autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tips on removing weird stains caused by"ceramic hybrid" finish?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Coatings belong omg clear coat. I’ve seen all kinds of problems with coating single stage. Also hear a lot of complaints about all these so called spray on coatings.
    What do you recommend for single stage? We've got a yellow Focus ST that I'll have to get to eventually also, that I'm also assuming is single stage. Just wax? I've used Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax in the past and really liked it for ease and results.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, a Sealant and give it 24 hours to cure and a wax over top.

3. Thanks TreverT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve got a newer mustang and the coating seem to be fine. I was always wary of spray on spray off sealants and only use on wheels.

Maybe try a sio2 wipe on wipe off sealant. I like the water behavior much more and their good for 4-6 months real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TreverT View Post
    What do you recommend for single stage? We've got a yellow Focus ST that I'll have to get to eventually also, that I'm also assuming is single stage. Just wax? I've used Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax in the past and really liked it for ease and results.
    What year modell is the Ford ST? From the late 90s most every car has a bc/cc paints. If you are uncertain you can do a little handpolishing with a hand pad that's not yellow. And if you get paint transfer on the polishing pad you have SS paint. If you just get the polish residue and a little dirt often you have bc/cc paint.

I see what you mean with not bashing before you knows what happened. But this is not only directed to a specific brand but to all of them that use SiO2 and ceramic coating technology. That they can get better to inform that this is not so good on SS paints. I don't think I have seen anyone mention it in their description of coating products. Sure it can work on some SS paints but that's rare it does so. And with going to be applying their products and have an expextation from it. The real world results is often very sad on these paints.

If it's not a DD the car with the SS paint on it. I would go with a good carnuaba wax. Collinite 915 is a nice one with a decent longevity and very good longevity from a carnuaba wax with 3-5 months longevity from it. Also at a very great price on it.

I have used the spray on rinse off products a lot and been very satisfied with them I have used. The ones on AGO is Carpro Hydro2 lite and Sonax Spray and Seal and Gyeon Wet Coat and then some not sold on AGO. IMO if you don't have a shade area or a PW or a low water pressure from the hose I would not use these products. Apply them in the sun is a no go as they just cure too fast and you can get big problems with them. The strong water pressure makes it to fully bond and you get what to expect from them. If you use the products I have used and apply it panel by panel with thorough rinsing it off. You will get great results from them on a clean paint as in not a high amount of imbedded contaminants on the paint. 2-3 months of great behavior from them is what I useally gets even in the harsh winter weather environment I live in. And they are so easy to apply and maintain with just apply a new layer of it every 2-3 months or so. The first 3 months I apply them monthly to build up the behavior from them and it's gets as near as full blown ceramic coating behavior I can get from them. And have not had any problems at all with them in the last 2 years of use and mostly as a stand alone LSP too. The only off label use I do and it's when I start to build up the behavior from them or when I minimize the amount of product I need to be useing. Is that I spray 2 times on the wet panel and split the roof and the hood in 2 sections. Then I wipe it in on every part of the surface with a damp mf applicator sponge or mf towel. And directly rinse it off with the PW. This way I use less than 100ml/~3.5oz on the whole car. So I don't wipe it off but just spreading it to an even coverage and less sprays per panel needed and also IME a better behavior from them. So with the right conditions to apply them in they work awesome for me. I think that I have seen some do this application method I do with the HCW and got very great results from it even the foundation layer done this way. It's on the thicker side and it don't mist out so well from the bottle. So with wipe it in with this product I think that you will be satisfied with it on a bc/cc paint and rinse it off very thoroughly with a strong water pressure. You can dilute it for maintance and some use it as a drying aid. But I like to spreading it out on a wet panel and rinse it off as it's goes very fast to do a whole car.

6. Thanks TreverT, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes dman68 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Focus is a 2017. Haven't tested it yet but I know the Spyder is single stage because I can rub it hard with a polishing cloth and come away with some green color on the rag.

It may sound ridiculous, but I've ended up using some front and side pics of the car and trying different products on different panels, marking which product I used on which area. So far I've tried Meg's Ultimate Wax, CG Black Light, and Turtlewax Ice Spray Wax, and none have cause the staining that occurred with the hybrid ceramic stuff. We just had a heavy rain for half the night last night too, and this morning I only had normal, hose-away water spots, not those weird stains.

I'll check out the Collinite too. I've heard tons of great reviews of the stuff, and was already curious but I was cautious of just throwing money at more products until I had a better understanding of what caused this issue and what product made it happen.

I'll test out the other sprays you mention on the Focus, in some small areas to check results. It's amazing how complicated this has all gotten - Makes me miss the days when waxing a car just meant going to Roses to pick up a container of paste wax! Thanks very much for all the useful into, to you and everyone else who has responded. It's been a big help, and very educational.

8. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=TreverT;1646570]The Focus is a 2017. Haven't tested it yet but I know the Spyder is single stage because I can rub it hard with a polishing cloth and come away with some green color on the rag.

Could it be tinted clear coat?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Rsurfer;1646646]
    The Focus is a 2017. Haven't tested it yet but I know the Spyder is single stage because I can rub it hard with a polishing cloth and come away with some green color on the rag.

Could it be tinted clear coat?

Not a clue. It is a repaint - The previous owner had it repainted back in 2010-ish, and I have no idea what type or quality of paint was used, though it still looks good.

Post Thanks / Like

It may sound ridiculous, but I've ended up using some front and side pics of the car and trying different products on different panels, marking which product I used on which area. So far I've tried Meg's Ultimate Wax, CG Black Light, and Turtlewax Ice Spray Wax, and none have cause the staining that occurred with the hybrid ceramic stuff. We just had a heavy rain for half the night last night too, and this morning I only had normal, hose-away water spots, not those weird stains.

I'll check out the Collinite too. I've heard tons of great reviews of the stuff, and was already curious but I was cautious of just throwing money at more products until I had a better understanding of what caused this issue and what product made it happen.

I'll test out the other sprays you mention on the Focus, in some small areas to check results. It's amazing how complicated this has all gotten - Makes me miss the days when waxing a car just meant going to Roses to pick up a container of paste wax! Thanks very much for all the useful into, to you and everyone else who has responded. It's been a big help, and very educational.
    The Ford Focus ST has the bc/cc paint if it's not repainted with a SS paint.

What's also strange to sort out is that even haveing the Wax in it's name. It's not always it has any organic wax in the product. Some detailing company thinks it's easier for some customer to know it's a protection product. So they put in the Wax part for the masses.

What year modell is the Spyder?
    Most repaints even around 2010 and say during 2000' if done by a rebutable bodyshop and if not especially wanting a SS paint. Is bc/cc paint as it's visual looks last longer than than the SS paint even when it's starting to oxidize as both paint sysrem does. Not that you don't can get a SS paint look really great as that you can and some even prefer the looks from it. But the bc/cc paint is much tougher in many ways as to chemical resistance as in etching less easier.

As a swede I have not so much of experience with the pbmg product lines. The products that you have tested on the front would be good to go with. They are more on the sealant range of products. So you know that the SS paint handles the polymer based protection products well. To get the most out of the looks from a SS paint it's useally to get any dead paint aka oxidation off the paint. If you work by hand doing this a great and easy to use on SS paints is Sonax Easy Shine. Most cleaner waxes/AIO will be doing the same. And with the help of the mild abrasives in these you get the dead paint off. Top it up and maintain it for longer in betweens before doing a new AIO job. This is on a well protected paint as with a modern paint every year or every other year depending on the paint quality of the repaint and the protection from UV rays the products you have has. To Sonax Easy Shine a good combo is to top it and maintain it with Sonax Speed Protect. Just as an option to all of the others. Maintance with SS paint is the oldest thing so many products works for you. It's just the newer ceramic SiO2 coating products that on it self works in a different way that is not a benefit on the SS paint. But on the Ford Focus ST you have ceramic coating and SiO2 maintance products is awesome in many ways. So even if you had problem with the product on the Spyder I would do a little test spot on the ST and you will notice that it's a great option. One tips I heard of is to be thorough with giving it a really good shake before and during the application of it.

Look what I bought to test out after the answers before to you LOL

Will be fun to see how it compares to the other spray on rinse off products I have used before. And will apply it side by side with Turtle Wax ICE Seal N Shine to see how they does on comparison for me.

The products I mentioned before and you can top the Easy Shine with the products you have or the Collinite 915. The Easy Shine is a recommendation if you work by hand. If you have a polisher which is effective to have you have a lot of cleaner waxes/AIO to chose from that's great to work with.

SONAX Easy Shine, all in one polish wax

And if you want to use a spray on wipe off product instead of a paste wax. Sonax Speed Protect and the products you have as the Turtle Wax ICE Spray Wax is good options.

SONAX Speed Protect

If you want to have a very durable paste wax the Collinite 476s is an awesome to go with. 6-9 months longevity from it from real world use is what you get with this. The 915 you get 3-5 months longevity from. It's more carnuaba in the 915 than 476s but both has a great carnuaba glow look from them.

Collinite Marque D?Elegance Carnauba Paste Wax #915, car wax, paste auto wax

Collinite Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax No. 476

/ Tony

12. Thanks TreverT thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12