autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Compound to use once a year by hand

Quote Originally Posted by PeteT19640 View Post
    Thanks
    I use 3m Hand Glaze.
    The way I do things
    Wash
    Clay
    Glaze
    WDGPS

With Meguiars 205 or Ultimate polish I would do this before the glaze?

Does this look ok?

Thanks again
    That's right polishing before the glaze.

I know that Sonax is a very popular OTC products here in Sweden and EU that works great by hand too. Useing something like the Sonax P-Ball is getting it easier to work by hand. And also you can use any 3" polishing pad on it as it's like a normal backing plate velcro. The polishes often gets an AIO/cleaner wax for getting easier to work by hand and usually leaves with pretty good filling ability from them too. The Sonax product that I would chose would be the Sonax Hybrid NPT Cleaner Wax for the polishing and a little protection left behind. If you want to stay in the family and up the longevity from it Sonax Nano Technology Liquid Wax has the same kind of protection product in it that the cleaner wax has.
    Also if I'm not wrong since some Sonax products has different names on them than here in Sweden. I think that the Sonax Easy Shine is the product that has been the go to for many years here in Sweden when you are hand polishing and buy OTC. I used this many years ago and it's very easy to use. The downside is that the protection from it don't last very long at all LOL. But both filling and correcting pretty good though.

I think that like Sonax here in EU the Meguiars is for you in the US. So most of the Meguiars OTC polishes and AIO I think would be very easy to use by hand too. And I trust them who recommend the M205 to work by hand too and could be a great option to go with. I think that it's important which kind of product you use to be hand polishing with is also important to get the great results from it. I see Wolfgang has some hand polishing tools and the Sonax P-Ball as mentioned. You can easy switch to a suited pad to polishing with. Even Nanoskin has a clay pad hand holder that will work great with polishing pads. Something like a 5" thin polishing pad and you can get more surface polished at the same time.

SONAX P-Ball

SONAX Paint Cleaner, sonax prewax cleaner, sonax car polish, sonax cleaner polish

SONAX NanoTechnology Liquid Wax, sonax liquid car wax, car wax sealant, wax protectant, auto wax

SONAX Easy Shine, all in one polish wax

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all

Im going to try Meguiars 205
    Can I use 205 by hand once a year?
    Can I use Terry Cloth?

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all

Can I use Terry Cloth?

Thank you
    Yes you can. Get yourself some foam applicators. The terry cloth may scour the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply.
    Was going to use on whole car after claying

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all

Can I use Terry Cloth?

Thank you
    My personal preference, I like using Microfiber Applicators versus using Foam Applicators for things like Polishing. I think they are more effective, and will create better cut.

I prefer though using Foam Applicators for Waxes and Sealants, that I believe application is easier, and that a person can also apply a much thinner coat versus Microfiber Applicators.

If you have access to both types of applicators, of course try both and use the ones you personally like best.

M205 is a quite fine finishing polish, but it can be used to good effect on let's say areas like where Door Handles are, and the scratches that often occur there from Fingernails.

By hand, I'd personally do just one Panel at a time, both application, and removal, then move on to the next. And there's no harm or foul should you choose a re-application anywhere.

Commonly, what's usually the very worst panel and takes the biggest beating on a Vehicle is the Hood. One cause I believe is engine heat. Because of engine heat, protectants seem to "bake away", thus it's often the first panel that loses good protection, unless we're taking wicked winter conditions with snow, slush, ice, and road salts.

The downsides of hand application versus a machine such as a D/A Polisher, it takes longer, not nearly as effective, and when attempting to do an entire vehicle, it does get hard on the hands and arms.

A quart of #205 is a lot of product, so you will have it for more than one usage or vehicle. Like any such chemicals, best to always keep it indoors, away from temperature extremes so you'll get the longest storage life from it. Always shake very well before use.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply.
    Will give it ago with your recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Like SWETM said, get something like the Sonax PBall. I think Griots also makes something like that. You will get much better results with less effort than you will using your hand as a backing plate.

9. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do m105 inside door handles by hand and it works good I’ve tried polishes and don’t notice any difference in gloss on differences is in cut. With either one your really not removing a lot of CC but 105 works awesome for me maybe try it. If your going at it by hand it can be done because I’ve done it too before I had tools and take before and after photos think you be really happy.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

I'll agree and concur with Meg's #205 Polish by hand if one can get away with not needing a compound that's too aggressive. Can do triple duty with a D/A or Rotary too.
    Thanks to all

Can I use Terry Cloth?

Thank you

See what I shared in your other thread here,

Hand compounding @ polishing applicators

Also - VERY IMPORTANT

Before you rub out your entire car with anything, start by doing a TEST SPOT.

Test what you THINK you want to apply to the entire car, this includes,

• The applicator pad
    • The product
    • Your technique

- how you plan on moving your hand/applicator pad over the paint

Do this to one small area and then INSPECT.

Make sure you can make one small area look GREAT before you repeat the process to the rest of the car.

Reminds me of a story from 1993 on the Usenet Newsgroups where I first started talking about doing Test Spots.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast