autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Maintenance Product for "Ceramic Bond"

Mike,

I recently purchased a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek in Crystal Silica Black (I'm a glutton for punishment). After taking delivery, I spotted a small sticker on the driver's window that says "My Auto Protect Ceramic Bond". I called the dealership for more information and to my surprise and delight, the dealership applies the ceramic coating to all of their vehicles due to proximity to railroad tracks. The person I talked to claimed the coating is good for a year of protection.

With that in mind, what are you thoughts on this brand and the length of protection the dealer is claiming?

I was thinking of maintaining the finish with OPT products, specifically ONR and Opti-Clean, but is there a better product for my situation? What about ceramic boosters? I *think* I'm more interested in a sealer than a wax. In the past, I've used a variety of natural and synthetic waxes. The results are impressive, but I'm more interested in a lower maintenance form of protection.

Kind regards,
    joleat

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Maintenance Product for "Ceramic Bond"

The first thing I would do is decontaminate with an Iron remover like IronX.

Post Thanks / Like

A sio2 topper/sealant will play well with a ceramic coating. AG offers a ton of them. If your talking about the Blacfire ceramic booster I would try their sealant as many seem to like.

Any rinseless w/o waxes or polymers should work well. Many use McKee’s 914 as leaves nothing behind. Awesome for rinseless or waterless washes.

Agree with using an iron remover 1st as rail dust can still be on top of your coating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Joleat View Post

With that in mind, what are you thoughts on this brand and the length of protection the dealer is claiming?
    It's kind of a running joke now, but here goes...

I have an article on that!

Here you go, read through this it has the answer.

How long will a ceramic coating last on my car?

Quote Originally Posted by Joleat View Post

I was thinking of maintaining the finish with OPT products, specifically ONR and Opti-Clean, but is there a better product for my situation? What about ceramic boosters? I *think* I'm more interested in a sealer than a wax. In the past, I've used a variety of natural and synthetic waxes. The results are impressive, but I'm more interested in a lower maintenance form of protection.

Kind regards,
    joleat

Good questions.

First - here's my recent article on how to was a coated car. I think it's fair to say that the thing MOST people do to take care of their car is to WASH it. When you wash it you TOUCH it. So finding a way to TOUCH it without scratching the coating or the paint is the key and I share the key here.

How to safely wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips - Traditional Hose & Bucket Approach

As far as toppers go, like mentioned above, there are a good selection of spray-on maintenance products. My favorite for my own car is Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating.

After I wash and dry our Honda, I use a piece of microfiber towel to apply a thin application over all the paint, glass and plastic.

It's fast and easy. It restores an incredibly slippery feel to the paint. Leaves the entire outside of the car protected and the car looks great. It also keeps it washing and drying very fast.

Coated under 15 minutes using PBL Surface Coating

Here's another product I really like and use on our cars. It just recently came out.

KILLER CAR WASH - Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of "My Auto Protect Ceramic Bond" before. I searched Google and found a pretty basic website with not much information and no product pictures. I doubt the car dealership had all of their vehicles professionally ceramic coated. It's probably a Paint Sealant or a product like "Hybrid Ceramic Wax". A professional ceramic coating would cost the dealership too much money and take too much time to apply.

If your new Subaru Crosstrek was sitting near railroad tracks I would recommend using a good Iron Remover.

Maintenance products for ceramic coatings -
    Blackfire Iron Remover - BLACKFIRE Iron Remover
    Blackfire Pro Ceramic Coating Wash - BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating Wash
    Blackfire SiO2 Spray Sealant - BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant

Good luck with your new Subaru Crosstrek

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the responses and recommendations.

Maintaining a near perfect finish is of lesser importance to me than it was in my youth. However, I still want to provide reasonable protection of such a significant purchase.

With that in mind, I'm intrigued by the mention of Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating. Is it a similar product to OPT Opti-Seal? Are there any other comparable products available through AutoGeek? Having a product that is safe for paint, rubber, plastic and glass would certainly cut down on time spent maintaining the finish.