autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swirl marks

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Swirl marks

Hi Mike,
    I would like to remove swirl marks on my 2007 Roush 427r (vista blue) and was wondering if the following steps would be the way to go.I am new at doing my own detailing but have looked at a lot of your videos.

- Wash car with Clean Slate car wash.
    - Clay car
    - Wash again with conditioner shampoo
    - Remove swirls with VSS (DA buffer)
    - Polish with Klasse AIO ( I also have Klasse sealant,but thought I should skip in this process)
    - Finish with Souverign (sp ??) paste wax by hand.

Thn
    ank you, Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Swirl marks

VSS does not perform very well. There are much better products you could use to remove your swirls. Depending on how hard or soft or paint is (you'll only know with a test spot) you could get away with just a polish. But you may need a compound as well if the car hasn't been cared for before. If you already have VSS might as well try it but don't expect much out of it.
    Bruno Soares

3. Thanks pdube thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not familiar with VSS, but I can tell you that polishing with Klasse AIO will not provide any correction. Klasse AIO has chemical cleaners but no abrasives and is more of a prep for Klasse Sealant Glaze with it's own protective ability built in.

Is this car a garage queen/special event type of car? If so, I'd hit it with some quality polishes and then jump right to the wax.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Thanks pdube thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This would be a good time to jump on board the Pinical train and make the Rouch great again

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for delay in response,yes my roush is a garage queen/Sunday driver.Only have 9k miles on it and paint is in Excellent condition.I would like to strip wax and put a good finish on it.I am wondering if the following steps would be better (I do all applications by hand,old school).
    - wash car with clean slate car wash.
    -clay car.
    -re wash with Maguire shampoo conditioner.
    - use pinnacle paintwork lotion.
    -apply Klasse auto.
    -apply Klasse sealant.
    -finish with pinnacle souverign paste wax.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's your garage queen and you would like it in the best condition. A light polishing with a DA polisher is so much worth it to both clean the paint and bump up the gloss to a higher level. And if you want to level down the paint so the defects are gone. This is a lot of hard work to do. But also depending on the product you use and how you use it. Hand polishing can be more aggressive approach than polishing with a polisher. As you have a hard time to get consistency in pressure and some times uneven pressure too. So a lot can be worth in the longrun.

If you are going to do the process in the last post. Pinnacle paintwork lotion is almost the same that Klasse AIO. At least the cleaner part from these 2. So skip one of them would be my suggestion. If you already have the Klasse products which I think or is it any certain reason to use them that you prefer? Otherwise on a garage queen I would bet Pinnacle Souverän over the Pinnacle Paintwork Lotion would look awesome. Apply another wax layer as needed after that. Maybe monthly or so depending on how often you drive the car or the day before you take out the car. Or maintain it with the Pinnacle Crystal Mist Detailer Spray.

9. Thanks pdube thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Should I use the Klasse sealant over the Pinnacle paintwork?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by pdube View Post
    Should I use the Klasse sealant over the Pinnacle paintwork?

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion is NON-ABRASIVE - it will not remove swirls and scratches. It's not supposed to do this - it's for light "cleaning" of the surface. Most if not all dedicated paint cleaners work like this.

A paint cleaner is an either/or product.

You EITHER use a paint cleaner OR you use real compounds and polishes (with abrasives), but you would never use both. (try to find someone in the FB world that can tell you this and then explain it)

If you want to remove swirls and scratches you need and want to use the best quality abrasive technology you can afford. When it comes to abrasive technology it wither works GREAT or it doesn't. There is no grey area.

You can never go wrong with the Pinnacle compound, swirl remover and/or finishing polish. They are expensive, actually they cost about the same as any 3M compound or polish, so it's kind of relative, I never see body shop guys complain about the cost of 3M products and body shops use a ton of this stuff.

If you want to get just ONE product that will ikely do everything you need it to do then get the Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover. This is a medium cut polish.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by pdube View Post

Sorry for delay in response,yes my roush is a garage queen/Sunday driver.Only have 9k miles on it and paint is in Excellent condition.I would like to strip wax and put a good finish on it.I am wondering if the following steps would be better (I do all applications by hand,old school).
    Clearcoat have hard paint, generally speaking. I don't know anyone I this industry that actually knows how to work swirls out by hand. I used to teach this all the time when I worked at Meguiar's but after coming to Autogeek, well we don't sell hands.

If the paint on your Mustang doesn't have any swirls or scratches then go ahead and use the Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion and then after wipe-off apply the Pinnacle Souvran Paste Wax and skip the Klasse Twins. They won't improve what the two Pinnacle products can do on their own.

So do this,

Step 1: Wash and dry car

Step 2: Clay car if needed - do the baggie test

Step 3: use pinnacle paintwork lotion.

Step 4: finish with pinnacle souverign paste wax

Me?

My rule is if I'm going to clay a car I'm already planning on doing at least one machine polishing step. Clay can mar paint. Be careful, use lots of lube.

Mike Phillips

Here's a black Lexus I wrote an article for showing how to use Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. Wrote this back in 2010 - don't think I've ever used the product since then. It's a good light paint cleaner but for me, for ALL the work it takes to apply a paint cleaner I might as well apply a fine cut polish. I'll get ALL the benefits of the paint cleaner PLUS some swirls and scratch removal.

The key is stick with great abrasive technology. I know some guys say technique is the most important factor but I know different.

How to clay, clean and wax paint by hand with Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion and Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast