autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can we cut the SiO2 coating nonsense out?

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    Thanks for the information. I wouldn't think that a car wash with Si02 in it would last anywhere near what an "Applied" coating would. Is there any way to categorize which products work best for longer term solutions or ones that last a minimum of at least 2 years? I don't want to be doing this every car wash or 6 months and if customers ask me it would be good to know.
    The full blown ceramic coatings comes in a little glass bottle and a very few in a little spray plastic bottle. 30ml or 50ml is what's geared to the consumer coatings and the few in the plastic bottles comes in 4oz or 8oz. The bigger bottles you will know by the high price on them. Otherwise you have from around $50 and up. This is the ceramic coatings that could last you over 2 years. There are also a few that comes in a syringe too.

Post Thanks / Like

Along with SWETM's advice on the packaging being a clue, also look at the durability claims on the product pages. While you're results may vary, if a product claims to get 3+ years you should easily get 18 months to 2 years with no problems from a reputable brand/product.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tsunami Ceramic coating
    These guys claim 1,4,7 years. Maybe if put in a garage and covered----

Post Thanks / Like

I have a claimed 2 year durable coating on my car. It won't last more than 1 year as I'll do at least an annual cut and buff on it and reapply something. That's ok with me because I know it will last the year and protect my preciously thin clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Along with SWETM's advice on the packaging being a clue, also look at the durability claims on the product pages. While you're results may vary, if a product claims to get 3+ years you should easily get 18 months to 2 years with no problems from a reputable brand/product.
    The claims on these products have to be taken with a grain of salt.

First off, they are all semi-permanent, so they will stay on the paint until you remove them. On the other hand, maximum effectiveness of the product diminishes with time, and what you normally loose first is the hydrophobicity of the product.

As an exemple, I have been installing McKee's 37 paint coatings for 3 years now. This year I implemented a nano-ceramic maintenance program for my clients. Basically it's a detailed wash with chemical decontamination and application of a ceramic sealant (CarPro Reload).

All the clients I did this package for that had 1 year old coating from McKee's (that I installed last year) had flat paint. No hydrophobicity at all. The product is still there and it's still protecting the paint, but the main advantage of it is gone (ease of maintenance and water repellency). So I will very likelly remove that product from my offering when I am done with my current stock (one bottle left) and go with something else. McKee's claims 3 years on this product... I don't know what aspect of it is 3 years but less than a year for water repellency is pretty bad for a coating. I was hoping to be proven wrong with Scott's newest test but McKee's only sent Hydro Blue. So that confirms to me they don't want their product to fall flat on it's face in a durability test.

Very sad because the price is great, and application is really good too. But if it can't offer decent durability, I see no reason to use it.

Now I will have to find a product with similar characteristics that can last about 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    The claims on these products have to be taken with a grain of salt.

First off, they are all semi-permanent, so they will stay on the paint until you remove them. On the other hand, maximum effectiveness of the product diminishes with time, and what you normally loose first is the hydrophobicity of the product.

As an exemple, I have been installing McKee's 37 paint coatings for 3 years now. This year I implemented a nano-ceramic maintenance program for my clients. Basically it's a detailed wash with chemical decontamination and application of a ceramic sealant (CarPro Reload).

All the clients I did this package for that had 1 year old coating from McKee's (that I installed last year) had flat paint. No hydrophobicity at all. The product is still there and it's still protecting the paint, but the main advantage of it is gone (ease of maintenance and water repellency). So I will very likelly remove that product from my offering when I am done with my current stock (one bottle left) and go with something else. McKee's claims 3 years on this product... I don't know what aspect of it is 3 years but less than a year for water repellency is pretty bad for a coating. I was hoping to be proven wrong with Scott's newest test but McKee's only sent Hydro Blue. So that confirms to me they don't want their product to fall flat on it's face in a durability test.

Very sad because the price is great, and application is really good too. But if it can't offer decent durability, I see no reason to use it.

Now I will have to find a product with similar characteristics that can last about 2 years.
    Not even the decon wash revived it some?

That's not so good if the coating behavior is totaly flat after a year. Then it's more to be compared to the coating lite range of products. And it's much about how the customer maintains the coating or you get it in to maintance every 6months to check how it's doing and do the necessary to revive it and at the end refresh it with a topper to have it's behavior on top.

Pinnacle Black Label have a coating in the spray bottle if remember correctly. Otherwise in your environment a tried and great results is Carpro CQUK 3.0. Then IIRC you are a mobile detailer and that gets other properties that needs to be working for you when you apply it and also when you can release the coated car out in the wild again.

Post Thanks / Like

Those are pretty disapointing results from the McKee's. I used the original version and was able to get 18 months of visable performance by only doing routine washes and a wipe down with a QD spray. The vehicles even saw the worst winter my area had seen in 40 years. Tons of salt and grime on the cars for weeks at a time.

So far I've seen great results from CQUK 2.0 and I'm sure the cars I've done with 3.0 will do fine as well.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

9. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

what your asking for basically applies to any product that exists for anything with the exception of some of the regulated fda stuff.

all sorts of chemicals, cleaners, oils, cars, fuel system cleaners down to different brands of cucumber seeds. That's a big reason amazon is popular. If there are enough good reviews you'll know it's a decent product and does what it claims.

One thing that tweaks me a little about autogeek is that you can't review everything you buy, they only seem to post it if you get "selected" so you never really know how good a product is.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Not even the decon wash revived it some?

That's not so good if the coating behavior is totaly flat after a year. Then it's more to be compared to the coating lite range of products. And it's much about how the customer maintains the coating or you get it in to maintance every 6months to check how it's doing and do the necessary to revive it and at the end refresh it with a topper to have it's behavior on top.

Pinnacle Black Label have a coating in the spray bottle if remember correctly. Otherwise in your environment a tried and great results is Carpro CQUK 3.0. Then IIRC you are a mobile detailer and that gets other properties that needs to be working for you when you apply it and also when you can release the coated car out in the wild again.
    No, the decon did not help. Of course you get hydrophobics back when you apply reload, but that comes from the sealant, not the coating.

Cquatz is no good because you need to apply multiple layers. I can't stay there for 4-6 hours doing nothing while the first layer dries.

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    what your asking for basically applies to any product that exists for anything with the exception of some of the regulated fda stuff.

all sorts of chemicals, cleaners, oils, cars, fuel system cleaners down to different brands of cucumber seeds. That's a big reason amazon is popular. If there are enough good reviews you'll know it's a decent product and does what it claims.

One thing that tweaks me a little about autogeek is that you can't review everything you buy, they only seem to post it if you get "selected" so you never really know how good a product is.
    I did not know that. Everytime I purchase from Autogeel I get an email asking me to review the products. Maybe they use the results internally to select what products they offer?

In any case, I don't think a review system like Amazon has would be much help. People review the products when they use it, so if it fails 7 months down the road, the review has already been done when they applied it.

For the price, McGee's coating is still a good value. I just hate the claims they make for 3 years when it won't provide a full year of maximum effectiveness.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast