autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear bra marred by brake fluid spill - way to fix?

Alright, so horrible news. The installer started pulling off the old clear bra and it started pulling up paint - it looks like the front end "clamshell" (all one fiberglass piece with the Lotus) was repainted at some point. So now I have a 1/4-removed clear bra and paint coming up, and I'm looking at having to both repaint the entire front end AND replace the entire clear bra!

So, so upset. I could have just tried to buff it out, but I figured they would be replacing it for free so why not. This is a highly-reputed shop but I'm incredibly upset that I'm now stuck with a several thousand dollar bill due to no fault of my own. What should I do?

Post Thanks / Like

Did he use steam? Did he pull towards himself or did he fold it back over and pull it in reverse? You don't want to put stress on the paint, you just need the adhesive to release. Curious as I've removed some pretty old PPF and never had it pull paint.

This IMO is the only way to remove it safely. Not my video but this guy does is correctly.

YouTube
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Did he use steam? Did he pull towards himself or did he fold it back over and pull it in reverse? You don't want to put stress on the paint, you just need the adhesive to release. Curious as I've removed some pretty old PPF and never had it pull paint.

This IMO is the only way to remove it safely. Not my video but this guy does is correctly.

YouTube
    No idea, but now the front end of the car needs to repainted and whole clear bra needs to be redone. Aka several thousand dollars worth of work through no fault of my own. What recourse do I have and what would be fair to ask of the shop to pay for? Not to mention my car will be out of commission for who knows how long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by white98ls View Post
    No idea, but now the front end of the car needs to repainted and whole clear bra needs to be redone. Aka several thousand dollars worth of work through no fault of my own. What recourse do I have and what would be fair to ask of the shop to pay for? Not to mention my car will be out of commission for who knows how long.
    I have limited information of course but my opinion would be that everything is 100% on the shop to have it re-done to your satisfaction. They are likely insured so if I were you, I'd talk with them about contacting their insurance company and working through them vs the shop. This way you have a much large co. to manage and being it's insurance you can likely take it elsewhere to get repainted and PPF applied at a later date, etc. That said, I don't know what has transpired contractually between you and them in writing so there could be some details in all this that we aren't aware of.

Hope this helps.
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

5. Thanks white98ls thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Talked with the shop and they're going to pay for a front-end repaint and then clear bra once the paint cures. So all is good. The paint and clear bra were okay, but not great, so I guess in the end it should all be worth it. I looked up the paint/body shop they use and they do great work. Thanks all!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post

YouTube
    BTW, they left it out in the sun (but started work before 10am so it couldn't have gotten very hot) and supposedly used boiling water. Seems like that wouldn't heat it up as well as a heat gun, steam, etc. given the water would only be on the surface for a few seconds before rolling off...

Post Thanks / Like

Talked with the shop and they're going to pay for a front-end repaint and then clear bra once the paint cures. So all is good. The paint and clear bra were okay, but not great, so I guess in the end it should all be worth it. I looked up the paint/body shop they use and they do great work. Thanks all!
    Sounds like you found a good shop that is responsible for their actions.

BTW, they left it out in the sun (but started work before 10am so it couldn't have gotten very hot) and supposedly used boiling water. Seems like that wouldn't heat it up as well as a heat gun, steam, etc. given the water would only be on the surface for a few seconds before rolling off...
    Hot water isn't going to cut it. Steam. My method for removing PPF and window tint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    I've always hears that brake fluid will eat paint, but I didn't know how fast because I've always been so careful to not find out. It's sort of impressive how quickly the brake fluid did that to the bra.
    BTW, clear bras can be polished.
    I have heard the same thing but I don't know if it is true. It is not good for paint to be sure. My guess is that polishing would bring it back.... but if they want to replace it for you, well, why not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post

Alex...I’ll take:
    ”The New One for $350”.

Bob
    Sorry FunX, Watson buzzed before you did...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12