autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Buffing pad comparison chart

Good day Mike,

I have a question about flat foam pads. I have looked on this and other forums and have yet to find an answer. I'm new to the forums and not totally sure how they work.

I have had some Buff-n-Shine flat pads for a few years and I just recently purchased some Lake Country flat pads. What I would like to know is if you would have a comparison chart on the two, or can provide me with a link to one. My father just aquired a 2005 red Thunderbird and it looks like it might of lived in shine and swirl car wash. I know I will be using a few pads and will have to probably use both brands.

If you can help, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buffing pad comparison chart

Can I get any help on this? It would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll third this request. Pads and color combinations can be confusing and to see them all laid out on a chart according to color and cut would be very helpful.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Me Time View Post

Good day Mike,

I have a question about flat foam pads. I have looked on this and other forums and have yet to find an answer. I'm new to the forums and not totally sure how they work.

I have had some Buff-n-Shine flat pads for a few years and I just recently purchased some Lake Country flat pads. What I would like to know is if you would have a comparison chart on the two, or can provide me with a link to one. My father just aquired a 2005 red Thunderbird and it looks like it might of lived in shine and swirl car wash. I know I will be using a few pads and will have to probably use both brands.

If you can help, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks Greg

I don't know of any comparison charts for different companies buffing pads. Sounds like a great project for someone with some time to spare.

What I do is keep it simple.

Use foam cutting pads for correction work
    Use foam polishing pads for polishing or one-step cleaner/waxes
    Use foam finishing pads for finishing work.

I don't really like closed-cell foam pads and I share why in my how-to book The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine.

I use both Buff and Shine and Lake Country pads when I detail cars professionally, do tool and product reviews and teach car and boat detailing classes, so they are both great quality pad lines.

In my experience - the pad is the least important factor for getting pro results as long as you do like I typed above and match the "type" of pad to the process.

The MOST important factor is abrasive technology.

Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

I’m pretty sure Autogeek has a comparison chart of Lake Country pads on its site. It should say which are for cutting,polishing, and finishing.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I don't know of any comparison charts for different companies buffing pads. Sounds like a great project for someone with some time to spare.

What I do is keep it simple.

Use foam cutting pads for correction work
    Use foam polishing pads for polishing or one-step cleaner/waxes
    Use foam finishing pads for finishing work.

I don't really like closed-cell foam pads and I share why in my how-to book The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine.

I use both Buff and Shine and Lake Country pads when I detail cars professionally, do tool and product reviews and teach car and boat detailing classes, so they are both great quality pad lines.

In my experience - the pad is the least important factor for getting pro results as long as you do like I typed above and match the "type" of pad to the process.

The MOST important factor is abrasive technology.

Thanks Mike for the reply. I just saw your post that you had been busy working at the Barrett-Jackson auction and spending a few imaginary million dollars on cars like the rest of us. I've been a "lurker" for a while and have read most of your posts on buffing out the paint. I'd love to take one of your classes, but my daughter is getting ready graduate college, so I don't get any play time money for a while.

With your experience working with both brands would you say their colors line up close or would they be off? I keep reading each brands description, but I think I'm starting to over think it.

Thanks, Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    What are the flat pads from Buff n Shine, openot or closed cell? I don't see it anywhere and would like to know. Also, whstt are he pads that you use that are open cell? I'm using a 2nd Gen Griots da.

Thanks, Greg

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Me Time View Post
    Mike,
    What are the flat pads from Buff n Shine, openot or closed cell? I don't see it anywhere and would like to know. Also, whstt are he pads that you use that are open cell? I'm using a 2nd Gen Griots da.

Thanks, Greg

You want the Buff & Shine URO-TECH pads.

These ones,

Buff & Shine Uro-Tec Foam Pad System for long throw orbital polishers

Open cell will take more abuse and last longer than closed cells. I share this in my book you just bought,

The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine

(I forget the page but it's in the foam pad section)

Mike Phillips

Sorry for the late reply - been a tick busy...

10 cars detailed in 2 days! Texas Roadshow Detailing Class!

We used the Buff and Shine Uro-Tech pads on the 2 Corvettes in the above write-up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast