autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Can I apply a synthetic paint sealant to the stripes on my Ford GT

Can I apply a synthetic paint sealant to the stripes on my Ford GT

Anytime I get questions via e-mail, a PM or a FB message I prefer to invest my typing time where

A: It's easier for me to share links, pictures and videos.

B: More people can read and thus benefit from the information. (no just one set of eyeballs)

The reality is, most people that contact me found me via an article I've written or a reply I've written on this forum. The thing is, instead of figuring out that the whole reason they are contacting me is because they found me via an article or answer I wrote on the forum that they to should bring their question to the forum because not only will that help them.... but it will help a future "them". If I answer everything in a private e-mail or other touch point, no one would find and contact me. It's a cycle or pattern that repeats as long as everything is shared in the public domain.

The above is kind of wordy but re-read it slowly and it will make sense.

So I get an e-mail asking,

Mike, Hope you are well, I had a question on applying Wolfgang paint sealant on the stripes on the Ford GT?

There are 2 vinyl stripes about 6" wide the whole length of the car, My plan is to apply the sealant to the whole car.

Do you feel it will be OK and will not discolor the vinyl, Black paint black vinyl?

thanks,

Patti

Great questions Patti...

Hi Patti,

If the stripes are GLOSSY then yes you can use it on these areas.

If the stripes are MATTE or have a flat or dull looking finish, then do not put any brand of wax or sealant on them as it will turn them white.

When in doubt, always test in an inconspicuous area.

Hope that helps and feel encouraged to join our forum, this is where I answer questions. Email and Facebook messaging are okay, but the forum is a LOT more powerful. (think about it - it's how you found me in the first place)

Click here to join the AutogeekOnline.net car detailing discussion forum - THE best forum on the Internet

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can I apply a synthetic paint sealant to the stripes on my Ford GT

Hum... I have used sealants on mate stripes before without an issue... Mainly CarPro Reload...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post

Hum... I have used sealants on mate stripes before without an issue... Mainly CarPro Reload...

Thanks for commenting, give me a chance to dive deeper.

2 things,

1: When I receive an e-mail or any other non-forum form of communication, I have no idea of the person's skill level or knowledge base. While I hate to assume, I DO assume and I assume their knowledge and skill level to be on the lower end, not the higher end. For this reason I dumb my answers down. The last thing Autogeek needs is for me to tell someone how you or I would do something, have them screw it up and then expect Autogeek to replace their car or in this case, pay to have the stripes on a Ford GT replaced. $$$$

2: In CONTEXT - the paint sealant she stated she was going to use "might" be safe on MATTE stripes but it's still a white, creamy or lotion style paint sealant and that's a huge difference from CarPro Reload which is not only a totally different chemical make-up but also translucent in color, as in not a solid color. A clear spray-on sealant is much less likely to stain matte surfaces than any traditional solid color cream, or solid color lotion style synthetic paint sealant or liquid wax.

I've used a lot of different "sealants" on matte surfaces but I do avoid traditional cream or lotion style synthetic sealants or liquid waxes.

The risk of staining matte surfaces white is a risk I do everything I can to avoid based upon personal really bad experiences.

Great comment, thanks for asking.

4. Likes mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand, it's just that the description you gave included all sealants.

I think a good rule of thumb is that if a sealant cannot be used on trim, because it will leave white residues, it will be the same on mate stripes. And any product that is safe on trims, would also be safe on mate stripes.