autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a Bubba Proof Compound and Polish?

Is there a Bubba Proof Compound and Polish?

As a thank you to one of my best friends who took me to Vegas, I plan on detailing his Black '10-'11 Audi S4 since he looks at my car and just shakes his head on how good it looks compared to his! His paint is in horrible shape, constantly going through the Tunnel of Swirls.

I'm not sure if BF One Step will have the strength to level everything out, my preference is to use One Step. My expectation, not his, isn't show car quality but little better than the daily driver finish. Being somewhat new to detailing/polishing, going to a compound is somewhat intimidating to say the least.

Once his car is finished, he's said no more auto car washes!!

My plan before starting, is to do a full wash, wheels, decontamination, then polish. Without knowing his paint but reading different reviews on AGO and other sites, the clearcoat may be harder than my acura but similar to my wife's X3 which turned out pretty good using One Step a few weeks ago.

My initial plan is using either a compound or One Step with either a White or Orange LC Pad, most likely the Orange (based on reviews online). I've seen other Audi's on AGO where they've used MF Pads to cut/level the swirls...I dont think that my skill level is there yet.

Also based on my skill level, if you think I should stick to BF One Step, I'm good with that too since I'm probably over thinking this.

Looking for a little guidance.

Thank you,
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is there a Bubba Proof Compound and Polish?

I think you need to ask if there's a bubba proof method instead of chemicals. If you use common sense techniques using a compound is no different than using BF AIO which you already have. Having said that the GG Boss system liquids are very easy to work with, no dust,long work cycles and easy wipe off. The Megs M110 and D300 also are easy to use.

Take your time, do a test spot and believe what your eyes are seeing

Post Thanks / Like

I’d try the BF One Step as it can have a good amount of cut depending on the pad. Since you’re asking about compound and polish, you may have plans for a two step process already, you could always do One Step with orange and then go back around with the white pads. Another great option locally available if you need ASAP, Meguiars Ultimate Compound would be great with orange pads and then finish with the One Step and white pads.

On a daily driver not driven by an Autogeeker, your best bet may be to do the One Step and stick a fork in it!
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

I had quite a bit of luck using D300 with a fine cut Microfiber pad. Finished out very well on softer paint. Assuming your friend's Audi paint is a bit harder, you might try D300 and a medium cut microfiber pad, then the one step with a white pad if you need a second step. But as you'll read here a hundred times (or more), try a test spot with the least aggressive combo you have, and adjust to find the results you want. If you've used a DA polisher and any chemical at all, I bet you have the skill to tackle this.

Good luck! Did you win?

Mike Phillips

Pinnacle Compound
    Pinnacle Polish

I've never had bad results on any paint system, hard, soft or in-between.

Post Thanks / Like

•Compound:
    -Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound

•Polish(es)
    -Meguiar’s M205 Ultra Finishing Polish
    -Meguiar’s M210 Ultra Pro Finishing Polish

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

7. Likes BillE, Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your machine, your pads and your technique could be more harmful than the compounds or polishes that you use. A machine that is too powerful, used incorrectly with pads that are not clean can cause a lot of damage especially to black paint.

9. Likes astro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

HD One with the corresponding pads is a very easy product, tgat has given me great results.

11. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    As a thank you to one of my best friends who took me to Vegas, I plan on detailing his Black '10-'11 Audi S4 since he looks at my car and just shakes his head on how good it looks compared to his! His paint is in horrible shape, constantly going through the Tunnel of Swirls.

I'm not sure if BF One Step will have the strength to level everything out, my preference is to use One Step. My expectation, not his, isn't show car quality but little better than the daily driver finish. Being somewhat new to detailing/polishing, going to a compound is somewhat intimidating to say the least.

Once his car is finished, he's said no more auto car washes!!

My plan before starting, is to do a full wash, wheels, decontamination, then polish. Without knowing his paint but reading different reviews on AGO and other sites, the clearcoat may be harder than my acura but similar to my wife's X3 which turned out pretty good using One Step a few weeks ago.

My initial plan is using either a compound or One Step with either a White or Orange LC Pad, most likely the Orange (based on reviews online). I've seen other Audi's on AGO where they've used MF Pads to cut/level the swirls...I dont think that my skill level is there yet.

Also based on my skill level, if you think I should stick to BF One Step, I'm good with that too since I'm probably over thinking this.

Looking for a little guidance.
    I need more friends like yours

In terms of products, as others have noted, the process is a bit different but there's no reason to be intimidated. Keeping it simple, compounds will cut through the swirls faster and remove deeper one better but in the end the advantage to them over a Polish or an AIO is speed and cut. The main goal of leveling out the clear coat is to do so with the least amount removed as necessary. You can remove xxx microns of clear with far less passes using a compound then a polish than a polish or all in one alone. Make sense?

That said, I've owned a gorgous S4 in Pure Black and can tell you the paint is rather hard so while and AIO will work and as you noted, get you to where it's better than the average daily driver....likely lots better, a compound and polish combined will be just a little more time involved but given you said his paint is "horrible" it may be the route to go. Nothing wrong with doing a test panel with an AIO and see where you get.

Here are a couple links to the few I've done lately including mine.

Mine
    Customer 1
    Customer 2

Both of these were what I call average, not "horrible" and polished out with an AIO. Both were done with GYEON's Primer as they both ended up with Syncro as the coating.

Mine was initially polished out with Meg's Ultimate Compound then Polish but I refined it with CarPro Essence and it eventually wore a couple different coatings.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing the results!
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

13. Likes PaulMys, Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    I think you need to ask if there's a bubba proof method instead of chemicals. If you use common sense techniques using a compound is no different than using BF AIO which you already have. Having said that the GG Boss system liquids are very easy to work with, no dust,long work cycles and easy wipe off. The Megs M110 and D300 also are easy to use.

Take your time, do a test spot and believe what your eyes are seeing
    Without a doubt, firm believer in test spots!!
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    I’d try the BF One Step as it can have a good amount of cut depending on the pad. Since you’re asking about compound and polish, you may have plans for a two step process already, you could always do One Step with orange and then go back around with the white pads. Another great option locally available if you need ASAP, Meguiars Ultimate Compound would be great with orange pads and then finish with the One Step and white pads.

On a daily driver not driven by an Autogeeker, your best bet may be to do the One Step and stick a fork in it!
    I'm starting to lean that way, I may try One Step on my daughters boyfriend Mercedes to see how it finishes out on the harder paints and my wifes X3 just to get a feel for what it can do.

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    I had quite a bit of luck using D300 with a fine cut Microfiber pad. Finished out very well on softer paint. Assuming your friend's Audi paint is a bit harder, you might try D300 and a medium cut microfiber pad, then the one step with a white pad if you need a second step. But as you'll read here a hundred times (or more), try a test spot with the least aggressive combo you have, and adjust to find the results you want. If you've used a DA polisher and any chemical at all, I bet you have the skill to tackle this.

Good luck! Did you win?
    Thank you....I'm very intimidated by the Microfiber Pads, not sure why, but I've never tried them, only LC Foam Pads. I may have to order one or two to test out, do you have a recommendation on what to try?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Pinnacle Compound
    Pinnacle Polish

I've never had bad results on any paint system, hard, soft or in-between.

Thank you very much sir....is that the standard Pinnacle or Black Label?

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    I need more friends like yours

In terms of products, as others have noted, the process is a bit different but there's no reason to be intimidated. Keeping it simple, compounds will cut through the swirls faster and remove deeper one better but in the end the advantage to them over a Polish or an AIO is speed and cut. The main goal of leveling out the clear coat is to do so with the least amount removed as necessary. You can remove xxx microns of clear with far less passes using a compound then a polish than a polish or all in one alone. Make sense?

That said, I've owned a gorgous S4 in Pure Black and can tell you the paint is rather hard so while and AIO will work and as you noted, get you to where it's better than the average daily driver....likely lots better, a compound and polish combined will be just a little more time involved but given you said his paint is "horrible" it may be the route to go. Nothing wrong with doing a test panel with an AIO and see where you get.

Here are a couple links to the few I've done lately including mine.

Mine
    Customer 1
    Customer 2

Both of these were what I call average, not "horrible" and polished out with an AIO. Both were done with GYEON's Primer as they both ended up with Syncro as the coating.

Mine was initially polished out with Meg's Ultimate Compound then Polish but I refined it with CarPro Essence and it eventually wore a couple different coatings.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing the results!
    Yes, makes sense. Question, since it cuts faster, would this mean less passes with the compound (generally speaking)? When applying Compound (again generally speaking), is arm speed faster/slower/same as applying an AIO? Also, using a Compound, do I need to use a LC Orange Pad or something less abrasive? I know test passes...but just trying to get a rough idea?

I may actually start this weekend on his car with just washing and decon, just getting it ready to buff in the coming week(s). This will reduce the amount of time working at his house...and keeping the wife (one that must be obeyed) a little happier!

All I can say is WOW, my jaw hit the ground when i saw the first picture of the black S4!!!

Thank you very much for all of the info!!

Jay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast