autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Powder Coated Roof Rack Protection

I recently purchased Dr. Beasley’s Matte Wheel Cleanser & Matte Wheel Seal from the Autogeek.netwebsite for my matte wheels. I also recently purchased a GOBI roof rack for my ‘18 4Runner & would like to prolong the life of this expensive purchase. The rack is black powder coated.

I was wondering if Dr. Beasley’s Matte Wheel Seal would be a good choice for me to protect the roof rack with? I would imagine so but wasn’t sure if perhaps any runoff, caused by (Florida) rain would be detrimental to my Toyota’s soft paint? I will be applying a Ceramic Coat on the Toyota before installing the roof rack so this may help.

I also sent this question to Dr. Beasley’s & they responded, “Matte Wheel Seal in theory could be applied to your roof rack, but I think you'd have a better experience using Matte Paint Coating. It lasts longer and has stronger hydrophobic properties, which is definitely important for rainy climates.”

I see that AutoGeek carries this product, however is it worth it to dish out another $50 in this case, or would the Wheel Seal work just fine? Obviously Dr. Beasley’s has my business in mind, and I know Mike is affiliated w AG but I feel he would offer an honest opinion.

I’ve searched the forums a bit but couldn’t find what I was looking for. Any thoughts are welcome.

(Link to GOBI rack in case more detailed finish info needed: https://www.gobiracks.com/product/gobi-toyota-4runner-5th-gen-stealth-rack)

-Glenn

Mike Phillips

Re: Powder Coated Roof Rack Protection

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa 4R TRD ORP View Post

and I know Mike is affiliated w AG but I feel he would offer an honest opinion.

Apologies for the late reply, I've been a tick busy...

10 cars detailed in 2 days! Texas Roadshow Detailing Class!

I have not used the Dr. Beasley Wheel Seal and off hand don't know much about it. After answering questions about detailing professionally now for 17+ years one thing I know is

The manufacturer knows thier product best

So I would be honest and cede to the recommendation from Dr. Beasley.

I would commend you for being proactive in treating the surface NOW while it looks great/new. Too many people wait, (because it looks good already), and don't do anything until one day they look at the finish for something like this and see it now looks UGLY from zero maintenance.

It's called - PMs or Preventative Maintenance

If it were me, I would use what you have and after it's gone upgrade to the other product.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

I really appreciate you taking the time to get back to me.

Man I thought I was busy.. taking the week off to detail my 4Runner from top to bottom (oh and install the roof rack). Your back has to be killing you at the moment.

Anyway, I saw into the future and had already heeded your advice. Went ahead and applied 2 coats of the Dr. B Wheel Seal to the rack. After studying your videos and doing some product research I’ve successfully applied my first coating of ceramic to the vehicle (BLACKFIRE Pro). Took quite awhile as there is obviously a lot of prep involved, not to mention surface area on the 4R. I’ll be applying a seconding coating in the morning followed by SiO2 and finally, installing the GOBI roof rack.

I’m a sucker for most detailing products on AG so I’m sure I’ll be upgrading to the Matte Paint Coating and applying it to my wheels and rack during the next detail or two.

Thanks again for the response as I know you’re busy on the road teaching classes!
    Glenn

Post Thanks / Like

Pics of the truck ? ! Powder Coated Roof Rack Protection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I ran out of time and still need to do the black trim (using Black Wow) and also need to take the wheels off and do those + the tires. As mentioned in my original post, I’ll be using Dr. Beasley’s Matte Wheel Cleanser & Matte Wheel Seal.

Other than that I’m pretty happy with the results. It was four days of tough work in the 1,000% Florida humidity.

One thing I’ve noticed with the BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic however - after driving home in the rain (2 days after application) rather than the water beading off of the vehicle it seems to just sit on top of the ceramic coating, even on the extreme angle of the doors. You can see this in the last picture. Keep in mind I applied the Dr. Beasley’s Glass IQ to the windows and it is having a similar affect, but that’s another product/story. I’m more surprised about the ceramic.

Mike answered my original question so I may take this to a different thread to see why the hydrophobicity isn’t repelling it off of the vehicle like I expected. This isn’t a big deal to me so long as the ceramic is protecting the paint. And this may just be my lack of complete knowledge when it comes to ceramics. Perhaps it’s behaving as it should.

Paint Prep Routine for what it’s worth:
    Wash 1 (using 2BM)
    Iron X
    Wet Clay (Use Nanoskin Glide & Autoscrub while truck is still wet)
    Wash 2 (again 2BM)
    Clay Mitt

Pro Primer Polish (applied via Rupes LHR 12E Duetto Random Orbital + LC Blue Light Polish Pad 6.5”)
    Paint Prep spray (applied immediately before Ceramic)
    Pro Ceramic Coating (2 applications, 3 for roof)
    SiO2 Spray sealant (2 applications)

Powder Coated Roof Rack Protection-1-jpgPowder Coated Roof Rack Protection-2-jpgPowder Coated Roof Rack Protection-3-jpgPowder Coated Roof Rack Protection-4-jpgPowder Coated Roof Rack Protection-5-jpgPowder Coated Roof Rack Protection-6-jpgPowder Coated Roof Rack Protection-7-jpgPowder Coated Roof Rack Protection-8-jpgPowder Coated Roof Rack Protection-9-jpg