autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramiclear clearcoat

So I have worked on a 2016 Mercedes Maybach and had an extremely tough time correcting the black paint. Then I heard about this specialized clear that Mercedes use. What would be a good product for this type of clear?it seems as though I can’t even cut it at all!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramiclear clearcoat

Think Menzerna developed the polishes for the MB manufacturing plants. So the SHC300 and HC400 is the compounds. Then you have MC2400 which is made for the scratch resistant ceramic clearcoats. And the finishing polish SF3500.

Mike Phillips

I've NEVER found the PPG Ceramiclear paints to be hard. Nor soft.

They are right in the middle, the sweet spot for paint polishing.

And I've owned 2 Mercedes-Benz cars that had this specialized paint. I've corrected both with fine cut polishes and medium cut polishes.

What are you using for tool and pad?

Mike Phillips

For everyone reading this into the future, start by reading this,

Ceramiclear Paints - Be Careful

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I've NEVER found the PPG Ceramiclear paints to be hard. Nor soft.

They are right in the middle, the sweet spot for paint polishing.

And I've owned 2 Mercedes-Benz cars that had this specialized paint. I've corrected both with fine cut polishes and medium cut polishes.

What are you using for tool and pad?

Thanks for the input Mike! I used Sonax Cutmax along with a Meguiars red pad. I even used a lot of pressure at some points and it was like I wasnt even cutting. I tried M110 as well with the same results.

Post Thanks / Like

Ceramiclear clearcoat

My neighbor, who has many years working in the paint and auto body industry told me that when it comes to Ceramiclear, the only panels that contain it are parts such as the bumpers, body kits, basically those bits on a Mercedes that aren’t metal painted body panels. The way he explained it made complete sense... I can’t recall what he said word for word, but when he was done explaining it it really wouldn’t make sense for them to use Ceramiclear on the entire vehicle.

Btw he’s good... I asked him if he could explain the paint on my hood, and why it doesn’t shine like the fenders and the other body panels. I told him I’ve seen the same thing on other vehicles too... Well it took him all of about 10 seconds to tell me that the front end on my Cadillac had been re painted at some point, probably due to a minor accident... He said whoever paid for it paid in full because for what it is they did a pretty good job. Yea the hood doesn’t quite shine the same as the other panels, but besides that they did about as good a match as a body shop can do, but he easily saw the tell tale signs.

It also explains why my bumper appears to be in absolute immaculate condition for being 19yrs old... Oh and I’ve got 1 headlight that looks brand new, while the other isn’t quite brand new looking. It all makes sense now.Ceramiclear clearcoat

Post Thanks / Like

I hope things work out. I use Menzerna FG400 and Superfinish 3800 on MB's. I use an orange pad from Lake Country for the FG400 and a white Lake Country Pad for the 3800. I use a Flex 3401.

I hope this helps
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by prin View Post

Thanks for the input Mike! I used Sonax Cutmax along with a Meguiars red pad. I even used a lot of pressure at some points and it was like I wasnt even cutting. I tried M110 as well with the same results.

What tool?

Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3410 and any typical Meguiars compound has always worked for me on Mercedes paints. Might require some more pressure on the machine but all in a day's work.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

My neighbor, who has many years working in the paint and auto body industry told me that when it comes to Ceramiclear, the only panels that contain it are parts such as the bumpers, body kits, basically those bits on a Mercedes that aren’t metal painted body panels.

Yeah with all due respect - I don't buy it.

I've researched it and this is an specialty paint that IS sprayed over the entire car.

In fact, upon my recommendation, one of my regular customers ordered an SL 550 and paid extra for the Cermaiclear option.

Somewhere on this forum, is my write-up for when I coated it after he took delivery. I have write-ups for at least 3 of his SL 550s. A red, black and brown colored versions. I think it was the brown colored SL 550.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast