autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Beater Car Detailing - 2000 Honda CRV - Survivor car - 17 years old - all original

Beater Car Detailing - 2000 Honda CRV - Survivor car - 17 years old - all original

I love detailing beater cars, you know, cars that are simply older, usually not well taken care of cosmetically and just someone's day-to-day grocery getter and transportation car. This 2000 Honda belongs to my neighbor Bill. Bill told me when they bought their Condo unit it came with the Condo. He and his wife are Snowbirds here in Florida and in a few days they are leaving Florida for the summer.

I've always noticed how nice of condition this old Honda is in except the fact that it is in dire need of a good detail. So I asked Bill if I could use it in my class and he said "sure!".

Perfect text book example of headlights that need to be corrected.

My upcoming class will be learning the art and craft of what I always call,

Production Detailing

That is NOT doing multiple steps to the paint but instead besides the normal washing, drying and claying, they will be using the BLACKFIRE One Step on this car.

This will also be one of the cars we wash on Saturday morning. Saturday is always Wash Day in my 3-day classes and this is when everyone gets to learn all the techniques I teach for getting a car SUPER clean before machine buffing. This includes,

1. Engine Detailing
    2. Headlight Correction
    3. Glass Polishing
    4. Cleaning Wheels (first before tires)
    5. Machine scrubbing tires (second after tires)
    6. Chemical decontamination of the car
    7. Machine scrubbing plastic trim and cladding
    8. Washing and rinsing
    9. Mechanical decontamination of the car
    10. Drying

When you do 10 unique cleaning steps to a car - take my word for it, not only is it super clean it's perfectly prepared for machine polishing.

Also note the amount of plastic trim and cladding on this Honda. We will be going over how to use Solution Finish to restore a new factory fresh look before the machine polishing step.

2. Likes Diner, SWETM, PaulMys, derass, JKDesign and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beater Car Detailing - 2000 Honda CRV - Survivor car - 17 years old - all original

That Honda CR-V is going to look awesome after your detailing class.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beater Car Detailing - 2000 Honda CRV - Survivor car - 17 years old - all original

Looking forward to this.

My ex had a 2000 CRV in silver. The condition was similarly as good with low miles and perfectly maintained since the get-go. It's a damn shame that she didn't listen to me and traded it in one day for $500 towards her new car "just to get it out of the way". It drove like crap compared to a modern car, but it would've been the perfect beater. Its been over five years and it still pisses me off that I let that one slip through my grasp (the CRV not her).

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect car and in fact this type of detail/ownership actually is the type that I enjoy most. I just talked with a customer about cars and I've always had new cars and tend to get them every 2-3 years. However, after picking up my son's nearly 19 year old Jeep I'm into these old-school cars....dare I say old-school-cool as honestly, even something like this old CRV is cool to see in brand new condition which is what you're going to have when it's completed.

Very nice and looking forward to following the progress and results.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

6. Likes JKDesign, fly07sti liked this post
    Mike Phillips

And...

Being that it's never been chemically decontaminated my guess is it's going to bleed like a stuck pig when we spray it down with an Iron Remover.

We'll find out in less than 2 weeks.

This is going to be a great class! The other cars for this class are here,

Training Cars for the 2019 May 3-Day Detailing Bootcamp Class

8. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Mike Phillips

:update:

If you look at the plastic trim on this Honda it's black. The plastic cladding around the rear bumper, it is grey.

From memory, I remember Honda using two colors for plastic on these cars back then, kind of wacky? What was Honda thinking? But to make sure I wasn't just seeing EXTREME FADING - I sent an e-mail to my very good friend and President and Founder of Solution Finish - Chris West.

Here's what I sent him,

Hi Chris,

Because you’re more of an expert on this than I am I'd like your expert opinion.

I have a 2000 Honda CRV for my class in another week. The side plastic trim on the doors looks to be black but the plastic cladding on the back looks to be grey?

Below is the thread I created and some pictures. Is this your experience with this vintage Honda?

Or did all the plastic start out black and now it’s simply turned grey from neglect?

Here's what Chris West wrote back,

Hello Mike,

Well... Honda is one of the few manufacturers that did mix gray and black trim etc. on the same vehicle.

Although you are correct sometimes plastic is so oxidize the black trim does look gray. When in doubt always start with black and if the trim is gray originally, the black will not make it black just make the grey pop again.

If you've never met Chris West before - he's a cool dude.

The GOOD NEWS is... we have both Solution Finish in black and Solution Finish in Fusion Grey!

So no problems....

10. Likes JKDesign, Diner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome.

This is my ‘bread & butter’ all day long. I would say 80% probably even more of my work is this kind of thing. Maybe not this era but you get the picture. I see the potential here for quite the turn around & once it has had a thorough wash process, decontamination, wheels scrubbed up, the headlights restored & a good AIO it’s going to be sparkling like a diamond. Top that off with the finest trim restoration product in the detailing world & hey presto! It’ll be like a time machine back to the year 2000 & this Honda just rolled outta the showroom.

Too cool, I look forward to seeing the results on this. Going to bea good one for the class for sure. An eye opener for many I’m sure, seeing that you don’t have to do a multi step polishing process to achieve fantastic results.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Perfect car and in fact this type of detail/ownership actually is the type that I enjoy most. I just talked with a customer about cars and I've always had new cars and tend to get them every 2-3 years. However, after picking up my son's nearly 19 year old Jeep I'm into these old-school cars....dare I say old-school-cool as honestly, even something like this old CRV is cool to see in brand new condition which is what you're going to have when it's completed.

Very nice and looking forward to following the progress and results.
    I also love having a car from my earlier years that is very clean. It’s kind of like a new age classic.
    This is my DD. 1993 Sentra, 129k miles, runs like a champ and it’s kind of unique in the sense that you don’t see them on the road much. Especially not in this condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes Aaryn NZ, irvsmith liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

Awesome.

This is my ‘bread & butter’ all day long. I would say 80% probably even more of my work is this kind of thing. Maybe not this era but you get the picture. I see the potential here for quite the turn around & once it has had a thorough wash process, decontamination, wheels scrubbed up, the headlights restored & a good AIO it’s going to be sparkling like a diamond.

Top that off with the finest trim restoration product in the detailing world & hey presto! It’ll be like a time machine back to the year 2000 & this Honda just rolled outta the showroom.

Too cool, I look forward to seeing the results on this. Going to bea good one for the class for sure. An eye opener for many I’m sure, seeing that you don’t have to do a multi step polishing process to achieve fantastic results.

Aaryn NZ.

Thanks for chiming in Aaryn...

I'm looking forward to seeing the transformation to this car myself.

I don't have pictures of the interior but if I remember correctly it too is a mess. So we'll also be suing this to teach,

Steam Cleaners

Hot Water Extractors

15. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post