autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint Coating Product Advice

I'm wanting to put a ceramic on my 2011 Corvette Grand Sport. I have been correcting the paint and the clear coat seems to be a bit "soft". There are still a lot of scratches that I cannot get out, but I am afraid to do any more corrections on it. I do not know the paint thickness so I am going to take it to a professional. I've been using Griot's Garage (GG) Complete Compound with an orange Lake Country cutting pad for corrections. I followed that up with the GG Complete on a LC white polishing pad.

I did a bunch of research and I think I finally have it narrowed down to the following products. I have never coated a car, but I know I can do it, so something "user" friendly is important. I don't want to sacrifice a durable coating though. I know it will not prevent scratches and swirls, but even if it helps a little bit I will be happy.

Anything else I am missing from my list (GYEON) or specific recommendations? I almost fell into the Avalon King trap, but I followed my gut and stayed with the AG family of products.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Coating Product Advice

I have only used Cquartz UK from that list, but have used both v2 and v3 several times and really like it.

I find it easy to apply, looks good, and has really good durability.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I too would go with CQ UK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottStoef View Post
    I'm wanting to put a ceramic on my 2011 Corvette Grand Sport. I have been correcting the paint and the clear coat seems to be a bit "soft". There are still a lot of scratches that I cannot get out, but I am afraid to do any more corrections on it. I do not know the paint thickness so I am going to take it to a professional. I've been using Griot's Garage (GG) Complete Compound with an orange Lake Country cutting pad for corrections. I followed that up with the GG Complete on a LC white polishing pad.

I did a bunch of research and I think I finally have it narrowed down to the following products. I have never coated a car, but I know I can do it, so something "user" friendly is important. I don't want to sacrifice a durable coating though. I know it will not prevent scratches and swirls, but even if it helps a little bit I will be happy.

Anything else I am missing from my list (GYEON) or specific recommendations? I almost fell into the Avalon King trap, but I followed my gut and stayed with the AG family of products.
    I have found the paint on this year corvette to be on the hard side. So it sounds like the compound and pad you have is not removing the defects on the hard paint. If you have a microfiber pad you could give it a test spot with the current compound you have and see if that removes the harder defects. I had the same experience on my 02 SS, my dad's 02 Z28, and my cousins 2010 Camaro. These required a microfiber cutting pad to remove the defects.

Based on my experience I would choose Cquartz UK 3.0. It has proven to be a very good coating that just performs very well. I would even recommend topping it with Gliss to get that extra gloss but more importantly adding that slickness. It will take a couple panels for you to get the hang of the coating. And don't worry about high spots and just focus on the application and removal process.

Pinnacle's coatings are the easiest to use.

GTechniq CSL is nice to work with in terms of application but it needs Exo to add that hydrophobic property. It is pretty good but Cquartz alone beats it in durability and overall performance.

I would not bother looking at Gyeon other than CanCoat. Cquartz and Gtechniq are better than their Synchro coating based on my experience.

Be sure to get yourself a prep product like Eraser and get yourself some good towels like the edgeless 300 from that rag company. Use two towels, one for the initial removal and the second for the final wipe. You will cycle your towels once all sides are used and you notice that you are just pushing product around.

I bombarded you with a lot of information. Feel free to ask more questions.

Mike Phillips

I'm wanting to put a ceramic on my 2011 Corvette Grand Sport. I have been correcting the paint and the clear coat seems to be a bit "soft". There are still a lot of scratches that I cannot get out, but I am afraid to do any more corrections on it.
    I've buffed out a boat load of Vettes and like Michael aka The Guz, I have found the clears on most modern Corvettes to more on the hard side than on the soft or medium side.

That said, if it's a daily driver I wouldn't chase after each and ever scratch, in fact, I'll write a brand new article explaining what I do and share it here.

I do not know the paint thickness so I am going to take it to a professional.
    Unless they have a real expensive Paint Thickness Gauge, they won't be able to measure the paint thickness on composite body panels. Even if they have the right gauge, it likely will only read total film thickness, not individual layers.

Instead, read this article and then after doing your best, take a rest and move forward. Don't turn detailing your car into Rocket Science.

The two reasons WHY you should always do a Test Spot before buffing out any car

Read the part under reason #2 in the above article,

2: To figure out the least aggressive approach

I've been using Griot's Garage (GG) Complete Compound with an orange Lake Country cutting pad for corrections. I followed that up with the GG Complete on a LC white polishing pad.
    I've used the Griot's Complete Compound a couple times. It works well but the wipe-off can be a tick on the sticky side. Moving forward, check out their BOSS line of products. Get the BOSS Correction Cream. It's a great compound. I show the BOSS system in all my classes. I'd trust it on any black car and that means something in my book.

All three of those are quality products. The PBL Surface Coating is the easiest to use and also re-apply. This is also my go-to for a glass coating. Love this stuff. One of my favorite products. I wish it wasn't so expensive.

Side story - I taught a Roadshow Class in Powel, Ohio last summer, the owner, Richie Dillinger shared a story with me after the class. A few years ago when the PBL line was first introduced, I think this was in 2013, on the last day of SEMA (in 2013), Richie stopped by the Autogeek Booth and offered to buy the open bottle of PBL Surface Coating I was demonstrating. For anyone that has never been to SEMA and specifically, for anyone that has never WORKED a booth at SEMA - on the last day you SELL EVERYTHING!

If you don't sell it you have to pack it up and then in a few weeks un-pack it. So as a ritual, about 3:00pm on Friday at SEMA if it isn't nailed down it's for sale and if it is nailed down we have a hammer that can remove nails.

To cut to the chase, Richie told me after returning home with the PBL Surface Coating, he washed and prepped his Corvette for the coating and then installed it. (wipe on, wipe off), then he let the other shoe drop. It's still o their to this day.

That's the fall of 2013 to now. That's 6 years. I didn't walk out to the back of the shop yard where the Vette was parked to inspect it but from where I stood it looked good. Richie owns a full fledged car and boat detailing shop. If he thought he needed to remove it and start fresh he certainly had the time.

Anyway back to your question. I would suggest pick from one of these,

Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer and top it with the EXO - I show this combo in my class.

CarPro CQuartz UK Edition

Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating topped with the Surface Coating - this is what I use on the wife's car

All three are quality products. Like the Guz said, the PBL is the easiest to apply.

Mike Phillips

Always kind of weird to quote yourself but here goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I've buffed out a boat load of Vettes and like Michael aka The Guz, I have found the clears on most modern Corvettes to more on the hard side than on the soft or medium side.

That said, if it's a daily driver I wouldn't chase after each and ever scratch, in fact, I'll write a brand new article explaining what I do and share it here.

True to word, here it is. This took me about 25 minutes to think out. The typing is fast, it's the thinking part that takes a few minutes.

When to stop buffing - Or - How far should you go to remove swirls and scratches?

Here's a quote I like and share a lot,

Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it. - Henry Ford

Hope the article helps...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions. I especially want to thank Guz and Mike for going that extra mile to help me out. I'm sure I am worried about the possibility of going through the clear coat on a car I just got a month ago. It is better to be safe than DIVORCED! I guess what you are saying about the hardness makes sense. Even after I compounded and polished the area the only thing removed were the minor swirl marks. Don't get me wrong it looks A LOT better. I was just surprised the "scuffs" didn't come out, especially since I couldn't catch anything with my fingernail.

I will definitely read the articles you have Mike, and I appreciate you putting one together to help me out.

Best Regards!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I ended up getting the PBL Paint and Surface Coating. Based on Mike's comment, I should apply the paint coating first and then a topcoat of Surface coating. Is my understanding correct? How long do I need to let the paint coating cure before applying the topcoat?

If I remember correctly, I can only put the paint coating on anything with an applied clear coat finish. I had my headlights professionally cleaned and clear coated so I should be able to use it on them as well. The surface coating goes over everything else. Right????

Mike Phillips

I ended up getting the PBL Paint and Surface Coating.

Based on Mike's comment, I should apply the paint coating first and then a topcoat of Surface coating.

Is my understanding correct?

How long do I need to let the paint coating cure before applying the topcoat?
    Best results are to apply the paint coating and then after treating and giving the treated section the final buff, wait for a window-of-time from 12 to 24 hours to allow the product to cure/dry/harden, etc.

Like I wrote in this recent article,

Window of Time - How long to wait after applying a coating, wax or sealant before....

If I remember correctly, I can only put the paint coating on anything with an applied clear coat finish.

I had my headlights professionally cleaned and clear coated so I should be able to use it on them as well.
    Correct.

The surface coating goes over everything else.

Right????
    Correct.

Apply the Surface coating over everything else, paint, glass, plastic (taillights, b-pillars, trim etc)

Mike Phillips

I ended up getting the PBL Paint and Surface Coating.

For what it's worth, I just used these two products on my new-to-me car.

Review: PBL Paint Coating & Surface Coating - 2017 IFINITI QX30 - Magnetic Red

Results are nothing short of freaking amazing.

One comment....

In my previous reply above, when you asked,

How long do I need to let the paint coating cure before applying the topcoat?

I answered you like this - the "official" and recommended procedure that is standard for all coatings of any brand. Note the first two words - best results

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Best results are to apply the paint coating and then after treating and giving the treated section the final buff, wait for a window-of-time from 12 to 24 hours to allow the product to cure/dry/harden, etc.

The above is correct and accurate. That said, after I apply the PBL Paint Coating and I mess around for about an hour doing other things, wrap-up, clean and coat the glass, finish interior, (whatever), I then go around the car and mist the Surface Coating onto the major panels, roof, hood and trunk lid, spread around and wipe clean.

I also hit the top portions of the sides, usually from the waist up, normally there's some sort of "body line" running across the fenders and doors, this is the area I hit. And also the area behind the door handles.

This product makes everything slick and slippery. You'll feel if not so much as you're wiping off the product because your microfiber towel will be a little damp (because you just wiped off a "liquid"), but afterwards, take a clean, dry microfiber towel and wipe if gently over any treated surface.

You'll see what I mean.

The opposite of rubbery.

Then anytime in the future after you wash and dry the car, do the light misting of the Surface cleaner to all the surfaces from the waist up. Even the glass. It only takes a few minutes and the results are a car that looks like you just spend all day on it and washes and dries incredibly fast.

It will also self-wash in a hard rain.

Test and see.,

Cool 2-punch products.

11. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast