autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: What pads to buy for Griots G9?

I'd also add this,

This new G9 has enough power to turn, churn and burn any size pad. It really does have a lot of power.

I covered the topic of pads in my review in-depth...

Review: Griot's G9 - 9mm Orbit Stroke Random Orbital Polisher by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

I used this tool in its factory configuration, that is with the factory installed 6" backing plate. I know most of you that have been reading my articles or have attended any of my classes know I show and recommend 5" backing plates for tools like this. Two reasons for this are,

1: With a 5" backing plate you can use 5.5" diameter buffing pads and simply put, smaller diameter pads tend to fit thinner body panels on modern cars better. That is you can buff out a section of a panel that has an edge on one side and a raised body line on the other side so you're never buffing on top of the edge or the body line. (good best practice)

2: Smaller, thin pads are easier for tools to maintain pad rotation. While this has been an issue historically, this isn't a problem with the new Griot's G9 - like I mentioned above, it has a TON of power.

And I wrote this and shared the pictures of the NUMBER of pads I used ON PURPOSE (I do this in ALL my write-ups). I count 8 of the orange pads and there's only 1 of the very aggressive white pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Pads, Products & Tools
    I try to always take a picture of all the pads I use when I buff out a car. Why? Because most people don't know how many pads they need and I would day from about 32 years of experience, most people don't have enough pads to buff out a car. So when purchasing a Griot's G9 polisher, be sure to get plenty of pads.

2. Thanks Reuben Brumby thanked for this post
    Likes Reuben Brumby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

And I'm going to add one more thing....

Thicker pads feel better on most tools as far as the "buffing experience" goes, that is holding the tool and moving it over a body panel.

I've only used the THIN BOSS pads on this tool so far. Tonight, I'll test out the thicker Griot's pads and see how they feel.

These pads here,

Griots Garage Random Orbital Buffing Pad Guide

I'm also switching my personal G9 over to the NEW Griot's G9 5" backing plate so I can turn and churn the 5.5" foam pads.

I'm fairly confident the G9 will no problem with these thicker foam pads. If you can wait until tomorrow I'll let you know.

Test out the NEW FLEX and Griot's Polishers this Thursday Night!

4. Thanks Reuben Brumby thanked for this post
    Likes Reuben Brumby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben Brumby View Post
    The reviews were on the Griots website!
    Without trekking over to their site to dig through reviews, I can tell you you’ve got a big advantage on your side already - You’re on this forum polling many detailing experts/enthusiasts for their experience and advice. Thus, you’re finding out early the keys to pad life (regardless of brand)

I’m a long time Griot’s fan, starting off with their stuff as a catalog customer. One thing I don’t think they relay well enough is the number of pads you need to do a job. I certainly wasn’t aware of it until I joined here.

I’d be willing to bet most of the pad failures people are complaint about is either the pads going concave in the center or the backing material separating from the pad. Both of these are generally caused by running the pad too long and at too high a speed. The pads get saturated with product, increasing their weight and reducing their effectiveness. This generates a lot of heat in the pad, causing it to break down.

You’re gonna love the G9! I’ve only run mine a little bit for a test panel, but it’s a sweet machine. I run the BOSS pads on mine, but I do have some of their standard pads in both the 5.5 and 6.5 inch sizes.

If you get the 5” backing plate, make sure to get the new Black 5” plate- it’s had revisions for cooling to match well with the G9.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for chiming in. I will wait for your analysis! Thanks again for coming to Chicago!

Post Thanks / Like

My 5" backing plate should be arriving tomorrow!

Mike Phillips

What pads to buy for Griots G9?

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben Brumby View Post
    Thanks for chiming in. I will wait for your analysis! Thanks again for coming to Chicago!

Now I recognize your name - you attended the Wax Shop Classs!

We used the Griot's 5.5" pads tonight on the 5" backing plate and they worked GREAT!

Also, everything that tested out the G9 loved it.

BF One Step now available in 16 ounce bottle.

9. Likes Reuben Brumby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Now I recognize your name - you attended the Wax Shop Classs!

We used the Griot's 5.5" pads tonight on the 5" backing plate and they worked GREAT!

Also, everything that tested out the G9 loved it.

BF One Step now available in 16 ounce bottle.

Awesome thanks a ton! I was also thinking about what would happen if I used Blackfire one step with a Griots microfiber cutting pad on swirled paint? Would it cut enough but not finish well?

Or should I use the Wax Shop heavy cut compound with Griots cutting mf and finish with Wax shop finishing polish and Griots mf finish pad, or Griots regular black finishing pad?

Vehicle in question is a 2014 black vw with clay marring and light to medium swirling.

Post Thanks / Like

Test spot. that's the best way to know what combo leaves you most satisfied.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12