autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Ceramic Coat

Boggsy, Here is another good Video from Corey, from "Sky's The Limit". His Business. Here he applies the CQuartz Coating.

Corey as I understand it, is the main USA Distributor for Carpro Products. Also, there is a Carpro Forum online for your information. I am a member there as well.

This might not be very clearly seen in his Video, but trust there is virtually no lag time between the time he applies this Coating, and then wipes to level the Coating.

That pretty much as soon as he has the Panel treated with the Coating application, he's then coming behind almost immediately to wipe smooth and level the finish.

YouTube

2. Likes boggsy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't read the entire thread but will suggest CarPro Cquartz UK v3.0 It's as close to fool-proof easy as a coating can get. If you're talented enough to get this far, you'll have no issues with it.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

4. Likes dman68, boggsy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip of 30 seconds Goonie75 :-D

Mark thanks also for the masking off portions and dividing the ares by 20 inches and of course the Video. I love watching videos with detailed how to's :-D Will watch it after work later :-D

TTQB4U Thanks for the CarPro Cquartz UK v3.0 but sadly I already spent money and ordered A Mr. Fix 9H. I hope it works when it arrives.

Mike I'm hoping the Ceramic Mr. Fix 9H has instructions. I ordered it online before I got into this forum with you guys. Im trying to contact the seller if they're selling a product that can strip the car of chemicals. So fingers crossed if it arrives. :-D

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys, I'm gonna finish reading the threads mike gave me first before applying anything.

But one quick question. My Car is color Black. My avatar picture . It has some little fine scratches on it. Like a bag scratch. Before I used to buy a Turtle wax Color Magic (Color Black) and it covers the white scratch and blends with the black color.

But now that I have to oil clean everything before applying the ceramic, how do I touch up the little white scratch :-D

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys, I'm gonna finish reading the threads mike gave me first before applying anything.

But one quick question. My Car is color Black. My avatar picture . It has some little fine scratches on it. Like a bag scratch. Before I used to buy a Turtle wax Color Magic (Color Black) and it covers the white scratch and blends with the black color.

But now that I have to oil clean everything before applying the ceramic, how do I touch up the little white scratch :-D

MarkD51 Can i ask, On the video hes using a small towel on the applicator and says you need to turn it around after a while. How do i know when to turn it around? When the ceramic builds up on it? Can I use it on half of my SUV before turning it around?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boggsy View Post

MarkD51 Can i ask, On the video hes using a small towel on the applicator and says you need to turn it around after a while. How do i know when to turn it around? When the ceramic builds up on it? Can I use it on half of my SUV before turning it around?
    Probably could polish it out maybe. Dont know how deep it is. If you can feel it it may be too deep. Some folks wet it damp sand the isolated scratches.

As far as panel wipe, I use CarPro Eraser. Some use mineral spirits... others IPA... the idea is to get the cleanest surface for the science to bond to.

Scotch tape... try to get it to stick to a wall you just out lotion on... or a lotion-free wall that is clean... dry... not gooey etc... it will stick better

Similar with products you want to stay and last longer... IMO it's the same for wheels, tires, inside, out, the cleaner the better the product will adhere and last...

I fold mf into 8ths. Every panel or so I flip and rotate ...

Hope this helps. Good luck

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

9. Likes boggsy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll try answering your questions in this post as best as possible.

As others have mentioned, if the fine scratches aren't too deep, that a fingernail doesn't easily catch in the scratch, you can find some over the counter polish products that may enable you to carefully hand polish out such damage if you don't have a Dual Action Polisher.

Such products could be Meguiars Scratch-X, or 3M's Scratch kit that comes with a small Trizact 3000 grit Polishing Pad, and some polishing compound, and I'm sure there are many others to be found.

Carpro Eraser is a good paint prep product and would assume that if it works well prior to coating a Vehicle with their CQuartz Coating, it should work well for others.

A cheaper way out, which there are some here that use such, is they concoct a panel prep solution with 70% Isopropyl Alcohol (from ay pharmacy), and Distilled Water. I think the goal is to achieve a 15% final dilution solution, and then use to spray upon a panel and then wipe. I'm guessing this would probably be roughly 1 part Alcohol, and 3 parts Distilled Water, this should get you prety close to that dilution mix.

Corey perhaps doesn't explain the reasons why he's then flipping that little 4"x4" Suede Microfiber Sheet, but I'll share my experiences as to why.

Oddly enough, after washing, a decon with Iron-X, another Wash, Claying, and yet another wash, Polishing with D/A with Polishes, and then even the final Panel wipe, and doing all this work prior to applying a coating such as CQuartz, I have noticed that these litle MF Sheets will get dirty after applying the coating to a couple panels.

No doubt the reason he turns it over to the other side. Mist also be that they start looking a bit worn, but I do believe it is because of noticing dirts on the applicataor.

One would think after all that work, nothing would then come off the paint, but the carrier solvents in these coatings must be fairly aggressive to still yank even a bit more cruds off the paint as you go.

The Carpro Kits typically comes with 4 of these little Sheets, which should be enough for the average vehicle.

When both sides are looking a little tired and dirty, toss and grab another fresh one.

Those MF Suede Sheets can be bought here seperately. I'm not at all sure what will come with your Coating Kit?

Some Coatings, such as Pinnacle Black Label I believe can be used with just a regular Foam Applicator if my memory serves me correctly.

Hope this helps.

11. Likes boggsy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Goonie75

Thanks. Microfiber 8 folds. Also the IPA. As for the scratch, I hope it will lessen while i have it buffed :-D

13. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi MarkD51

yes i'm hoping polishing compound using a dual action polisher will lessen it. At least now I know if there's some little scratch left, I will have to live with it and coat it with the ceramic :-D

And For the Grocery Store Isopropyl Alcohol 70% mixed with Distilled Water, I will mix ( 1 part alcohol and 3 parts distilled) to get the 15% final dilution mix :-D I have lots of Grocery 70% Isopropyl Alcohol here and distilled water because of my 1st 8 month old baby girl

About the 4"x4" Suede Microfiber, Im sure when my Mr. Fix 9H arrives it wont have it, I will have to buy online for that. And from the dim looks of it, Our online shops here sell it and its from china. Im not sure if its the same quality as the carpro.

Im understanding now why these microfibers are so important. I'm afraid to buy the suede MF online cause there's no reviews. Its just says its for glasses.

I have attached pictures. Do you think this is ok? As long as there's no dirt it will not scratch the paint right? :-)How to Ceramic Coat-microfiber-2-jpgHow to Ceramic Coat-microfiber-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mark,

Yes the preparation. At least that part I understand . What do you use for the final prep to remove any-all traces of polishing oils? :-D

I also have read the first article. :

Installing a Ceramic Paint Coating? You MUST have a GREAT hand held light to avoid high spots!

1. Wait Time: Do different brands have different wait times?
    Is there a general rule on whats the safe wait time? Lets say 10 minutes? :-D

Thanks
    The wait time is typically on the directions from the manufacturer. What one has to remember is that the environment (temperature, humidity) will play a factor in the flash time. You will get how the coating is reacting to the environment after a panel or two.

You have received a lot of good information on how to prep the surface. I would recommend you at least chemically and mechanically decon the paint followed but at a minimum a polishing step. Proceed with a prep wipe and then apply the coating.

Hi MarkD51

yes i'm hoping polishing compound using a dual action polisher will lessen it. At least now I know if there's some little scratch left, I will have to live with it and coat it with the ceramic :-D

And For the Grocery Store Isopropyl Alcohol 70% mixed with Distilled Water, I will mix ( 1 part alcohol and 3 parts distilled) to get the 15% final dilution mix :-D I have lots of Grocery 70% Isopropyl Alcohol here and distilled water because of my 1st 8 month old baby girl

About the 4"x4" Suede Microfiber, Im sure when my Mr. Fix 9H arrives it wont have it, I will have to buy online for that. And from the dim looks of it, Our online shops here sell it and its from china. Im not sure if its the same quality as the carpro.

Im understanding now why these microfibers are so important. I'm afraid to buy the suede MF online cause there's no reviews. Its just says its for glasses.

I have attached pictures. Do you think this is ok? As long as there's no dirt it will not scratch the paint right? :-)How to Ceramic Coat-microfiber-2-jpgHow to Ceramic Coat-microfiber-jpg
    Mike has an article on IPA mixtures. Some even mix it 50/50 with water.

I would actually skip on the suede applicators and invest in the Autofiber microfiber coating saver applicators. They work much better than the suede block and applicator. You get many of them but you will find other ways to use them. If you must have a suede applicator, then the rag company butter soft suede's are much better in my experience.

I will also mention to get yourself some good towels for the coating process. The rag company edgeless 300's are a great towel for the job. Use one for the initial wipe and the second for the final wipe.

16. Likes boggsy liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast