autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

2020 Mobile Tech Expo Class Schedule for Education Day on Thursday in Orlando, Florida

2020 Mobile Tech Expo Class Schedule for Education Day on Thursday in Orlando, Florida

You can find the online schedule here. Look at the column under the title Detailing - second column from the left

MTE Education Day - Thursday

I have something special for each of these classes to make them as hands-on with IMPACT as possible. Also - Autogeek working on something to for everyone that attends a class.

2020 Schedule Mobile Tech Expo Classes for Education Day

Thursday, January 30th, 2020

8:00am to 8:50am

1: Boat Detailing – Wetsanding, Correction, Chemical Stripping & Installing a Ceramic Coating

Learn to do this,

In this class you will learn the fastest techniques for removing DEEP oxidation via machine wetsanding followed by how to remove 100% of your sanding marks and restore a swirl-free, show car finish to a boat gel-coats. Then you’ll learn the correct techniques to chemically strip the gel-coat and install a ceramic coating. Most important – you will learn how to remove most of the GRUNT work out of the process, which also means dramatically reducing time and sore muscles. This means less work, less time and more profit. PLUS – removing deep oxidation means better results that last longer. Sealing with a ceramic coating means the oxidation stays away longer and the results last longer, this means happy customers and increased word-of-mouth advertising.

9:00am to 9:50am

2: Short Stroke vs Long Stroke Orbital Polishers – Differences & Benefits

Some people say long stroke is the best. Some people say short stroke is the best. The reality is, there’s a time, place and best application for both long and short stroke polishers. In this class you learn the differences in both types and the benefits for both types plus finally figure out which type is best for you. If you’re just starting out – choosing the wrong tool wastes not only time, but money in the added costs of pads and products. Generally speaking, while there is something to be said that the more you spend the faster you can detail, there is also something to be said for a low cost tool that can get the job done and get the job done just as well and just as fast. Come to this class to find out.

10:00am to 10:50am

3: Free Spinning Orbital Polishers vs Gear-Driven Orbital Polishers – Differences & Benefits

In this class you will learn the MOST IMPORTANT DIFFERENCE between ANY free spinning polisher versus ANY gear-driven polisher. The difference equals time and time equals money. You will also learn which tool is better for finishing softer, finicky paints and which tool is best suited for doing the grunt work. PLUS, learn the 2 types of HUMAN ENERGY required to use a free spinning orbital polish while the gear driven only requires 1 type of HUMAN ENERGY. This difference is never considered or shared anywhere in the detailing world and it makes a HUGE difference on YOU as well as the overall time you invest into any paint correction work.

1:00pm to 1:50pm

4: Detailing Clay vs Detailing Clay Mitts, Towels & Pads – Differences & Benefits

Some people think clay mitts, towels and pads are the best way to remove above surface bonded contaminants like overspray paint and industrial fallout. Some people think they are the fastest way to mechanically decontaminate paint. But that’s not always true. Detailing clay was introduced to the U.S. market in the early 1990s and it’s still just as an effective and important tool in your detailing arsenal today as it was 30 years ago. In this class you will learn when detailing clay is the best choice and when clay substitutes are the best choice. You will also learn time and money saving techniques to use with each option. The final end-results always START with a great foundation to build upon. Learn why to never skip the mechanical decontamination step and the fundamental law of car detailing – gloss comes from a smooth surface.

2:00pm to 2:50pm

5: How to chemically strip paint and install a ceramic paint coating PLUS how to properly wash a ceramic coated vehicle.

There is a LOT of confusing on the correct way to chemically strip urethane clearcoats and even urethan single stage paints. There’s even more confusion on how to correctly install a ceramic paint coating. This class will not only clear-up all the confusion, but it will also take all the mystery out of the process. You will learn how simple the coating process should be so you can decrease wasted time, work faster and at the end of the day, make higher profits per hour. You will also learn the secret to avoiding mistakes to get it right the first time. PLUS – the MOST IMPORANT tool you need no matter what brand of coating you install.

This class will also show you the bubba-proof, common sense way to wash a ceramic coated car using a simple process that you can share with all your customers to protect and preserve your hard work while educating your customer so they don’t put swirls and scratches back into their freshly coated car. Keep your customers happy while protecting your reputation and professional business image.

How to correctly chemically strip paint and then install a ceramic paint coating

How to correctly wash a car with a ceramic paint coating

3:00pm to 3:50pm

6: One-Step AIOs vs Paint Correction & Ceramic Coatings – Differences & Benefits

Coatings, coatings coatings!!! Everyone is talking coatings. The rage is all coatings! BUT – if you own a detailing business or are starting a detailing business you MUST offer multiple detailing packages to match your different types of customers and their different types of cars. And ONE of those packages needs to include a great AIO package. In this class you will learn when to sell a coating package and when to sell an AIO package. You will also learn the most IMPORTANT question to ask and the FIRST question to ask any potential customer. Their answer will tell you which package is right for them. Matching the right package to each customer is key to decreasing wasted time and maximizing profits. And it’s as simple as asking the right first question.

1-Step Process versus 4-Step Process

(This doesn't include the normal prep wash steps of washing, drying, claying the car)

4:00pm to 4:50pm
    7: Tire Coatings vs Tire Dressings – Differences & Benefits

Tire Coatings are just as cool as paint coatings and paint coatings, they last longer too. With a tire coating, you no longer have the problems of tire dressing sling. The key is to know when to use a tire coating and when to stick with a tire dressing. In this class you will learn the difference between tire coatings and tire dressings. You will also see LIVE how to prep and install a tire coating. The prep process is key, and the results will blow you and your customers away! You will also learn how to determine which customers and tires are a good match for a tire coating. Most important, you will learn how to educate your customer as to what a tire coating is and then how to correctly maintain the tire coating for maximum longevity and that deep dark black look everyone loves. Besides all of this, you will also learn how to avoid making any mistakes that can be time-killers and how to ensure your success for happy customers. Use tire coatings as an add-on to any detailing package to increase the profitability of any detail job.

Tire Coatings

TIRES MUST BE PERFECTLY CLEAN

DRY TO THE TOUCH - NO SLING

Tire Dressings

MACHINE SCRUBBING for perfectly clean tires.

MACHINE APPLICATION of the tire dressing - works the dressing INTO the rubber.

PERFECT FINISH - NO SLING

Friday, January 31st, 2020

8:00am to 8:50am

8: How to become the recognized detailing expert in your hometown.

Make more money, get more referrals and fill your schedule with cool cars and new cars. In this class I will show you the simple technique I used to break into the cool car detailing world and get more customers via word-of-mouth advertising. Besides sharing the secret to my detailing success, just as important – I share with you the absolute wrong approach that most people try… and then fail at never knowing why. Knowing WHAT to do is just as important as knowing what NOT to do and you will learn this in this incredibly popular class.

All new topics. Lots of new tools, pads and products.

LIVE DEMONSTRATION in CLASS

See you there!

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Thomkirby, Aaryn NZ, axel06 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: 2020 Mobile Tech Expo Class Schedule for Education Day on Thursday in Orlando, Florida

More....

Location for 2020

Rosen Shingle Creek
    9939 Universal Blvd.
    Orlando, Florida 32819

Reservations: 844-239-3649

See you there!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Mobile Tech Expo Class Schedule for Education Day on Thursday in Orlando, Florida

Thanks for the reminder Mike! I will be in several of your classes.

Mike Phillips

We're a little over 1 weeks away from MTE

Clear your schedule and be there.

Post Thanks / Like

... Ahh doh.

I kinda knew I shouldn’t have clicked on this one let alone read the description on every class. We planned & actually changed our travel plans to attend MTE before they went & changed the dates. I was a little disappointed then but accepted the fact we simply couldn’t afford to stay on for an extra two weeks ....

Now after reading through this post I’m gutted they changed the dates.

That’s a super stacked line up of classes Mike. So much information there, even for seasoned pros there will be so much to learn from these but just imagine being a newbie to the detailing game & having the opportunity to get to these .... mind blowing!

Have fun up there Mike.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    ... Ahh doh.

I kinda knew I shouldn’t have clicked on this one let alone read the description on every class. We planned & actually changed our travel plans to attend MTE before they went & changed the dates. I was a little disappointed then but accepted the fact we simply couldn’t afford to stay on for an extra two weeks ....

Now after reading through this post I’m gutted they changed the dates.

That’s a super stacked line up of classes Mike. So much information there, even for seasoned pros there will be so much to learn from these but just imagine being a newbie to the detailing game & having the opportunity to get to these .... mind blowing!

Have fun up there Mike.

Aaryn NZ.

Thanks Aaryn,

Today I'm removing the graphics off the Bayliner Hull. Hopefully tomorrow I'm machine scrubbing the tires.

And after knocking out 2 new newsletters I dive back into working on 8 Power Point Presentations.

The prep work for MTE behind the scenes is overwhelming - each year. This is my 10 year of teaching classes at MTE.

Mike Phillips

Update

Here's a couple of short videos on my Facebook page.

>Click< on the image to watch the video

Here's before....

Gel-coat boat BEFORE

Here's the AFTER results....

Gel-Coat Ceramic Coating AFTER

9. Likes axel06 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued...

Today I machine scrubbed the tire I'll be showing how to install a tire coating to as well as how to machine apply a tire dressing.

Shout out to Robert DiTralizzi to say thank you for letting me use his facilities to wash and machine scrub the tire.

Machine scrubbing - Important to use a CORDLESS tool so you don't get SHOCKED!

Whenever I post pictures of this brush attached to my Cordless FLEX PE14 everyone asks me where to get it?

I'm especially asked this question when I share pictures like these on Facebook.

I work at Autogeek. So guess where I get the brush?

Question: Do I have to machine scrub tires in order to use a tire coating?

Answer: No - But most people I know do NOT have the arm strength to properly scrub a tire sidewall by HAND to remove this level of grime.

Robert - you we're standing crooked when you took this picture... or the Earth tilted

Question: How many times to you have to machine scrub the tire?

Answer: Until you see white foam on the tires sidewall.

I tend to machine scrub a single tire 4-5 times. I want to make damn sure that rubber surface is CLEAN.

Then rinse well....

And this is key - You must also rinse your brush! IF you don't you'll never see white foam. The reason why is because your brush will be full of brown scum and this will contaminate the process.

4th time machine scrubbing - see the foam on the tire? It's now white.

Machine Brush Rinsing

I run the brush against the pavement while spraying water into the bristles. Genius. I let the Cordless FLEX PE14 do the cleaning work. I just pull the trigger.

Mike's tip: Use a slow speed.

Here's the fifth time I machine scrubbed the tires sidewall. The tire cleaner turns white and stays white.

I do NOT have OCD

I'm telling you straight-up, despite what you may think about me or other detailers, I do NOT have OCD - because I'm going to be "handling" these tires I went ahead and machine scrubbed the tire face just to keep my hands clean when moving the tire around for my Tire Coating Class at MTE.

Back to Autogeek's Show Car Garage

Here's the tire. Before placing it on the table I laid down some Autogeek Cover-up Towels to keep everything surgically clean. (I also wiped the table down with APC, I am OCD about clean tables)

Close-ups of clean rubber.

This tire is off a race car and has some battle scars to show it.

3 Sections

1. Tire Coating
    2. Tire Dressing
    3. Naked rubber

Here's how the rubber or if you will, here' show the TIRE looks after applying a coating, a tire dressing and leaving a section without anything on it.

The super black shiny section you see is the Pinnacle Black Label Tire Clear Coat AND it's DRY to the TOUCH.

I tested the Pinnacle Black Label Tire Clear Coat and the 303 Protectant on the back side of the tire. In my class at Mobile Tech Expo I'll show the techniques for doing this on the front side of the tire.

11. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

We are now 3 days away from "Education Day"

My first class starts at 8:00am - it's the boat detailing class.

1. Machine sanding
    2. Rotary buffers for gel-coat correction
    3. Orbital polishers to remove holograms
    4. Chemically stripping gel-coat
    5. Installing a gel-coat ceramic coating

The first time this has ever been taught at Mobile Tech Expo and the first time it's been taught outside my boat detailing class.

Please don't be late. Don't stay out all night on Wednesday. Get up early, there will be a long line for Starbucks Coffee so that's not an excuse.

Mike Phillips

I'm just finishing my power point presentations for MTE. I normally put a lot of work into these but these year I've simply ran out of time.

Besides that, I bringing lots of hands-on props to "show-n-tell" in the class instead of making everyone look at a wall.

If you're a member of this forum and you attend any of my classes, please be sure to take a moment to introduce yourself and say hello.

I tend to stay very busy answering questions after my classes and in-between classes, but don't be shy, just walk up, interrupt and say "hi".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast