autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Wurth Paint

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wurth Paint

Good Morning, I am redoing the plastic on a Honda CRV after cleaning the surfaces and masking off all the paint, I wiped the surface with acetone to degrease the areas. This worked just fine in all but 1% where I got fish eyes in the paint. Left it to dry over night. Any suggestions? Have a great day.

Mike Phillips

Re: Wurth Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Caymandave View Post

Good Morning, I am redoing the plastic on a Honda CRV after cleaning the surfaces and masking off all the paint, I wiped the surface with acetone to degrease the areas.

This worked just fine in all but 1% where I got fish eyes in the paint. Left it to dry over night.

Any suggestions? Have a great day.

Hi Dave,

We're you one of the guys at my last class that helped to put the Wurth Trim Paint on the Honda CRV in the class? This one,

Wurth Trim Paint
    The driver's side trim was damaged on the 2000 Honda CRV so Wurth Trim Paint to the rescue.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw the results and why I choose that to do to this Honda. Still have some fish eyes but my mother in law will never see them. Just wonder what todo next time??? It was a great class.

Mike Phillips

I saw the results and why I choose that to do to this Honda.

Still have some fish eyes but my mother in law will never see them.

Just wonder what todo next time???

Fish Eyes are the visual indicator of Surface Tension. Most people think Fish Eyes when paint is caused by Silicone and YES silicone can cause Fish Eyes but so can ANYTHING that creates surface tension, for example the margarine you spread on toast at breakfast can cause fish eyes.

So avoiding Fish Eyes is just a matter of getting the surface super clean and free from any pre-existing trim dressing. I'd suggest these options or all of them,

1. Machine scrubbing with an APC or Engine Degreaser during the wash process
    2. Using Preps-All Wax and Grease Remover - this is what we used in the class you attended.
    3. Washing a second time using an Scotchbrite pad to both scrub and scuff the surface

If anyone, for example the Dealership where the car was sold, had ever used a plastic trim dressing or even an Armor-All type product, anything like this has to be 100% removed to avoid Fish Eyes.

It was a great class.

I agree. Great people, lots of cars and lots of hands-on. If you could carve out some time, I would super appreciate it if you could summarize your experience in a post to the pictures and comments thread here,

Pictures: May 2019 Detailing Bootcamp Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

I have over 400 pictures now documenting what took place in the class and testimonials from the people that actually attended the class are the MOST power form of advertising for our classes.

It was also a genuine pleasure to meet you and work with you and I told my wife about your offer for the suite in the Cayman Islands.

Post Thanks / Like

i would suggest using a wax and grease remover prior to painting over the acetone. spray it on, let it sit for 30 seconds for the WAG to lift any contaminants,wipe it off. let surface dry for 15 minutes prior to paint.

Mike Phillips

Here's a wax and grease remover that you can find at most hardware store or PBE stores

I also showed it in this more recent thread,

Little Deuce Coupe - Hotrod Detailing

Here's the final results after a lot of work went into the old Ford....

Here's the deal for those who have never used it.....

It stinks HORRIBLY!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike its not my car. You and I could see the small defects but a 79 year old lady won’t know the difference. I’ll post some before and after pics of my first job.