autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: wolfgang paintwork polish enhancer scratches my paint

For working on Motorcycles, even the Griot's 3" Orbital polisher with THIN foam pads like the Griot's BOSS pads or the Lake Country ThinPro pads would give you better results than working by hand.

Here's Chuck working the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher on a magazine-quality 1947 Chevy Pickup at my last class.

He's using the very coarse BOSS 2" Foam Cutting pad on a 2" Griot's backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heloguy View Post
    Harley paint is notorious for being soft. I had a vivid black road king, and it scratched and marred just from looking at it. Traded it in for a 2017 Pearl white Street Glide Special, and never looked back. Good luck, I hope you figure it out.
    This is so true! I have a black road glide and it marrs just sitting in the garage. With all of the Harleys I have done the "Best" finish I get is using 3D Polish with my GG. I haven't tried every finishing polish, but with the ones I own 3D polish finishes the best for me. My vivid black is one of the most difficult paints I have worked on. It took some time, and a lot of bad words to figure out what it likes to be finished with

3. Likes heloguy liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Griot's 3" polisher and I'm using Griot's 3" black foam finishing pads. I stopped working on the bike to think a little while I'm waiting for Wolfgang polish.... I've put the paint cleaner aside and I'm concentrating on the machine polishing which is causing haze. there's a bunch of things I think I'm doing wrong.
    The 3" backing plate isn't perpendicular to the spindle and it's wobbling up and down when it spins, so I got new backing plates that are straight
    I think I am polishing too large an area, and I'm working the product too long (easy to fix)
    I'm not cleaning the pads as I use them (should I use a terry towel or blow with compressed air?)
    The pad chatters sometimes, probably in the concave area on the fairing (should I hold the pad at an angle so that only a portion of the pad is in contact with the surface?)

Which is better, pad conditioner (Blackfire) or priming the pad with polish?
    What's with the Griot boss pads, any advantage to what I'm using?

As I told you, I picked the Griot's orbital, their gray finishing pads and the CG products cause that's what they used at the Harley dealership near me

Post Thanks / Like

Have you marked the backing plate with a Sharpie to make sure its spinning?
    I have a GG6 with a backing plate for 4in pads, can't hep you with the GG3

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by coop creek View Post

I stopped working on the bike to think a little while I'm waiting for Wolfgang polish....

Hi coop creek,

Apologies for not getting to this sooner, it's so hard to keep up with all my job duties and hit 100%

The package is going out today.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, thankyou very much

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's an update,

wolfgang paintwork polish enhancer scratches my paint-img_1531a-jpg

wolfgang paintwork polish enhancer scratches my paint-img_1543a-jpg

I polished the whole bike today with Wolfgang finishing glaze.

This stuff is really, really good.

It got out all the hazing and tiny scratches on the batwing faring that were left/caused by Chemical Guys V38.

I did 4 or 5 passes I think. I did all the other painted surfaces and they came out perfect. I even did the front forks which are painted gloss black and are cylindrical with the 3" polisher, and got out the swirls that were there from previous washes.

I took the bike out in the sun and couldn't find any problems.

The pictures are after polishing. I'll put the deep gloss paint sealant on tomorrow.

9. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

I polished the whole bike today with Wolfgang finishing glaze.
    Am I safe to assume the package I sent came today?

This stuff is really, really good.

It got out all the hazing and tiny scratches on the batwing faring that were left/caused by CG V38.

I put a lot of focus on two topics a LOT on this forum, in my how-to articles and always in my detailing classes. Those two topics are,

Abrasive Technology

And the word "touch" as in touching the paint.

I'm going to write an article about these two topics next week. A few years ago I created a poll and ding-dang, I must be stupid because the majority of people keep telling me it's TECHNIQUE that's most important.

POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

But I know what I know and I've been doing this a long time now. Abrasive technology trumps technique infinity.

Glad it's working out for you.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yes, I got the samples today, thanks again. The Wolfgang polish is easy to use and leaves a perfect finish. the other product was leaving haze and scratches. I don't think technique explains it. It's the polish.

12. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great when you have a great polish now. It's very less forgiving when you polishing softer paints. Great work and nice on your follow up.

Next is to be dialed in with a gentle wash method. But the first pictures you show where you have not been polishing looks great. If you want a tips, Carpro has a 2 finger wool mitt and a full size wool wash mitt. Combo those 2 and a great lubricated car soap like Carpro Reset and you have a nice gentle wash. It's a little more care with wool wash mitts in how you do afterwards with it. But it's hard to find a more gentle wash media than wool. And have a wash mitt dedicated for the painted panels and the rest of like a wheel mitt.

CarPro 2Fingers Mini Wool Wash Mitt, wool finger mitt, mini wash mitt

Merino wool wash mitt, auto wash mitt, sheepskin wash mitt

/ Tony

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast