autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Winterize without ceramic coating?

Hi,

I am struggling to find what is the best (from ease of application POV) product mix to prepare a car for the New England winters, that does not involve ceramic coating or adding anything at all to what I already have? I have the following sitting in my garage at the moment:
    1. Porter Cable 7424xp DA with a bunch of LC orange and green pads
    2. Sonax Polymer Net Shield
    3. Wolfgang Uber AIO concourse series
    4. Mothers carnauba cleaner wax
    5. Mothers spray wax
    6. Pinnacle Souveran liquid spray wax
    7. Pinnacle XMT fine swirl remover
    8. Pinnacle XMT carnauba finishing glaze
    9. Meguiars 105 ultra cut compound
    10. Meguiars 26 yellow wax
    11. Zaino AIO
    12. Zaino Z5
    13. Bunch of clay bars
    14. Tons of microfiber towels

As you can see, I am struggling to find a method to this madness.

If my goal is to protect my car for 3 to 6 months (covers the New England winters), what are my options here? With and without using the Porter Cable?

Cheers,
    Amitoj

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winterize without ceramic coating?

Not adding anything, I'd say the Sonax PNS would be the way to go. Not sure of the condition of your paint? The most important thing I feel will be good protection to hold you over till spring.

As for things you don't seem to have, you seem to have a lack of Pads for the PC.

Another thing that will be good to have is a good trim and rubber protectant. Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant is a very good one, a little goes a long way, offers very good protection without going into ceramic trim coatings.
    Also superb on all rubber weather stripping.

The areas that take a beating, and are often neglected are a complete clean up and detail-protection of the doors, especially the bottoms, door jambs, trunk and under hood areas. Get those areas up to snuff with protection, lubing hinges, treating rubber weatherstrip.

Last but not least, insure trunk is in order, tires and spare filled with air, good wiper blades, and of course a good soft snow brush and ice scraper.

3. Thanks amitoj thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Not adding anything, I'd say the Sonax PNS would be the way to go. Not sure of the condition of your paint? The most important thing I feel will be good protection to hold you over till spring.

As for things you don't seem to have, you seem to have a lack of Pads for the PC.

Another thing that will be good to have is a good trim and rubber protectant. Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant is a very good one, a little goes a long way, offers very good protection without going into ceramic trim coatings.
    Also superb on all rubber weather stripping.

The areas that take a beating, and are often neglected are a complete clean up and detail-protection of the doors, especially the bottoms, door jambs, trunk and under hood areas. Get those areas up to snuff with protection, lubing hinges, treating rubber weatherstrip.

Last but not least, insure trunk is in order, tires and spare filled with air, good wiper blades, and of course a good soft snow brush and ice scraper.
    Thanks, Mark.

There are bug splatters and minor swirl marks on the car. It has rarely been to a car wash but has been through a couple of "free" dealer washes during service *shudder*. It is usually parked in a garage. My idea is to restore shine, which I think a good claying session will do and apply cleaner wax to it. The PNS is a new addition and I have not used it yet. Can this go on top of the wax? Or should I apply it directly on the paint after claying? But then cleaner wax on top of it would negate the PNS. Would clay->PNS-> Souveran Spray wax be enough?

What if I want to go a step further and reduce swirl marks too?

Post Thanks / Like

You’ve got a great selection of products to protect and maintain the vehicle for 3-6 months. Assuming you’ve got car soap I’d go with a wash/clay/quick polish/seal and from there maintain when possible.
    Wash-whatever’s available, be sure to clean your door, hood and trunk jambs.
    Clay-with whatever clay you have and use the soap from wash bucket or maybe your mothers spray wax for lube.
    Quick polish-using the green pads and PXMT fine swirl remover I’d just go over an area a couple passes maybe 2 up 2 down criss cross pattern just to clean up the surface and not worry about major correction
    Seal-sonax pns
    Maintain-with either Souverän spray wax or maybe zaino z5 if that’s a spray wax/sealant
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

6. Thanks amitoj thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I was not sure where in the process, the SPNS will fit it. I recently got it and have not had a chance to use it. I have always used Carnauba wax as the final step.

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    You’ve got a great selection of products to protect and maintain the vehicle for 3-6 months. Assuming you’ve got car soap I’d go with a wash/clay/quick polish/seal and from there maintain when possible.
    Wash-whatever’s available, be sure to clean your door, hood and trunk jambs.
    Clay-with whatever clay you have and use the soap from wash bucket or maybe your mothers spray wax for lube.
    Quick polish-using the green pads and PXMT fine swirl remover I’d just go over an area a couple passes maybe 2 up 2 down criss cross pattern just to clean up the surface and not worry about major correction
    Seal-sonax pns
    Maintain-with either Souverän spray wax or maybe zaino z5 if that’s a spray wax/sealant
    This is helpful! Zaino Z5 is a polish, but I have not used it in a while.
    I forgot to mention that I also have Optimum No Rinse solution. So, that should take care of washing step.

Post Thanks / Like

PNS #1 choice and my #2 in that list is Megs 26
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

9. Thanks amitoj thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
    Thanks! I was not sure where in the process, the SPNS will fit it. I recently got it and have not had a chance to use it. I have always used Carnauba wax as the final step.

This is helpful! Zaino Z5 is a polish, but I have not used it in a while.
    I forgot to mention that I also have Optimum No Rinse solution. So, that should take care of washing step.
    It is Mike Phillips, our forum master and host who has made the claim the PNS is the closest thing to a ceramic coating.

11. Thanks amitoj thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It is Mike Phillips, our forum master and host who has made the claim the PNS is the closest thing to a ceramic coating.
    Yes, that's why I got it He also mentioned in his Blackfire One Step Cleaner Wax review that he usually puts SPNS on top of it. So, I guess it is ok to put SPNS on top of Mothers Cleaner Wax or Uber AIO that I have?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
    Yes, that's why I got it He also mentioned in his Blackfire One Step Cleaner Wax review that he usually puts SPNS on top of it. So, I guess it is ok to put SPNS on top of Mothers Cleaner Wax or Uber AIO that I have?
    It should be fine to top PNS on one of the AIOs, preferably whichever lasts longer, my guess being Wolfgang.

14. Thanks amitoj thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent.
    For many years, I was a simple "wax on wax off" kinda guy. And then I stumbled across this forum and started collecting detailing items.
    Now I am trying to make sense of all the assorted detailing stuff I have accumulated.

16. Likes Jayfro, acuRAS82 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast