autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which buffing pads for the FLEX XCE 10-8 Supa Beast?

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Good posts here.

Thanks Mike and Autogeek for the tips and the generosity.

Gloss Garage, thanks for the pics and sharing your experiences.

Myself, on the "old" 3401, I have used 4" Hydro Tech pads on the smaller backing plate, 5.5" pads, and the larger pads on the larger backing plate, as well . They all work pretty good. For the Hydro's, the thicker version seems fine.

Lately, I'm using the 5.5" SDO pads with the ~5" plate and have been enjoying that experience.
    Thanks for the info. Good to hear you have used 5.5" pads enjoyed it. Havent pulled the trigger yet but I think I will be happy going from the HF da to the new 3401 "supa beast". I do have a couple 6.5" pads I could try on the 5" backing plate it comes with also.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike, so what pads from your experience would you recommend for the 5" backing pad ? I was going to order the LC Hybrid Force pads, but these dont seem to be that favourable for this machine in that size.
    Sorry just seen your section regarding pads for the Griots, which confuses me a little as the LC Force Hybrids are the ones they recommend for the Flex Beast, So I'm a bit more confused now, I wont be getting the larger backing plate anytime soon and my first choice of pad would have been the 5.5's from Lake country and their recommended pad for the machine, so is their recommendation for pad a bit off for the machine in that size ?

Newbie Member Gloss Garage Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    After reading these comments and observations, it made me think a little bit what these mentioned influences are, how they are lessened, and had some other thoughts.

Seems Rupes has recognized that issue, and thus formulated special "Mille" Compounds and Polishes to give greater lubricity and longer work time when used with their forced rotation Mille.

Thus, I'm thinking that not only the Pad Size and Type play an influence, but also the Chemicals in use. That some products might be more prone to being grabby, drier, or dry faster in use, a shorter work time, have a tendency to make the user fight with the operations of Compounding and Polishing. Possible?

What about a Pad Conditioner also? Might one reap some improvements in Polishing ease with these products adding lubricity with virtually any Polish-Compound?
    I have to agree that the liquids definitely could have a something to do with it. I am a BIG fan of the Mille Coarse compound and I feel it works amazing on the 15/21mm long throw machine with wool/microfiber/etc. I will be sure to give it a go on the XCE.

I haven’t had much time with Mille Fine or Mille Ultra Fine but I own them as well and will have to play with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I wish I could give you a 5 minute lesson in person. I would show you how to make this polisher dance on paint or plow through paint depending on when you need to do.

Don't be afraid to man-handle it. If you need to remove swirls and scratches, hold the pad flat to the surface and PRESS down on it! Make sure YOU control it. If you feel it pulling in any direction then you're not holding the pad flat to the surface. This tool is a true BEAST but YOU have to become the Master and show it who's the boss!
    I will definitely be giving it the muscles soon!!

AND - if you ever see me teaching a class in your area - attend. You will learn more in my class than 10 years of trying to figure it all out on your own.

If you ever come to Atlanta, Chattanooga, etc - I will be there without a doubt! Would very much look forward to that.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Gloss Garage Detail View Post

If you ever come to Atlanta, Chattanooga, etc - I will be there without a doubt! Would very much look forward to that.
    Scroll through the 6 pages photo-documenting this class in Roswell, Georgia.

Pictures & Comments - Atlanta, Georgia Roadshow Class!

I'm working with the owner, Jim Thomas to lock down a date for a second class at his NEW facility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Gloss Garage, thanks for the pics and sharing your experiences.

Myself, on the "old" 3401, I have used 4" Hydro Tech pads on the smaller backing plate, 5.5" pads, and the larger pads on the larger backing plate, as well . They all work pretty good. For the Hydro's, the thicker version seems fine.

Lately, I'm using the 5.5" SDO pads with the ~5" plate and have been enjoying that experience.
    I can say that on this XCE, the thinner pads (Mille, Griots) and even the HDO’s are very comfortable. The softer Force Hybrid pads (White, Black) in 5.5” might feel great, however I only tried the hard orange cutting foam and it was not good at all. I am yet to try the orange again but in 6.5” and with this new 6” plate, but maybe it will fare better.

7. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm working with the owner, Jim Thomas to lock down a date for a second class at his NEW facility.

Mike, I will be there without a doubt! Very excited for that.

On another note...

I finally got a chance to try the 6" plate you (& Autogeek ) graciously sent, as well as the 6.5" Force Hybrid pads - surprise, surprise..it was MUCH better than with the 5" plate and 5.5" Force Hybrid pads. In fact, after using the 6" plate with the 6.5" Orange Force Hybrid, I immediately swapped back to the 5" plate and 5.5" Orange Force Hybrid with the same liquid (Mille Coarse) and buffed the same panel (my work van/test mule fender) to make sure I wasn't just being a wuss about it the last time I used it. It was MUCH better. The best non-scientific explanation I can give is that the thick and, like you mentioned, cylindrical shape of the 5.5" Force Hybrid pads are much more sensitive to angling of the pad or not keeping it exactly flat. With the larger footprint of the 6.5" pads, it is not quite as susceptible to that.

I believe that I still prefer thinner pads, but I will continue to use these. IMO, with the stock 5" plate, a medium (BnS Uro-Tec style) to thin (Griot's, Mille) style pad is a MUST. With the 6" plate and 6.5" pads, it is not near as touchy.

My entire pad collection is 5"-5.5" (except for my rotary wools & foams) due to how much I've used the Rupes machines - but now I fully intend on picking up a decent amount of 6"-6.5" pads.

Thanks for everything Mike! I look forward to the class!!

9. Thanks PEAD19, Diner, KBsToy thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

On another note...

I finally got a chance to try the 6" plate you (& Autogeek ) graciously sent, as well as the 6.5" Force Hybrid pads - surprise, surprise..it was MUCH better than with the 5" plate and 5.5" Force Hybrid pads.
    And BOOM! There it is. I'm vindicated.

Larger backing plate and larger pad on either the gear-drive BEAST or Supa BEAST feels best. Feels right. Works best. Works right.

In fact, after using the 6" plate with the 6.5" Orange Force Hybrid, I immediately swapped back to the 5" plate and 5.5" Orange Force Hybrid with the same liquid (Mille Coarse) and buffed the same panel (my work van/test mule fender) to make sure I wasn't just being a wuss about it the last time I used it. I

t was MUCH better.
    Good for you - it's always best when you use a tool and pad combo and figure it out for yourself versus JUST taking someone else's opinion.

The best non-scientific explanation I can give is that the thick and, like you mentioned, cylindrical shape of the 5.5" Force Hybrid pads are much more sensitive to angling of the pad or not keeping it exactly flat.

With the larger footprint of the 6.5" pads, it is not quite as susceptible to that.
    That is a great explanation and i agree with it.

Now if the old 4" backing plates were available and the OLD STYLE TAPERED 5" Force Hybrid pads were still available - these would be a great combo for these tools because the face of the pad would squish outward instead of inward and then the "feel" would feel good when buffing.

Thanks for everything Mike! I look forward to the class!!
    And since we started this thread a little thing happened on the way to the class called,

Coronaviruse

As I type today, Tuesday, April 14th 2020 - we're still in the middle of this virus pandemic and as such - all roadshow classes are cancelled until we break on through to the other side, to quote the Doors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12