autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can we cut the SiO2 coating nonsense out?

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    No, the decon did not help. Of course you get hydrophobics back when you apply reload, but that comes from the sealant, not the coating.

Cquatz is no good because you need to apply multiple layers. I can't stay there for 4-6 hours doing nothing while the first layer dries.
    Cquartz does not need multiple layers. One is fine. Also there is only a 45 min to 1 hour wait time in between coats. Unless Gliss is being used which is not required.

2. Thanks BudgetPlan1, Calendyr thanked for this post
    Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coatings are good and marketing BS is alive and well. Both are true. Read reviews here and elsewhere and they'll steer you toward the better coatings and better values. Wild claims are likely just that.

Consider if you really want a coating on your car for more than 2 years. They're not impervious to accumulating contaminants and in my limited experience they may accumulate road grime faster than clear coat. After a year or two the coating could still be there but not be sheeting water due to contamination, and likely doesn't look as good as it did when new? I don't get the point of having a coating for more that 1-2 years on a car that's going to get driven in weather.

For those with more coating experience, how long or how for how many washes does that glassy look remain? It's one thing to get it on Day 1. It's another thing to have it a year later.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

4. Likes acuRAS82, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Consider if you really want a coating on your car for more than 2 years. They're not impervious to accumulating contaminants and in my limited experience they may accumulate road grime faster than clear coat. After a year or two the coating could still be there but not be sheeting water due to contamination, and likely doesn't look as good as it did when new? I don't get the point of having a coating for more that 1-2 years on a car that's going to get driven in weather.
    This is where my head has always been at. I’m ok trying coatings at this point in my detailing life, but no way it’s staying on the car for more than 9-12 months and will likely get SiO2 toppers after 4-6 months to keep the surface looking as shiny as I want it to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Cquartz does not need multiple layers. One is fine. Also there is only a 45 min to 1 hour wait time in between coats. Unless Gliss is being used which is not required.
    Hum, they must have changed their process, I clearly remember not wanting to use Cquarzt because of the multiple layer requirement and time between layers. Thanks, I will look into it then, maybe that will be my next 2 year coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Coatings are good and marketing BS is alive and well. Both are true. Read reviews here and elsewhere and they'll steer you toward the better coatings and better values. Wild claims are likely just that.

For those with more coating experience, how long or how for how many washes does that glassy look remain? It's one thing to get it on Day 1. It's another thing to have it a year later.
    You are right, this is why a yearly decontamination of the paint is advisable. This is what I offer to my client: Chemical decontamination once a year to remove road film, iron particles, tar, sap and dead bugs. Once this process is done, the coating should be hydrophobic again, but in the case of McKee's, it isn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    This is where my head has always been at. I’m ok trying coatings at this point in my detailing life, but no way it’s staying on the car for more than 9-12 months and will likely get SiO2 toppers after 4-6 months to keep the surface looking as shiny as I want it to.
    Why? The coating give a great semi-permanent barrier of protection that no sealant or wax can offer.

If you want to top it with a sealant, especially a SiO2 one, then you get the advantages of both.

The only case I can make about long durability coating is that once they start to get damaged, you might want to polish the swirls out and this will remove the coating. So it's really a matter of cost here. If you do the job yourself, the cost difference is minimal. If you go with a pro coating, then it can be night and day.

I agree with you that paying 2,000$ to get a 7 years coating it not the best solution in most cases. 5 years coatings seems to be the sweet spot in terms of value, you are not paying that much more than a 2 years coatings and your coating will be in need of re-application about the same time as it would be to polish the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Why? The coating give a great semi-permanent barrier of protection that no sealant or wax can offer.

If you want to top it with a sealant, especially a SiO2 one, then you get the advantages of both.

The only case I can make about long durability coating is that once they start to get damaged, you might want to polish the swirls out and this will remove the coating. So it's really a matter of cost here. If you do the job yourself, the cost difference is minimal. If you go with a pro coating, then it can be night and day.

I agree with you that paying 2,000$ to get a 7 years coating it not the best solution in most cases. 5 years coatings seems to be the sweet spot in terms of value, you are not paying that much more than a 2 years coatings and your coating will be in need of re-application about the same time as it would be to polish the car.
    My background: enthusiast who loves touching my car and looks forward to the near perfection (to me) and fun that comes with polishing at least once a year. I only own daily drivers, with one garage spot for 3 cars. I wash, WW and RW each of them 40-50x per year because I want my cars to look nice often, so even with careful washing technique I’m going to get mild swirls that bother me after 9 months.

I was giving my own opinion based on my own process and desires, but I completely agree that a 2 year coating can not only be great for most people, but is also desired by those who want their paint protected long term and don’t yearn for touching paint as much as I do. If I was paying, I would get a 2 year for my money.

10. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Jayfro, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For me a two year coating is my Goldilocks area. I’m at the 2 year mark on my CarPro Coating and while it still beads very well there are some scratches and marring that needs to be removed. I may use my bottle of Essence+ that has been gathering dust to see if I can go another year without polishing or I may just want to try out a new coating just for the fun of it.

I’m happy that “SiO2 nonsense” was created so I can make my clearcoat last as long as possible.

12. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kdancy View Post
    Tsunami Ceramic coating
    These guys claim 1,4,7 years. Maybe if put in a garage and covered----

yeah, I’m actually a certified installer for tsunami and can vouch the validity of their claim. I’ve also used opti coat pro plus, and Feynlab self heal plus in the past. I’d put the 4/7 against either of them, with the exception of feynlabs self healing aspects.

14. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UpperEchelonDetail View Post
    yeah, I’m actually a certified installer for tsunami and can vouch the validity of their claim. I’ve also used opti coat pro plus, and Feynlab self heal plus in the past. I’d put the 4/7 against either of them, with the exception of feynlabs self healing aspects.
    Is the opti coat pro plus as good as the old opti coat. I don't know how long it lasted because I sold the car after 3 years and it was still looking wonderful after each wash as if I had done a 3 step process

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234