autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is there a Bubba Proof Compound and Polish?

The issue with black that is hammered is if you just use a polish most likely it'll add gloss and remove swirls but still leaves the deeper scratches. When the swirls are removed a lot of times scratches that were covered by the lighter swirls seem like they magically appear and they stand out more than before. This hobby always leads to wanting more so just get some compound and some cutting pads and give it a go. There's nothing worse than working all day and then walking away with the thought of "I should have did this instead"

2. Likes astro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, I was always planning to use a Compound initially or an AIO, not just the Polish...waste of time on that car!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    Yes, makes sense. Question, since it cuts faster, would this mean less passes with the compound (generally speaking)? When applying Compound (again generally speaking), is arm speed faster/slower/same as applying an AIO? Also, using a Compound, do I need to use a LC Orange Pad or something less abrasive? I know test passes...but just trying to get a rough idea?
    IMO, I try and stay at 1 second per inch arm movement for either. That to me allows for good solid correction time on both my Flex and Mille Units. The differences in my packages offered very by the amount of correction we're targeting thus that will vary based on how many passes I make.

Here's an example of a before and after using CarPro ClearCut with a purple wool pad on Flex unit. I can't recall exactly how many passes but likely 3-4 max. I followed it up after with 1-2 passes at slightly faster arm speed with CarPro Essence. Super fast time savings with these products involved.

Different panels shown here but you get the idea of before/after:

^^ that's just compounded not polished.

I may actually start this weekend on his car with just washing and decon, just getting it ready to buff in the coming week(s). This will reduce the amount of time working at his house...and keeping the wife (one that must be obeyed) a little happier!

All I can say is WOW, my jaw hit the ground when i saw the first picture of the black S4!!!
    Thanks. Here's a reflection off the drivers door
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

5. Likes astro, Jim w liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice....looks outstanding! Thank you for letting me know your process, it helps me tremendously!

Jay

7. Likes astro liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Thank you very much sir....is that the standard Pinnacle or Black Label?

Jay

Pinnacle Natural Brilliance

This is basecoat/clearcoat and I found the paint to be more on the hard side than the soft side. I sanded and then cut the air scoops. For the rest of the paint I cut her hard using the Cordless BEAST with the Pinnacle ADvanced Compound and then polished using the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish. Works on any paint that I've worked on. Custom paint like this old 2-door Dodge or factory paints.

9. Likes PaulMys, JustJesus liked this post
    Mike Phillips

I had a 1965 Corvette Stingray for one of my classes here at Autogeek. The class buffed out the car but I buffed out the top.

The problem was the Plexiglas back window looked like it was washed with steel wool.

You need to read the article to see what I say about Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish as compared to a lot of other paint and plastic polishes I tried. Like most of my articles and replies on this forum it's very detailed with pictures that never disappear.

Polishing Plexiglas to be as clear as glass using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

It's expensive but it's bubba proof.

I also show the Pinnacle products in all my classes. At my last class in Texas, the first two cars my class learned on were black Corvettes. Some of these people had never machine polished before in their lives. Here's the two Corvettes...

10 cars detailed in 2 days! Texas Roadshow Detailing Class!

Think about it? How can 10 cars get detailed in 2 days?

Easy - NO SITTING. All hands-on learning. YOU are on your feet because you are doing the work.

1961 Corvette

2011 Corvette

For me to turn 16 people loose on OTHER PEOPLE'S Cars, black cars no less and one of them what most of you would consider kind of cool, at least for a "Training Car". The results were nothing short of perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Consider maybe using HD-One and change pads as needed. Then follow up with a spray on sealant to save yourself the "second step". My sister has a horribly abused car as well and this is my plan for her if I ever get to it. I can't justify a 2 step but know that correction is where the work is needed the most. And then maybe in a few months an aio for longer protection.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I had a 1965 Corvette Stingray for one of my classes here at Autogeek. The class buffed out the car but I buffed out the top.

The problem was the Plexiglas back window looked like it was washed with steel wool.

You need to read the article to see what I say about Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish as compared to a lot of other paint and plastic polishes I tried. Like most of my articles and replies on this forum it's very detailed with pictures that never disappear.

Polishing Plexiglas to be as clear as glass using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

It's expensive but it's bubba proof.

I also show the Pinnacle products in all my classes. At my last class in Texas, the first two cars my class learned on were black Corvettes. Some of these people had never machine polished before in their lives. Here's the two Corvettes...

10 cars detailed in 2 days! Texas Roadshow Detailing Class!

Think about it? How can 10 cars get detailed in 2 days?

Easy - NO SITTING. All hands-on learning. YOU are on your feet because you are doing the work.

1961 Corvette

2011 Corvette

For me to turn 16 people loose on OTHER PEOPLE'S Cars, black cars no less and one of them what most of you would consider kind of cool, at least for a "Training Car". The results were nothing short of perfect.

Thank you very much Mike. It's expensive but considering he paid for the flight and a couple of rounds of golf in Vegas (which aint cheap!), it's a drop in the bucket!!

Jay

Mike Phillips

Thank you very much Mike.

It's expensive but considering he paid for the flight and a couple of rounds of golf in Vegas (which aint cheap!), it's a drop in the bucket!!

Jay

Don't perceive this as a hard sell, that's not me. But from experience (years ago), the value of never having to do a job a second time because the abrasive technology didn't work.

You experienced this already with the AIO that micro-marred the heck out of your car's paint. I asked you to trust me, you did. I sent you a product that uses great abrasive technology and un-did the damage the other product inflicted into your car's already factory thin paint. You basically did that car twice.

Forget the cost of the first AIO you used - what's your time worth?

Besides the above, the Pinnacle products aren't any more expensive than 3M products and none of the 3M products on the below page actually state they can be used with orbital polishers. 3M doesn't make orbital products.

3M Rubbing Compounds and Polishes

Just perspective and context.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the most user friendly polishes are rarely discussed here if ever. They are the Optimum line of traditional & spray polishes.

The regular polishes do no gum up or dust & have an almost endless work time (Compound, Finish, & Polish II.) they are also cheap in the $12 range for a small bottle if I recall. They are easy wipe off & SMAT - so can do as many passes as needed. They don’t cut as fast as DAT polishes; but cut well and are idiot proof.

They are excellent with large throw machines, because whatever carrier they use doesn’t dust, dry, or gum up. Plus they are not a PIA to clean out of pads.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast