autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What to do with one pit on windshield that left white mark?

I've read all the windshield polishing threads I could find and the pros and cons but nothing I found addresses my problem. My new 2019 took a hit from a stone that left a pit very near my line of sight. Not directly but close enough that I see it and being a "nut" about detailing I would really like to find a way to eliminate the white appearance, almost like it was frosted or sandblasted, if you know what I mean. The spot is not big, maybe a 16th of an inch in diameter, but nothing I have found will get this frosted looking pit to appear clear. I know the pit will not go away but I wold like to make it less visible? Some kind of clear coat?

Thanks in advance, glad to be here.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to do with one pit on windshield that left white mark?

How about Safelite auto glass repair? They are mobile and nationwide.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the stuff they inject into impact cracks. That pit most likely is way too deep to try to polish out. Corrective polishing on glass can be a nightmare. You'll end up with a wavy spot in the glass optically.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been to Safelite and the guy pretty much blew me off. It's not a depth of the pit issue, what I am hoping to accomplish is turn the white frosted appearance clear, it doesn't need to be filled. When the window is wet it's virtually invisible but when it dries it's a white spot. I've read people have dropped clear nail polish in these but then read a lot of opinion that say no don't do that.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar situation on my wife's car. Small chip near her line of sight. My insurance called Safelite and the company sent someone out to repair it. The guy told me that he can't make the chip go away just "repair" it so it wont get any bigger. Well that's no help. Then get this; he told me sometimes when repairing the chip, the windshield will crack. If that happens then Safelite is not responsible. I said no thanks and sent him on his way. In addition, before we even started discussing the windshield, he told me my wiper blades needed replacing. They were only a month old. LOL I will never use this company.
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

You can get the material they inject into the cracks on Amazon. People try to fix their cracked smartphone screens with it. You could try to fill the pit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
    I've been to Safelite and the guy pretty much blew me off. It's not a depth of the pit issue, what I am hoping to accomplish is turn the white frosted appearance clear, it doesn't need to be filled. When the window is wet it's virtually invisible but when it dries it's a white spot. I've read people have dropped clear nail polish in these but then read a lot of opinion that say no don't do that.
    I don’t know where you live but here in Florida you can get your Windshield replaced for free because of that. With your car Ins.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tons of rock chips on glass and I asked the windshield repair person what he recommended on those fine chips. His suggestion was to not try drilling out the chip but rather fill it with the repair material. I suspect that you need to treat this gently with a fine pick, I suspect the white you see is similar to a scratch. The impact left the glass with multiple jagged edges and those edges will distort the light. Assuming now you have cleaned out that void, then use the repair kits sold on AG or your auto parts store to fill up the void. Let it cure and then slice it flush with a razor blade to help make the surface flat.

Something to try without spending too much.

Mike Phillips

I've polished a LOT Of glass in my life. Here's my observations.

When most people make the decision to TRY and then get the proper tools and product - they give up because it's PHYSICALLY HARD and very time consuming. And "yes" this is the most common outcome I've seen in the last 10+years.

After a person tries and then gives-up, they find a way to crack or break their windshield and let insurance take over.

The pits in this windshield were shallow, but they were also all over the windshield and I removed them. I'm not afraid of hard work either.

How to remove tiny pinhole pits in glass windows using a rotary buffer

Tiny tiny tiny pinhole pits in the glass

After about 2 ours of constant hard buffing with a rotary polisher....

Clarity restored

10. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post