autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Restoring or preserving clear coat

Hi everyone, first post on here but it seems like a good active community.

I just bought a 2001 Mazda MX-5. Most of the paint is is pretty good condition for its age (only generalized swirl marks), however there are two spots where the clear coat is peeling. One of those spots also has a bit of surface rust about the size of a dime. What are my options for restoring these areas? If a full respray is the only option, how much would this cost for a high quality job? Could i have only specific panels be repainted? And if nothing else, what can be done to prevent the peeling and rust from getting any worse?

Thanks!

Edit: Meant to attach these photos of the problem areas in question

Restoring or preserving clear coat-ccd95a80-26d4-4ee5-bc96-f61636c991b1-jpg Restoring or preserving clear coat-e4747471-e171-4e46-b048-1472cc023aeb-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Restoring or preserving clear coat

Welcome to AutoGeek. You just purchased an 18 year old run of the mill compact car. I would take it to a body shop to get a quote on only the small spots in question, do a quick polish and use a long lasting sealant. A full paint job not from MaaCo, will cost more than the value of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

How much are you willing to spend on getting those areas repaired?

4. Likes tomsteve liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    Welcome to AutoGeek. You just purchased an 18 year old run of the mill compact car. I would take it to a body shop to get a quote on only the small spots in question, do a quick polish and use a long lasting sealant. A full paint job not from MaaCo, will cost more than the value of the car.
    Well, there is a pretty big community of enthusiasts for this car in particular which is why I’m interested in keeping it in good shape. How effective will a body shop be at spot fixing something like this? From what I understand painting a car is an art form

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I came off a bit dic*ish. Not intended. A good body shop should absolutely be able to fix it. where are the spots located on the car?

7. Likes tomsteve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO!

If those are the only spots on the car, any good body shop should be able to correct them. They might need to do the whole panel, but not the whole car.

Just beware that the rest of the car may eventually suffer from the same CC failure. Especially the horizontal panels.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is a MX-5 Miata, not MX-3. I see the top in the pictures. I would take it to a reputable body shop and get it resprayed. Once they start peeling there is not much you can do.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oops, I meant MX-5 . But yeah i added a couple photos on my original post. I guess the best thing to do would be to talk to a body shop and see what they think. I am worried that even if i repair the current peeling areas, others will soon follow. Does anyone know of anything that can be done to protect the cc that is still in tact?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClevelandBaller View Post
    Oops, I meant MX-5 . But yeah i added a couple photos on my original post. I guess the best thing to do would be to talk to a body shop and see what they think. I am worried that even if i repair the current peeling areas, others will soon follow. Does anyone know of anything that can be done to protect the cc that is still in tact?

Coat it!!! Do a minimum prep to get the surface super clean and apply a ceramic coating.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the problem with Mazda's. Unfortunately even the newest ones have the thinnest paint / finish I've measured on any car and I measure every one I do. Good luck. As others have said, it's time for a re-spray.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast