autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Winter maintenance

Hi Folks,

I live in VT and when our road crews actually do plow, I'm fairly certain what they throw down is probably some sort of nuclear waste. I just got a new-to-me Lexus GX470 and due to health issues the best I could do before the snow comes was a good wash followed by Collonite 845.

The paint is nice but rough and definitely needs correcting, which will have to wait until Spring. My question is about those coin-operated washes. Do you recommend them and how often? Should I use the soap they have? I was always under the impression that the soap at those washes ate wax.

In a nutshell, what would you say is the best practice for someone in the heavy road-salted Northeast with no access to a garage and only the coin operated places?

Thanks so much for all that you do for the community!

Regards,

Bobby

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter maintenance

Hi Bobby, I'm sure you are probably getting that bad weather already.

I have heard good and bad about them. The bad is that the soap is so strong it starts to eat away at what ever wax/sealant you have on there. The reason it's strong is to do it's job since it's a touchless wash. Hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge about them will chime in. But sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get the salt off.

One thing you could do is get you a couple of buckets with the Gamma Seal lids (that way you won't soak your interior on the ride there) and a Boar hairs brush. That way you could use your own soap and have your own brush to scrub it with instead of using theirs with who knows what it was used for before you got there. My wife and daughter got me a brush for my birthday last December and it works out great.
    Last edited by Me Time; 11-14-2019 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Misspelled

3. Likes Tieguy77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I would never use the brush or broom the car wash has on the paint of my vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bobby!
    I also live in the NorthEast and winter care is always a challenge. I have to shut off the outside water due to the hose running underground and will freeze once the ground does.

So I will go once a week to the pressure washer and get the worst off the car.
    If there is a warm-ish spell I will do this and then follow-up at home with a rinseless wash.

Once in a blue moon I might go through a touchless car wash but that is far and few in-between.

Do the best you can. But please, don't use those brushes at the coin-ops OR the Swirl-O-Matic car wash

Good luck!
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

6. Likes PaulMys, dman68 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you DetailKitty! We have the same issues with having to shut the water off. I have seen people do some horrendous things to beautiful cars with those brushes and not even give it a second thought. To each their own, but it always makes my skin crawl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tieguy77 View Post
    Thank you DetailKitty! We have the same issues with having to shut the water off. I have seen people do some horrendous things to beautiful cars with those brushes and not even give it a second thought. To each their own, but it always makes my skin crawl.
    I'd rather have my car dirty for a month than take one of those brushes to it!
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

9. Likes Tieguy77, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the coin-op owners how they are with you useing your own products. And do you have one that you have the option to do a last rinse with DI water?

If they have an option with DI water. I would get me a foam pump pressure spray bottle or a pump pressure spray bottle. Get you the Gtechnic W4 Citrus Foam and dilute it to 1:25 in either bottle you decide to get. When you get into the coin-op wash bay directly apply the Citrus Foam and let it dwell for 5 minutes or so it don't dries on the paint. With no prerinse you get it more effective. Then you use the water pressure from the PW to clean with. You use the water pressure from the PW as wash mitt and start from the bottom and work your way up and then thoroughly rinse anything left off the paint with the DI water option. And you are done. Or you can if possible do a bucket wash with multible wash mitts or a rinseless wash or waterless wash after you have clean rinsed off the prewash. The benefit with the Citrus Foam is if the foaming draws unwanted attention. You can use it with great results from a pump pressure spray bottle or a spray bottle too. This will help you get off a little more with the PW. But use the PW to clean with and just not have it far away and rinse as you would rinse off a car soap solution with a hose. After the rinse you can drive home and do a rinseless wash or waterless wash if you want to and need to. This method you will not get it perfectly clean with doing it touchless. But not far from it is my experience with doing this both in the winter months here in Sweden and the all around the year.

You can even get you a spray on rinse off product like Gyeon Wet Coat or Carpro Hydro2 lite or Sonax Spray and Seal. Use the DI water or the water and spray on 1 panel and rinse it off very thoroughly and do the next and so on and start from the top and work your way down. And final rinse step with the DI water. This way you top up your protection easly too.

Remember if you have a very low temperature you want to do a contact wash of some kind so you can dry your vehical. You can get away with just doing a WW on the jambs and the seals and where you have water still left after you come home. So you don't get them to freeze on you. Or maybe get the cordless Flex blowdryer and dry at the coin-op wash bay.

Kwazar Mercury Pro + Double-Action Spray Bottles, high output sprayers, detail sprayers, chemical sprayers

IK Pressure Sprayers

GTechniq W4 Citrus Foam

GYEON WetCoat - 500 ml

CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant 1 Liter

https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-spray-and-seal.html

https://www.autogeek.net/flex-cordle...plete-set.html

/ Tony

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tony, outstanding information. Thank you so much. I have to look into a couple of the local Coin-operated spots to see if any offer DI water as I suspect they do not.

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The coin op washes are good for blasting the crud off the vehicle. I would not use their soap for you don’t know how acidic it may be. After the initial blast of water, you can do a rinseless wash in your driveway. I also fill a couple of buckets and use a Worx Hydroshot to rinse the vehicle when it is too cold for the hose. Get yourself some Glacier Bay ice fishing gloves.

15. Thanks Tieguy77 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, DetailKitty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last time I used a coin op wash there was a guy scrubbing his trailered bbq smoker with the brush....I thought to myself this is why you should not use the brush

Sent from my SM-A205U using Autogeekonline mobile app

17. Likes SWETM, DetailKitty liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast