autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally broke down and ordered "The Complete guide to a show car shine"

I have been lurking on this site for a long time and have posted a few threads finally. In one Mike suggested looking into his books, so I just ordered it and have a question. Being that I mainly just detail mine, my parents, and a very few cars here and there; is there any chapters that any of you can suggest really concentrating on. I know the answer from some will be the whole thing, but I was just wondering if some meant more to some of you then others. Since I don't have it yet I'm not sure about all of the contents. Would like to hear the thoughts from others that have read it or that it has really helped out with.

Thanks, Greg

Mike Phillips

Re: Finally broke down and ordered "The Complete guide to a show car shine"

Quote Originally Posted by Me Time View Post

I have been lurking on this site for a long time and have posted a few threads finally. In one Mike suggested looking into his books, so I just ordered it and have a question.

Being that I mainly take detail mine, my parents, and a very few cars here and there; is there any chapters that any of you can suggest really concentrating on.

Thanks, Greg

First thank you for your purchase and your trust. My how-to books are just as in-depth as any reply or article I share here on the forum and I hope most people would agree that my info is in-depth, not one-liners like you find other places.

As for which part of the book to read?

Read the first half of the book from the beginning to the part that covers orbital polishes. I always tell people,

If you read my book, The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine", you will know MORE than most detailers.

And the reason for that is because it is PACKED with meaty information.

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Mike's book, and I can tell you that it's not a sit by the fire, lab laying at your feet on his or her bed, with your smoking jacket on kind of novel. It's rich in detail, technology and 30+ years of experience and techniques, well laid out in order of events.

The first place I go it is the Index / Table of contents and research the topic that I need to read about. I use it as a "how to" for specific topics.... I reference it often and have e-version (pdf) on my iPad in the garage. It's rare that I don't find what I'm looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

You will learn quite a bit from any of Mike's How to books! I need to get a new one as the pages from his book are falling out from reading so much. He shows the entire paint correction process and has PLENTY of pictures as a simpleton like me can understand. I like the pictures! LOL Either way, KEEP ON ROCKING!

Mike, thank you for all the help you have done to make us better detailers! You are the Oracle!

Neo,
    The Matrix
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike's book has become my go to book for quite awhile and I still get use out of it after several years. I made the mistake of ordering the i-Book when he first published it, but I've since moved to the Microsoft Surface platform now and can't view the i-Book. I have to borrow my wife's iPad but she's usually occupied with it when i typically need to reference it

Being an enthusiast and not a pro, I often have to refresh my knowledge since I'm not detailing as much as I'd like. This book has saved me from making mistakes and also helped me optimize my approach when I do get to detail.
    Rick......(Spelled with a "D" )

7. Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You might find yourself only wanting to read one section, but for me that was impossible.

I actually read the entire book cover to cover about 3 times in a row when I first got mine.

After polishing the first time, you will re-read it a couple more times.

As you gain experience, you go back and say to yourself "Ah, OK. THAT's why Mike said to do it this way".

If you want to play guitar, listen to and study Jimi Hendrix.

If you want to polish paint, listen to and study Mike P.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

9. Likes MasterBlasterII liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did the same reading sections over n over. Then I would practice on a vehicle. Try taking one of Mike’s classes if you can.
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    First thank you for your purchase and your trust. My how-to books are just as in-depth as any reply or article I share here on the forum and I hope most people would agree that my info is in-depth, not one-liners like you find other places.

As for which part of the book to read?

Read the first half of the book from the beginning to the part that covers orbital polishes. I always tell people,

If you read my book, The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine", you will know MORE than most detailers.

And the reason for that is because it is PACKED with meaty information.

I'm sure I will pick up a few things, if not more then a few. There's still plenty of open storage in this old head.

But I was disappointed for a moment, I thought you were sending me some steaks when I saw; "PACKED with meaty". Thought maybe you had a deal with Omaha Steaks going on.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advise everyone. I hope to take one of his classes one day. I almost did last year up at Indy, but someone decided to rearrange my car to their liking.

But my daughter just graduated college as a Bio-medical Illustrator. She had to take art and medical classes, and they are not cheap. So old Dad is going to help her get on her feet.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain with college costs having put my 2 daughters through college. This forum has many seasoned detailers that can offer advice ( I have only been detailing for one year so still learning.
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast