autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

White spots on paint?

Hi

Long-time reader first time poster!

I posted this in another forum but thought I'd test the waters here as well.

I am new to detailing and recently bought a brand new phantom black car. I made sure the dealer didn’t touch it and then I washed it, clayed it, Mequiar's Ultimate Polish, Mequiar's Quick Wax and then over a week I applied two coast of their Hybrid Ceramic Wax.

On my second wash (first coat of HCW, after full detail) I noticed some white dots on various parts of the paint work. The below pic is where they are grouped the most but they are all over the car - hood, doors etc. They appeared rough so the first thing I did was clay them. They smoothed out but are still there in appearance. The ones I didn’t clay by comparison are still pretty rough. So somehow whatever these are, they are both below and above the surface.

I am almost certain they weren't there before the full detail and after the first wash. Any ideas what these could be and how I could remove them?

I am thinking maybe they are small divots filled in with polish. Just doesn't make sense that a brand new car would have this many chips in the paint work already and some are in odd locations that aren't usually prone to chips.

I've ordered some Langka for a different issue - should I try rub some of this on and see what happens?

The pic is of 3 white dots after i clayed and buffed extensively with UQD and QD. The non circled white dots are just wind particles and not stuck on the paint.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Phillips

Re: White spots on paint?

Did you try to simply pick them off with your fingernail?

Also - because this is your first post,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike - good to be here!

I haven't - before i clayed i could tell they were rough but couldn't tell if they were below or above the surface. I was worried of doing more damage than good by trying to scrape them off.

A panel beater mate (before i noticed all of these), looked at two i have on the front of the car and said they are rough so are chips. I haven't clayed these ones on the front yet so they may be chips, or they might just be the same as the others.

I guess i will try pick them out (the ones i have clayed) with a tooth pick or something?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Did you try to simply pick them off with your fingernail?

Also - because this is your first post,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

You are a genius Mike!

i clayed a few of the spots again, sprayed some bug and tar remover on and let it sit for a bit. Buffed it off... they were still there. I got a tooth pick and slowly scraped at them and they started to fall away...

Must be dried product of some sort.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would've thought that Claying would've gotten this problem rectified, but perhaps the clay you used was on the mild side, or not used enough? Glad to hear that it does appear to be on top of the paint, and not in the paint.

I'd likely reach for a more aggressive clay first, and not try to resort to a more aggressive polish to remove them.

Optimum sells a more aggressive Black Clay here, this might be the ticket?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post

You are a genius Mike!
    There's plenty of people that will disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post

I got a tooth pick and slowly scraped at them and they started to fall away...

Must be dried product of some sort.

Just guess on my part but from your description and the appearance, it must have been "something in the air".

A fingernail, popsicle stick, plastic razor blade, old credit card, room key card, etc.

Sometimes, the keep it simple simon approach gets the job done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would've thought that Claying would've gotten this problem rectified, but perhaps the clay you used was on the mild side, or not used enough? Glad to hear that it does appear to be on top of the paint, and not in the paint.

I'd likely reach for a more aggressive clay first, and not try to resort to a more aggressive polish to remove them.

Optimum sells a more aggressive Black Clay here, this might be the ticket?

Hi MarkD51

I used Mequiars clay and detail spray for this. I have read that it is quite a mild clay but i originally bought it as the car was only 1.5 months old when i first got it (3 weeks ago) and clayed it.

Thanks for that - i might see if i can that somewhere here in Aus for the rest of them. I had a look but can't seem to find it online. The only clays available in auto shops here are Bowdens, Mothers and the Mequiars i already have. I found this which seems to be more aggressive but not too heavy duty - Clay Magic Red Clay Bar (Medium) 200gr | Car Care Products Australia

Yeah, I thought it odd that whatever the spots are survived multiple and extensive clays, detail sprays, bug removers and around 4-5 washes.

After i got rid of the 2 on the front (which a guy at a bodyshop swore were chips :/), i noticed what appears to be a scratch/chip in the clear coat. Not at all rough so again - hard to tell. it is silver rather than white and jaggered edges in appearance rather than white and circular like these ones. Maybe this one can be polished out.