autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: service charge

Post Thanks / Like

service charge

Hi, my name is Laramie and I recently began detailing. I have a few questions on how much to charge for my service. I don't want to give my work away and I dont want charge to much. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: service charge

First. Welcome. Where are you from?

Post Thanks / Like

Your probably not going to get much detailed advice on that kind of question.
    Good luck and hope you make it out there-- keep us posted with some updates and photos!!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

•Something to consider:
    -Once the value of one’s time, that’s being
    spent detailing, has been determined...

•Then:
    -Charging an hourly rate, that honestly
    reflects that value, would be suitable, IMO.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

6. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by laramie View Post

Hi, my name is Laramie and I recently began detailing.

I have a few questions on how much to charge for my service.

I don't want to give my work away and I dont want charge to much. Any ideas?

You want to start by creating at least 3 packages for exterior detailing only.

If you're going to offer to detail the inside and outside of the car for a single price, you still need 3 packages.

Package 1 - Basic interior detail and basic exterior detail, which is doing one-step to the paint after normal steps of washing and claying.

Package 2 - Basic interior detail and 2-step paint correction. With this package, after the normal steps of washing and claying, you can do a dedicated polishing step and then seal with a dedicated LSP. The LSP can be a car wax, a synthetic paint sealant or a ceramic paint coating. If you offer a ceramic paint coating you have to charge for the extra steps of,

1: Chemically stripping the paint.
    2: Installing the ceramic paint coating.

Plus - build in the price of the coating or make the customer purchase it.

Package 3 - Basic interior detail and for the exterior everything in Package 2 PLUS compounding the paint to remove more defects before the polishing step.

I could type out a book going into details for the above but I'm not going to unless there's any "real" interest. Typing time is costly.

As for doing "more" on the interior, for example instead of doing a basic cleaning if a customer NEEDS the carpets or upholstery hot water extracted, that's going to take more time and more work/products/tools. So you need a charge for that.

The BIG PICTURE = You need to create "packages" for your work as not every person nor every car needs the same thing. It's your job to evaluate the CUSTOMER first, figure out what package is best for them and then evaluate the CAR and match your services to the customer, their needs and the car.

By the above what I mean is a customer with a basic daily driver will likely be happy with and pay for Package 1. A customer with a BLACK Corvette that's hammered will likely be happy with and pay for Package 2 or Package 3. You cannot offer and match your customers a "package" until you create them.

I would say the biggest mistake most "new" detailers make is they don't have packages because they simply don't know they NEED different packages. So they limp along doing FULL DETAILS for every customer and every car and make zero profit. Then they get discouraged and give up.

You have made the correct START. You joined this forum and asked a great first question in your first post.

Mike Phillips

Than you for sharing this link as it shows Packages.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post

Here's an example or mock-up of what some basic packages can look like. I can e-mail you this forum and using Microsoft Word, you can edit it and plug in your own words and prices. At least this will give you a starting point to improve on.

It gives you something to show your customer too. Most customers, (people), don't know anything about car detailing and what it takes to do a Package 1, or a Package 2, etc. They just want someone to clean their car. It's YOUR job to educate your customer. The better you are at educating your customer and actually knowing what you're doing, the more money you can charge.

If you can, go to Mobile Tech Expo in Orlando, Florida in January. I'm teaching 8 classes this year and there are also other great classes you can take.

This is the best bang for your buck for anyone NEW to detailing for profit. Find a way to get there and LEARN. And network too.

2020 Mobile Tech Expo Class Schedule for Education Day on Thursday in Orlando, Florida

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    First. Welcome. Where are you from?
    I'm from Tioga County 20,000 pop. Pennsylvania

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by laramie View Post

I'm from Tioga County 20,000 pop. Pennsylvania

I taught one of my Roadshow Classes in Pennsylvania just a few months ago...

Pictures - Allentown, Pennsylvania Roadshow Car Detailing Class

These are the MOST hands-on detailing classes on Planet Earth.

And I start the ON TIME!

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures - Allentown, Pennsylvania Roadshow Car Detailing Class

These are the MOST hands-on detailing classes on Planet Earth.

And I start the ON TIME!

[/QUOTE]
    Whew-- I sure hope that was an evening session

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast