autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tips on removing weird stains caused by"ceramic hybrid" finish?

Hello! Recently I tried out a new product (which I'm not going to name because I don't want to bash anyone's stuff if I was somehow at fault). It's one of those many new "wax/ceramic hybrid"-type finishes. I applied it exactly according to the bottle instructions and it seemed to go on OK. However, we had rain several days later and I found the paint covered in odd "water spots" like this:

Tips on removing weird stains caused by"ceramic hybrid" finish?-img_20190816_165203-jpg

They're stains, not like normal water spots with raised edges and all. Also, they DON'T want to come out. I experimented a little and found that the coating, when dripped directly onto the paint, made identical stains if it sat for any time at all, so I'm guessing that the stuff just didn't bond with the paint or somehow liquefied in the rain, then settled in small water spot puddles and stained everywhere it was gathered.

I've tried vinegar, water spot remover, tar & wax remover, alcohol, and exhortations to the heavens, but nothing seems able to remove these spots but a lot of hard polishing with compound. A LOT of polishing managed to get me this:

Tips on removing weird stains caused by"ceramic hybrid" finish?-img_20190816_173143-jpg

But there's still a heck of a lot of spots to remove. Does anyone have any tips or advice on better & easier ways to remove these stains? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tips on removing weird stains caused by"ceramic hybrid" finish?

Find a better coating. Most ceramic coatings are prone to spotting. In the case with CarPro's CQurartz UK3.0, topping with their Reload will help with the spotting.

You tried almost everything to remove the spotting short of re polishing. Can you contact the manufacture?

Post Thanks / Like

This is one that you spray on dry paint and wipe it off with a mf towel? Or is it a spray on rinse off product on wet paint?

The most common user errors with any kind of ceramic/SiO2 products is that you work in a to big of a section at the time or letting it to dwell for a too long time before you wipe it off or rinse it off very thoroughly. This is just to make a notice about it and if it's possible you could have been doing any of this.

Otherwise it's more to be water spots. You useally get these from tap water or well water with high concentration of minerals in it. Since you get higher and tighter beads the water of this kind acts like a magnifying glass and etch your paint. So do you have any sprinklers near where you have parked during this time? Or rinsed the paint with not being fast to dry the car after a wash or something like that? Can it be that you live in an environment where the earth or sand is full of minerals? These can in rare cases be coming down with the rain again.

Since you have tried different chemicals to desolve it. I think it's not general dirt that have dried in a spotting pattern cause of the beading. These are useally easier to washing off. Then as Rsurfer mentions some coating products is easier prone to leave water spots. And especially in the first week when even if it's not smearing or anything it's take some time to fully cure and also with some creat the best hydrophobic layer takes this time. As the use of a topper like Reload for cquartz coatings to have a sacrificial layer to let the coating cure fully under it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Find a better coating. Most ceramic coatings are prone to spotting. In the case with CarPro's CQurartz UK3.0, topping with their Reload will help with the spotting.

You tried almost everything to remove the spotting short of re polishing. Can you contact the manufacture?
    I could, but I doubt there's anything they can do. I've already searched their forums for people with similar problems and the usual response is, "Polish until the spots are gone." I was just hoping someone might have some idea of a way to get rid of these stains without destructive polishing (To remove the stains I literally have to polish until my polishing rag is green with car paint, and still the stains leave shadow marks behind).

As for the coating, I've just gone back to wax like I've always used, which works fine.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    This is one that you spray on dry paint and wipe it off with a mf towel? Or is it a spray on rinse off product on wet paint?

The most common user errors with any kind of ceramic/SiO2 products is that you work in a to big of a section at the time or letting it to dwell for a too long time before you wipe it off or rinse it off very thoroughly. This is just to make a notice about it and if it's possible you could have been doing any of this.

Otherwise it's more to be water spots. You useally get these from tap water or well water with high concentration of minerals in it. Since you get higher and tighter beads the water of this kind acts like a magnifying glass and etch your paint. So do you have any sprinklers near where you have parked during this time? Or rinsed the paint with not being fast to dry the car after a wash or something like that? Can it be that you live in an environment where the earth or sand is full of minerals? These can in rare cases be coming down with the rain again.

Since you have tried different chemicals to desolve it. I think it's not general dirt that have dried in a spotting pattern cause of the beading. These are useally easier to washing off. Then as Rsurfer mentions some coating products is easier prone to leave water spots. And especially in the first week when even if it's not smearing or anything it's take some time to fully cure and also with some creat the best hydrophobic layer takes this time. As the use of a topper like Reload for cquartz coatings to have a sacrificial layer to let the coating cure fully under it.
    It was a spray-on-wet-surface/rinse-off product, though the instructions specify to dry off after first application instead of rinsing. I worked on the trunk area 1/3 at a time.

My best guess is that the coating simply didn't have enough time to cure properly before the rain hit, though it did have several days and the bottle mentions nothing about a required curing time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TreverT View Post
    It was a spray-on-wet-surface/rinse-off product, though the instructions specify to dry off after first application instead of rinsing. I worked on the trunk area 1/3 at a time.

My best guess is that the coating simply didn't have enough time to cure properly before the rain hit, though it did have several days and the bottle mentions nothing about a required curing time.
    Doing it sections at a time might have caused overspray.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TreverT View Post

As Rsurfer mentions it's easy to get overspray and even when rinsing it off it's important to go over a larger section than you applyied it on. Then you mentioned that you get paint transfer when you polishing it off. Makes me think that you have applyied it on a single stage paint. Know this is just some thoughts about it and no proof. But single stage paint is porous in it's nature. And the SiO2 technology works as it bonds to the valleys of the paint if you take it down to a very close up look. Wax and synthetic sealants bonds to the high ridges and push down into the valleys. And ceramics building up from the valleys to smooth the paint to a higher gloss. This is useally why ceramics don't work so well on SS paints. Other than if you use more amount of product than you useally does and this you get from layering them.

These spray on rinse off products cure and bonds very fast and I mean really really fast LOL. The more common ones where you rinse it off you can see how it bonds while you rinsing it off and spreads with the water. Many thinks it's water activated but it's actually pressure activated. That's why many recommends to rinse it off with a PW or a strong water pressure from the hose. With it getting down to the the valleys in the paint. It can be that the product got stuck down there in your paint. And when the rain come some of the product came up to the surface and spotted when it dried. These products when they don't get rinsed off thoroughly or or removed after too long. The SiO2 gets very hard and thick when cured this way. I have seen nightmares when Gyeon and Carpro released their products. And users went to cover the whole car and started to rinse it off. Then they stod with a thick and grabby layer with this stuff. One so bad so they needed to be wet sanding as a first step to level down the amount of it until it where able to be compounding off. So this is just a theory that you had some weird reaction from it when it rained on it.

I know which product you refer to. It's a hybrid and useally on bc/cc paints any high spots is easy to wipe them off. I think this is the other part of the SiO2 technology in it that can haze up later on and be wiped off easy. Cause SiO2 technology if you get it cured enough it's not many things you can get it off with than polishing it off. This is since you are sure nothing else could have been staining or etch your paint. Single stage paint is so dependant on how non porous the individual paint you apply a ceramic coating or any other coating technology is to be able to get it to work. I useally says to be sticking with organic wax or synthetic wax or sealant on these paints. Or try it on a little spot and see how it works on just that paint. Have seen great coatings on SS paints behave almost like there where nothing on the paint at all. So results can be various from paint to paint.

But have you got it off now?

8. Thanks TreverT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Megs ceramic hybrid? Just guessing cuz you said their forum plus initial description. The stuff is thick and very clingy. You just gotta make sure you give it thorough rinse.

I’ve read we’re a hose may leave those spots. Did you rinse with garden hose or PW.

If garden hose use most powerful setting and rinse extra well. Some have diluted product as well.

As for removing I’ve tried all the usual suspect. May try wetting and re applying on spots to “reactivate”. If that doesn’t work it looks as if a polish is in your future.

Wish you luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Thanks TreverT thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I managed to get most of the stains off the rear end by polishing, though a few shadow spots still linger. Out of curiosity I picked up some citrus wheel cleaner to see if it might help, in careful small applications.

Regarding the application of the coating, the instructions were to wet the surface, spray on the coating, then dry - That was for the initial application. Later applications were to be sprayed on and then hosed off. So, I'm guessing it was just way too thick and re-liquefied during the rain, at least partly. This is why I'm reluctant to "name names", because I don't want to badmouth a product if it was me that screwed up. But, that said, I DID follow the bottle instructions exactly.

Once I got the stains off the trunk, I redid the whole thing with Meg's Ultimate Wax instead. Beautiful shine. Last night it rained a lot in the wee hours, then we got bright sun for water spot baking and yet zero stains - I have "normal" waterspots which wet-wipe easily and leave no marks, but got none of those pale spot stains as before. So, apparently the wax both stuck and provided protection.

Now I just have the rest of the car to polish...

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coatings belong omg clear coat. I’ve seen all kinds of problems with coating single stage. Also hear a lot of complaints about all these so called spray on coatings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast