hearing more about this. Especially as a professional, I have been thinking more seriously about the IDA. There are many guys around me where this is not on their radar.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorGT View Post

Hi Mike!

I took your Boot Camp class last year. I was looking to join the IDA. Even though I really only do detailing on the side I think it can be very beneficial.

If I understand everything correctly,

1. I join the IDA on the website under "Operator" for $110 dollars.
    2. Then I pay for the 10 written exams to take.
    3. Afterwards once I pass the written exams I can call up AutoGeek to schedule say for your IDA testing on Monday Feb 24th?

Did I understand everything correctly?

Thank you!
    Andre

Yeperdoo.

For what it's worth - I stopped doing the Skills Validation Testing for people that have not taken any of my classes, or any classes from someone I know as a legitimate detailing instructor in our industry.

Too many guys that the only training they have is watching YouTube videos. They "think" they know what they are doing. Most of them say the same thing to me,

I need to learn how to get a car detailed faster

Happy to say, there's simply no substitute for a real hands-on class instructed by someone that really knows what the heck they're doing.

After someone takes any of my classes - there's no GUESSING about what to do and the order to do and how to get it done fast while keeping your quality high.

5. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes jmorlan, PEAD19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

I passed all 10 test this weekend! 8 of the 10 on the first shot! The other two I was not a huge fan of how the questions where worded, however, a lot of that could be me as unfortunately English comprehension has always been a weak spot for me.

Mikes Boot Camp classes goes over ALL the answers you need!!!

I hope to call up Auto Geek soon and try to get in on the IDA SV test at the end of the month!

8. Likes mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post
    I am interested in hearing more about this. Especially as a professional, I have been thinking more seriously about the IDA. There are many guys around me where this is not on their radar.
    Id be more interested in what is on the CUSTOMERS radar. I wont go through the whole story again but back in the day I went to one of the countries best car audio schools and graduated second in my class along with an MECP certificate.
    #1 problem with that, none of the local shops gave a crap if you had that certification and after all it is just tests like the IDA and really means very little to the fact if you actually use those skills you learned or not. (I knew tons of certified installers who did HACK jobs on peoples cars) so what does that cert really mean?
    #2 Customers have no idea what MECP was either and therefore it meant nothing to them. Which also goes back to #1 if you do a great job customers cars will sell your work and so will they by telling people about you. With or without the IDA cert.

To me its a waste of money that I am not going to fall for again, BUT for others it may be worth your time and $ to do it. Hope this doesnt sound so negative but gives you some other things to think about and consider in your journey.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

10. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, the high cost of cars gives us a better shot at a successful career in this business.
    As this industry progresses, more people will be interested in a professional certified detailer than someone who is not.
    It's up to the detailer to use this certification to their advantage.

Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Id be more interested in what is on the CUSTOMERS radar. I wont go through the whole story again but back in the day I went to one of the countries best car audio schools and graduated second in my class along with an MECP certificate.
    #1 problem with that, none of the local shops gave a crap if you had that certification and after all it is just tests like the IDA and really means very little to the fact if you actually use those skills you learned or not. (I knew tons of certified installers who did HACK jobs on peoples cars) so what does that cert really mean?
    #2 Customers have no idea what MECP was either and therefore it meant nothing to them. Which also goes back to #1 if you do a great job customers cars will sell your work and so will they by telling people about you. With or without the IDA cert.

To me its a waste of money that I am not going to fall for again, BUT for others it may be worth your time and $ to do it. Hope this doesnt sound so negative but gives you some other things to think about and consider in your journey.
    IDA's good for networking with other professional detailers, customers wouldn't know IDA from MECP. MOST "customers" I deal with consider a wash+wax+vacuum a full detail lol. It could possibly land you some customers thru other IDA detailers who might know people in your area. But if I had to guess, not a single potential client will go online looking for an IDA certified detailer or even know what it means. With that said, for how relatively cheap it is the networking you'd get from it could be very beneficial. And back to the what people out here consider a full detail, if I was IDA and told them what it was they'd probably go "wow you're certified to wash cars, congratulations" lol

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Joining the IDA

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post

I'm with you man. Your reputation to the customer is very valuable. They likely don't even know about the cert.

Here's my opinion.

Wouldn't it improve your confidence and thus the level of quality of your detailing if you had the IDA certification? Some executives say they want as many letters behind their name as possible. I want as many behind mine as well.

Whatever I have to do to set myself apart from the pack so I can better care for my family and the people I love.

Also under this authority couldn't you train detailers in your shop and elevate the industry in this way? Also you'd be better preparing them to take care of their families as well. Heck you could even become an IDA trainer and train your guys as part of their internship at your shop at no charge to them. This could save you a boat load of money because you wouldn't have to send them away to get SV certified and you could have the prestige of saying that. "All of my guys are IDA Skills Validated certified detailers trained under me at my shop" Hows that for a rep!

If I was half as lucky as some of you guys I'd do it! Seriously.