autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Please Help Me With A Long Term Protection Plan For My New Truck.

I am getting a new truck that will live outside in the miserable South Florida sun, rains and waterspotting. I will keep it for years, and i want to decide on a paint protection plan using UV blocking product that I can recoat simply or top after washes. My son has the pro-detailing setup for his Shelby, so I can perform all the right prep for any base protection.. So, my question is.. What category of products would you recommend for the long term ? So many new products/layers/stackings/hybrids to choose from.

The truck will be a single stage White.

Waxes: I have been Mr. Collinite for the last five years or so.. I'm kinda over the 2 square feet at a time. Any 6 month waxes with great UV protection ? With a topper ?

Sealants: Any good UV rated sealants I can simply wash & recoat every 6 months, or maintain with a topper between ?

Coatings: Is there a UV coating that does not need compounding off between coats ? I'll never grind down a big, long truck every year and a half.. Are Hybrid sprays
    good for years of use as protection ? (Because nobody will ever see it.. I may go with coats of ceramic on the roof.)

Wait for Graphene ? Hahahahaha !

Thank you for your thoughts and recommending some options !!
    Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please Help Me With A Long Term Protection Plan For My New Truck.

I have 2 White vehicles. I have tried different products being a detailing addict, but Finish-Kare 1000p seems to give it a glassy look that other products don't. And the durability is awesome. You can put it on the whole car, but just put it on THIN and it comes off easy. I think it will provide you with what you are looking for.

As far as a topper, I have used McKee's37 Extender was, Bead Maker, and Blackbird Crystal Seal. All 3 of them do a good job.

Post Thanks / Like

All coatings will have to be polished off before applying a new coat and the only one with UV protection I can think of is Opti-Coat. I don’t even know if it really has enough UV inhibitor to make a difference in the Florida sun. Truthfully the most vehicles with sun damage look as if they have never seen a coat of anything in their lifetime.

I would just use something like my favorite spray on sealant (IGL Premier) that gives almost 6 months of real protection, wash the truck at least very two weeks, and use one of the many SIO2 sprays as a drying aid after washing and enjoy the Florida sun.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I do know some products make the white paint pop more..

I won't mind doing a full detail twice a year. Strip off the sealer and recoat clean paint.. like in April, and then again in October.

Any other thoughts ?
    Marc

Post Thanks / Like

A Ceramic Coating would be your best bet for long-term protection. Since your new truck will be single stage white, I would keep it simple and just use the Blackfire One Step and top it with the new Blackfire BlackICE Hybrid Liquid Wax. I would do this every 6 months to keep the paint surface looking great and protected. You can maintain the truck with Blackfire Carnauba Spray Wax or Blackfire SiO2 Spray Sealant.

BLACKFIRE One Step, BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal, polish and wax, cleaner wax, car polish
    BLACKFIRE BlackICE Hybrid Liquid Wax
    BLACKFIRE Carnauba Spray Wax,BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Spray Wax, spray car wax, aerosol wax
    BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Bobby !
    So I can just clean the surface well, and reapply the One-Step ?
    Which maintenance spray will sheet water the best ? I hate water spots !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Native2FL View Post
    Thank you, Bobby !
    So I can just clean the surface well, and reapply the One-Step ?
    Which maintenance spray will sheet water the best ? I hate water spots !!
    Yes, but I would recommend claying the paint surface and using an iron remover before the Blackfire One Step and BlackICE Hybrid Liquid Wax.

The Blackfire SiO2 Spray Sealant will sheet the water the best. We all hate water spots!

Speed Master Clay Towel Combo
    BLACKFIRE Iron Remover

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Native2FL View Post

The truck will be a single stage White.
    is this a brand new truck or new to you?

Post Thanks / Like

It will be a new Ford F-150.
    I will try to get it delivered without being prepped.I do plan to de-iron and clay first, and get off the car wash Hybrid sealant the dealers are using now.
    The roof and the front clip take the beating from the sun and dew/rain.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it really a single stage paint or do you mean it's a solid white base coat/clearcoat paint?

In your case for the longest durability from it and the highest protection. I would look at a combo of a ceramic coating and a top coat. If you want to go with something that just works and are tried. Look up Carpro CQUK and Gliss combo. Why I suggest you to apply a top coat is that it reduce the risk of water spots. Now there are a difference between water spots and water spots LOL. If you just get rain water or dew on a slightly to really dirty car some call them water spots. In some way they are but the difference is that the beading water push together the dirt to look as water spots. They washes off real easy though. The worst water spots is when you get hard water aka high concentration of minerals in the water that can etch your paint if you are unlucky. So stay away from sprinklers and driving through the run off from these. As they usually gets a higher concentration if they use recycled water with them. Then you have some puplic parking garages where when it rains some have rain run off channels inside of them which can leak or if the wind takes the rain inside of them when it's windy outside. These is very corrosive if drying on the paint. And when you wash your truck and prefered to do this in a cloudy day or in the shade or out of the sun really. If you apply a coating or sealant it's a good thing to have a bottle of a water spot remover at home. So if you where to get some bad ones and you notice them in time you can use the water spot remover while them are fresh. If you get some after a wash or where to drive through sprinklers. A good waterless wash is quite effective to desolve these. It's something with the water softening properties in them that's a benefit to desolve fresh water spots. So have a kit with a bottle of waterless wash and towels laying in the truck can be very usefull if you would get in trouble. Some QDs and spray waxes is also slightly acidic on the ph level and cause of that gets effective to desolve water spots.

Most more longer lasting LSP as coatings and sealants get you some extra UV protection. If you maintain your truck and have the LSP to not loose to much of it's performance from it. It will be enough to protect your paint from the UV rays. Also in the longrun it's much about that you use a great and gentle washing and drying technique. So when you polishing you don't need to be shaving of so much of the clearcoat. That's also if you thoroughly dial in the least aggressive combo when you polishing so you abrade as little of the clearcoat as possible. Cause it's in the top parts of the clearcoat where you have the highest UV resistance. So if you would get some deeper defects on the paint you may leave some of them so you save the clearcoat you have as much as possible.

If you want to get a budget friendly and easy to use line of products. Take a look at the new Turtle Wax Hybrid Solution line of products. When you have deconed and clayed you can do a polishing with the Hybrid Solution Ceramic Polish and Wax. Let it cure for 24 hours and then you apply the TW HS Ceramic Spray Coating over it. Then you have some options to maintain your LSP with. TW HS Ceramic Wet Wax which is a drying aid or the Wash and Wax which is giving you some top up of your protection while you wash or if you want to use the TW HS Ceramic 3in1 detailer to do a wipe down with after a wash or do a WW if it's not to dirty. It's an easy way to just use one line of products. And if it's a product that you don't like you can switch to another one that you would get better results from. But as a start and you don't need to be buying them all. The polish and the spray coating and one of the maintance products that suits you. There is a little hype about these Turtle Wax Hybrid Solution products now. But that's cause they have upped their game with their TW ICE line and now released a claimed to be better line the Hybrid Solution. You can do these kits with any brand that has protection products mostly. Say Carpro as I mentioned before. Carpro Essence to polishing with and lays a primer for the CQUK 3.0 and then the top coating Gliss. Then get you the awesome Carpro Reset car soap that leaves nothing behind as in protection and glossenhancers with a lot of lubrication and cleaning ability from it. Carpro EcH2O is a concentrated waterless wash that you dilute to many kind of products. As a WW or RW or QD/drying aid that works in synergy to maintain your coating. I think that it's easier to pick a brand and go with their basic products that you need. And then try out down the road other products that might work better in your own environments and to your needs and what you want out of a product. Most brands on AGO you can chose which you want and get good to great to awesome results from them.

Hybrid Solutions

Do you have a polisher?

/ Tony

11. Likes tomsteve liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast