autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Clear bra marred by brake fluid spill - way to fix?

The shop working on my Lotus Elise spilled brake fluid on the clear bra (don't know the brand of clear bra, but he said it doesn't look like the factory one).

He wiped it off immediately, but it still left a dull streak in the bra. Is there any way to correct this (or at least make it less severe) without replacing the clear bra piece?

Photos attached - was hard to get a good shot inside with the shop lights.

The good news is the shop offered to replace that portion of the bra for free, or to credit me the cost to replace ($600-800).

I took the latter so I could try to fix it and then assess my options if that doesn't work.

Clear bra marred by brake fluid spill - way to fix?-20190717_124755_resized-jpg

Clear bra marred by brake fluid spill - way to fix?-20190717_124801_resized-jpg

Clear bra marred by brake fluid spill - way to fix?-20190717_124804_resized-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear bra marred by brake fluid spill - way to fix?

How's the paint under the bra ?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's fine. I got a chance to look at it in person and the marring seems to be limited to the surface of the clear bra.

The shop updated me and said their cost to replace is $350. So I either get $350 off my bill or they can replace it no charge. I'm leaning towards just having it replaced as it's a bit faded and probably inferior, older technology.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by white98ls View Post
    The shop updated me and said their cost to replace is $350. So I either get $350 off my bill or they can replace it no charge. I'm leaning towards just having it replaced as it's a bit faded and probably inferior, older technology.
    I'd let them do it as that way if there is/are any problem(s) encountered, it's their responsibility to make things right.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always hears that brake fluid will eat paint, but I didn't know how fast because I've always been so careful to not find out. It's sort of impressive how quickly the brake fluid did that to the bra.
    BTW, clear bras can be polished.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    I've always hears that brake fluid will eat paint, but I didn't know how fast because I've always been so careful to not find out. It's sort of impressive how quickly the brake fluid did that to the bra.
    BTW, clear bras can be polished.
    How easy is it to polish? At this point I'm kind of leaning towards just having them replace, since they would only credit me the amount at their $350 cost, and getting it done somewhere else would surely cost more. Even if I could polish the splotch out, I'd still have an old piece of clear bra instead of a free new one (or more accurately, a new one that only cost me a $350 credit). Like I said, the existing bra is not exactly crystal clear anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by white98ls View Post
    Even if I could polish the splotch out,
    I'd still have an old piece of clear bra
    instead of a free new one (or more
    accurately, a new one that only cost me
    a $350 credit).

Alex...I’ll take:
    ”The New One for $350”.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

$350 for a bra is good money, and that's at a good discount it seems. But that's besides the point. Anyhow, bras are easy to polish. Do you own a polisher? You can polish the other portions that they don't replace to help match the new section.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Mike Phillips

I've had very good luck machine polishing swirls and scratches out of clear bras using BLACKFIRE One Step and a foam polishing pad followed by a foam finishing pad.

It's worked every time.

Might give that a shot.

10. Likes white98ls liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I've had very good luck machine polishing swirls and scratches out of clear bras using BLACKFIRE One Step and a foam polishing pad followed by a foam finishing pad.
    Take the money to get a new one on your own. Then do as Mike said, try and polish it out, but just beware it's likely a typical 7 layer PPF Layer with a very thin clear finish on it thus it won't take much to burn through the clear coat it has. Just "kiss-it" likely with a polishing pad and see how it turns out.

In the end, the worst case is you have an installer put a new one on. They are relatively easy to remove with steam. From there, clean up the underlying layer, polish it and coat it prior the new PPF Going on. Don't coat the areas where the installer will wrap it to hide the seams but everywhere else is fine. Actually makes subsequent removals much cleaner.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast