autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Original BASECOAT/CLEARCOAT paint - 1996 Porsche 993

Original BASECOAT/CLEARCOAT paint - 1996 Porsche 993

As I type this in the year 2019 the paint on this Porsche is 23 years old. Most people attribute "Classic Car" status to any car that's 20 to 25 years old so this car is considered antique or close to being considred antique.

I did my original Test Spot using,

• Lake Country 5.5" ThinPro white foam polishing pad
    • Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover - This is a MEDIUM cut polish

This removed the swirls and micro-marred the heck out of the paint. I was floored! This combo is NOT an aggressive combo.

So next I tried,

• Lake Country 5.5" ThinPro white foam polishing pad
    • Wolfgang Finishing Glaze - This is a FINE cut polish

This removed the defects and left faint micro-marring. At this point I knew the paint was soft and the marring in the second Test Spot was likely from the pad.

So next I tried,

• Lake Country 5.5" SDO black foam finishing pad
    • Wolfgang Finishing Glaze - This is a FINE cut polish

This combo removed the swirls, scratches and water spots and left a flawless black finish. This just goes to show how important it is to do a Test Spot to any car you have never worked on previously.

Here's a few pictures....

I also washed and then treated the original canvas top using RaggTopp products. Will try to add the pictures.

2. Thanks dlc95, TheDubs thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Original BASECOAT/CLEARCOAT paint - 1996 Porsche 993

Stunning black German paint now!

There have been times when I have assumed a certain paint will react to an abrasive and combo favorably i.e. a medium cut polish and pad. When this happens it is because all the other "x" cars I've done like this were on the medium to hard end of the scale. Sometimes this first test spot surprises me and is a bit too much. That's why we do a test spot.

Usually my assumptions are pretty good but it's a curve ball or a changeup pitch that reminds me to not trust my previous experiences and react appropriately to what's in front of me right now. I adjust to remove the defects BUT preserve as much of the original paint I can.

Another reaction to my first test may even be to change the machine used. While my test may have been with my rotary tool or my Flex 3401 (again, first assumption is it's hard and I'm "on the clock") i find the paint is softer than I thought and maybe my PC with the right combo may be more effective with less trauma to the precious remaining paint.

The other thing you've instilled in me, Mike, is to really examine the results from each test area. Good lighting and really examining what you're looking at to determine pad haze from abrasive reaction. Easy to do on black and not so easy on whites/greys.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post

The other thing you've instilled in me, Mike, is to really examine the results from each test area.

Good lighting and really examining what you're looking at to determine pad haze from abrasive reaction.

Easy to do on black and not so easy on whites/greys.

Correct. To me - doing a proper Test Spot is key to great and consistent end-results.

Also - I forgot to add this in the first post - I did each Test Spot on a new section of paint. You cannot do a second or third test spot to a section you've already tested on or your results are skewed.

I spoke with the owner of this Porsche this morning - he says he gets so many compliments on the paint (and car)

5. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For someone who consistently delivers incredible work, this has to be one of my favorites you've ever posted.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

For someone who consistently delivers incredible work, this has to be one of my favorites you've ever posted.

Wow! Thank you. And there's only 8 pictures.

I think I have some before and after pics PLUS I took pictures of the flexible plastic back window and has bad it looked before and how nice it came out after machine polishing both the inside and the outside.

I also did the RaggTopp treatment to the top and it really came out nice.

I just finished packing a pallet for my next class, I should have a little free time tomorrow or next week to post a few more pics.

Sincerely appreciate the compliment.

8. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This article is very scary. Original paint and 1996 really doesn’t sound too impressive till I realized I’m out of fingers and toes counting how old that is. Not getting any younger, are we?

All joking aside, very nice work on that beauty!!
    Jim

10. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Wow! Thank you. And there's only 8 pictures.

I think I have some before and after pics PLUS I took pictures of the flexible plastic back window and has bad it looked before and how nice it came out after machine polishing both the inside and the outside.

I also did the RaggTopp treatment to the top and it really came out nice.

I just finished packing a pallet for my next class, I should have a little free time tomorrow or next week to post a few more pics.

Sincerely appreciate the compliment.

You knocked it out of the park!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

This article is very scary. Original paint and 1996 really doesn’t sound too impressive till I realized I’m out of fingers and toes counting how old that is. Not getting any younger, are we?
    Yeah I have to get a calculator out to do the math.

2019 (this year), - 1996 = 23 years old

I think by most people's standards, if you have car this old and it looks this good,

You're doing good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

All joking aside, very nice work on that beauty!!

Thanks Jim!

Mike Phillips

14. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Shared here,

Clay / polish question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast